Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 09:06 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,358,240 times

Advertisements

I get so angry when I hear these stories. People have no consideration. I had this same problem with my ******* neighbors in Holtsville (which is basically, east Levittown). First one dog, then two and three. Out all day and night. Neighbor would come out of the house nearly every hour all night long. Iwould hear the barking because his dog would go with him. I would look outside and it was pitch black, except for the floating cig but. Then they put flood lights that aimed straight at my house. Brighter than a night game at Yankee stadium. Then, their idiot son used to play lacrosse and slam the ball into the canvas so it would return to him. All we would hear is BOOM, BOOM, BOOM BOOM BOOM for half an hour at a time. It was such a deep thud, it would vibrate our walls. Not to mention the balls that would fly over the fence. I collected over 30 lacrosse balls. Heavy as hell. I was waiting for one to hit my 2 year old. I would have jumped over the fence and shoved it down that kid's throat. Let's talk firepits. The fumes were so strong, our eyes would tear in our own house. I had a 2 month old and called the fire dept. They came, talked to the neighbors and told me they couldnt do anything because firepits are legal. I asked why the fumes were so strong and they said they are burning wet wood soaked in lighter fluid. They said to close all of my windows and keep the central air on. Every single these idiots did were completely intrusive in our life. Everything. I dont believe they were malicious. I really think they were just so inconsiderate, they didnt think that they were bothering anyone. I called the cops tons of times. I had to work and function. I could not be woken up every hour all night long. MY then pregnant wife and 2 year old were not sleeping at all. I talked to them. Then sent a letter. They just acted surprise and wondered who was calling the police. They said they had a lot of family and friends in the police dept. That explains why there was no actions taken. I began calling Code Enforcement. If they do not witness the dog barking for 15 minutes straight, they cannot do anything. After lots of research, it seems that any light that comes over the fence is trespassing. Same with noise. Any time of the day.(at least in Brookhaven). In the end, I sold the house. Lost tons and tons of money after not making a dime after paying over $220,000 in 7 years. But, it was worth it. Moved to Farmingdale and I dont hear a friggin peep ever. Only heard a dog barking one night up til 10:30. I nipped it in the bud and rang the neighbors bell til she answered and told her I would do that everytime we were disturbed by their dog. I never heard it again. Losing my house was so worth it. I can now live in peace. When you have neighbors like that, you cant even enjoy when it is quiet because you know that real soon, you are going to be aggrivated and flipping out.

My suggestion is to do what I did in the new house....... ring their doorbell all night as long as they are disturbing you. Let them know that if you are being disturbed, they will know about it no matter what time of day or night. The parents will stop it. Neighbors seem to think they can do whatever they want on their property. Well, this is long island and not some farm upstate ny. Many of our bedroom windows are 20 feet away from their noise. I dont make a sound. When my niece brought her pomeranium over, it barked once and I told her to bring it in the hosue because I did not want to bother anyone. That is how I am. As much as they think they can do what they want on their property, I have the right not to be disturbed. We all do. Dont take it anymore. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 08:21 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I get so angry when I hear these stories. People have no consideration. I had this same problem with my ******* neighbors in Holtsville (which is basically, east Levittown). First one dog, then two and three. Out all day and night. Neighbor would come out of the house nearly every hour all night long. Iwould hear the barking because his dog would go with him. I would look outside and it was pitch black, except for the floating cig but. Then they put flood lights that aimed straight at my house. Brighter than a night game at Yankee stadium. Then, their idiot son used to play lacrosse and slam the ball into the canvas so it would return to him. All we would hear is BOOM, BOOM, BOOM BOOM BOOM for half an hour at a time. It was such a deep thud, it would vibrate our walls. Not to mention the balls that would fly over the fence. I collected over 30 lacrosse balls. Heavy as hell. I was waiting for one to hit my 2 year old. I would have jumped over the fence and shoved it down that kid's throat. Let's talk firepits. The fumes were so strong, our eyes would tear in our own house. I had a 2 month old and called the fire dept. They came, talked to the neighbors and told me they couldnt do anything because firepits are legal. I asked why the fumes were so strong and they said they are burning wet wood soaked in lighter fluid. They said to close all of my windows and keep the central air on. Every single these idiots did were completely intrusive in our life. Everything. I dont believe they were malicious. I really think they were just so inconsiderate, they didnt think that they were bothering anyone. I called the cops tons of times. I had to work and function. I could not be woken up every hour all night long. MY then pregnant wife and 2 year old were not sleeping at all. I talked to them. Then sent a letter. They just acted surprise and wondered who was calling the police. They said they had a lot of family and friends in the police dept. That explains why there was no actions taken. I began calling Code Enforcement. If they do not witness the dog barking for 15 minutes straight, they cannot do anything. After lots of research, it seems that any light that comes over the fence is trespassing. Same with noise. Any time of the day.(at least in Brookhaven). In the end, I sold the house. Lost tons and tons of money after not making a dime after paying over $220,000 in 7 years. But, it was worth it. Moved to Farmingdale and I dont hear a friggin peep ever. Only heard a dog barking one night up til 10:30. I nipped it in the bud and rang the neighbors bell til she answered and told her I would do that everytime we were disturbed by their dog. I never heard it again. Losing my house was so worth it. I can now live in peace. When you have neighbors like that, you cant even enjoy when it is quiet because you know that real soon, you are going to be aggrivated and flipping out.

My suggestion is to do what I did in the new house....... ring their doorbell all night as long as they are disturbing you. Let them know that if you are being disturbed, they will know about it no matter what time of day or night. The parents will stop it. Neighbors seem to think they can do whatever they want on their property. Well, this is long island and not some farm upstate ny. Many of our bedroom windows are 20 feet away from their noise. I dont make a sound. When my niece brought her pomeranium over, it barked once and I told her to bring it in the hosue because I did not want to bother anyone. That is how I am. As much as they think they can do what they want on their property, I have the right not to be disturbed. We all do. Dont take it anymore. Good luck.

Cry me a river turn the tv up if you want to live in a mime gohead most people don't
long island has plenty of retirement homes that would suit your needs.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:44 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,687,771 times
This is a sad by product of all the down zoning that has and is taking place all over Long Island.its sad

Old 06-16-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
Cry me a river turn the tv up if you want to live in a mime gohead most people don't
long island has plenty of retirement homes that would suit your needs.
Of course the is always an idiot like yourself that responds like that. Tell me why I have to turn on a tv at 2am to block out my jackass neighbor's noise. When I told any of my friends, they said that is ridiculous. In other words, I have to make it louder in my house to block out their loud noise. That really makes sense to you? How is my family going to sleep with e really loud tv blasting? Explain to my then 6 month daughter and 2 year old son that they will just have to deal with it. You sound like a real *******. I am glad I started calling code enforcement and they were being fined weekly for their noise at the end our stay there. I don't need a retirement home. I am decades away from that. I don't think inconsideration is relative to age. I was thinking that when I was there. I wasn't going to use my kids as the excuse. I was single when I first owned the house and I was already fuming. I played in bands, dj'd and did a lot of loud things but not only yard, subjecting all of my neighbors to my noise. I am considerate. Most people are. Trash like yourself have no consideration for others. Good luck living with yourself. I treat people the way I wish to be treated. How come no one makes a leap where I live now? Nothing. Ever. same is true for everyone I know. I got stuck with the idiots. You are probably from the family that lives there.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:36 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
^ inconsideration is a huge part of my annoyances too. We have a skateboarder next door and I don't mind that he does it in the street, but when he puts out his wooden box ramp on his driveway it makes a loud bang and it goes on for hours. I've told him it's loud but the next day he went right back to it, but it's not everyday. Regarding the fire pit my other neighbor who are pretty considerate does it from time to time and it really is so bad you have to close all doors and windows. I would consider myself somewhat lucky it's not generally worse around here. One other thing is everyone has landscapers and they don't all come at once... it's random hours of every day so it's pretty much all the time.

If this were in the city where traffic and ambient noise is constant, it'd be considered white noise and I wouldn't give it a second thought. But if it's out of place, it's out of place and doesn't belong. Even if something is legal, have some consideration for your neighbors. Because if we wanted to, we can annoy just as much.

BTW, don't worry about autoracer, all he does is post 1-2 line remarks with no thought behind them. EDIT>> I just re-read the 1st page and he's there under a different username. You can easily tell it's him even if it weren't for the username.

Last edited by ovi8; 06-16-2013 at 02:49 PM..

Old 06-16-2013, 04:20 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
Well you left the 2am part out and as for rh71 if a skateboard bothers you boy i would have the time of myself making yours a living hell!
did I say a skateboard bothered me? Or was it the constant pounding of a hollow wooden box? Uh huh.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:18 PM

852 posts, read 1,443,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I get so angry when I hear these stories. People have no consideration.
I agree with you. I left a home myself because of the inconsideration of neighbors. Like yourself, it was the best move I ever made. My quality of life increased exponentially. For me, it was radios, fire pits, wood burning stoves, neighbors that didn't mow their lawn, etc. etc.

I'm glad it all worked out for you, as well.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
did I say a skateboard bothered me? Or was it the constant pounding of a hollow wooden box? Uh huh.
Witch hes using as a ramp for his skateboard oh god for bid he be outside he sould be locked in his room playing video games!

Old 06-16-2013, 10:31 PM

The fire pit was enough. Then there were two. One night, it was so bad, we had to leave. I looked through the fence and noticed a tiki lamp on every fence post (every 8 feet). So, they had the pleasure of two lighter fluid-drenched fires going in the pit along with over 15 tiki lamp fires all blowing right in our direction. It was completely unliveable. One night at 3 am, I was awoken to loud voices. It was pitch black outside. No lights, nothing. These morons were talking as if it were noon at the beach. Loud voices, laughter, yelling, the works. I looked out and it was completely black. I closed the window and tuned the tv on, which I thought was ridiculous. Then, I was awoken again at 4 am to a blasting loud guitar through an amplifier. I was completely stunned. If this werent my life, it would be hysterical if I were watching it on Seinfeld. But it was real. I wrote a letter to the owners to let them know this was unacceptable. I get a letter back from the woman saying she was so sorry about the guitar. She had no idea because she was dead asleep. She said it was one of their friends who was at their house for a high school reunion party. These are 40 year old grown ups and they act like a frat house. I can go on and on and on. As bad as the night time stuff was, that lacrosse net was unbearable as were the dogs. None stop. I just cannot imagine why anyone would think that their neighbors would want to hear their dogs barking for hours. One time, the dog was barking from 10:30 to passed midnight. I called the police. It was January and sub freezing. WHo leaves their dog out and goes out for the night. That was the thing. They would light the fires and shine the lights on that pointed directly into our windows and no one would even be outside. They would leave their dogs out and leave for hours on end. None of them went to work. All were home all day and up all night. When I originally told the woman about the lights and the loud party that began at 11 pm and went after midnight, she told me that she will keep it down and they know how it is to be bothered by noise because at their last house, they had a neighbor with a barking dog that never quit. HA! These people ARE the neighbors with the barking dog (three of them). One was theirs, one was the husband's sister's and one was his cousin's. The killer is that we lived in a dead end. I was the last house and they were on the block behind me. So, no one else was bothered by them because they were all far enough away. I will never live in a dead end or cul de sac again. Apparantly, there will always be a family of idiots who feel they own the street because there is minimal traffic. That's when you get all of the suffolk trash letting their kids ride quads up and down the road and also shooting fireworks every saturday night. My friend goes through this every day. He is miserable. He moved from Levittown to a nice "quiet" cul de sac in Selden. He holds a lot in and avoids conflict. I am sort of the same but I have a lower boiling point. I agree that just because it is legal, doesnt mean you have to do it. Why shouldnt you be able to enjoy part of your weekend relaxing in you yard, in a crappy house you are paying nearly $3000 mo to live? As I said in a previous post, I paid over $200,000 in 7 years. Sold the house in a short sale to get the hell out of there and have been happier than ever just renting a house. I dont despise going home from work anymore. I am not miserable when it is a nice day in anticipation the idiots will be outside yet again. I used to HATE Fridays at 5pm when it was a nice sunny day. I would be boiling my entire drive home. Nearly 1/4 million dollars gone and it was the best money I ever threw away. Priceless. And I proved my point when I moved to where I am now and there is nothing going on outside my windows. Quiet as hell, especially after hours, just the way it should be.

As for the skateboarder, all he has to do is move it somewhere else. The street, somewhere down the block, the other side of the yard. My neighbor had his lacrosse net right outside of our bedroom. It was facing the window. Since we were on the rear side, all of the air being pushed from the impact of that ball was thrown right at our direction. All he had to do is move it to the other side of the yard or in the street in their dead end. I would never allow my son to do what their was allowed to do. I would put a sprinkler at the fence and have some of it go over their fence. He will either move it or wipe out and move it. Do they know it bothers you?

Old 06-16-2013, 10:39 PM

People really need a hobbie i know its hard to find one on long island but try!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island