Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 03:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,141,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
what is the differenc beteern Median Household Income and Median Family Income in Layman's terms? I googled it, but can't quite grasp it.
I originally thought that that a household was a taxpaying unit, whereas a family was everybody living under one roof. So if you have a grandparent who lives with you and files seperate tax returns, that's 2 households and one family.

But then somebody else said that a household was everybody living under the same roof, and a family was everybody living under the same roof, but it has to be more than 1 person (so a single person is a household, but not a family)

In any case, those numbers are probably just made up. I remember at one point, the North Lindenhurst article said it was something like 33% Black back in 2000, when it was only 3% Black. (Probably somebody trying to be cool and make it seem as if they lived in the ghetto or something like that). Then somebody else kept messing with the demographics for Port Jefferson Station. I know because I personally corrected them. They could've just put a note that some people think the census numbers aren't accurate because of a large undocumented population or something like that (if that was how they felt) instead of just making up random numbers. Of course the idiot probably changed it again, and I don't feel like keeping up the game. The correct number should be 15% Hispanic, not 40% Hispanic or whatever they put down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island