Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 04:48 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,882,993 times

Advertisements

and while the reviews spoke fondly of the education level, the reviews of the people in the district and the sense of community were fairly dismal. Anybody have any insight on this? It was one of the towns Id consider if move to LI in the future, but I rather live around community oriented folks since Ive spend some good time in the Midwest! Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 06:48 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,895,872 times
Short answer: no
Long answer: there are all kinds of people in every town.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:39 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,765,911 times
There is no sense of community on LI... anywhere.

It's every man for himself as the Island is one of the most expensive places to live in the US. The list is long, we have the highest cell phone county taxes, some of the highest gas prices in the 50 states, some of the highest property taxes anywhere and utility rates that are, again, some of highest in the country.

What does this all have to do with a sense of community? Each town or community is responsible for levying property taxes, an annual event that pits home owners against school administrators and state, county and local politicians. You cannot harbor much of a sense of community when the community leaders are busy trying to raise revenue by raising your taxes. My taxes have been increased around $1k per annum.

I believe the island is a place where people are so busy hustling, just to keep up, sense of community has been lost as has the Island's identity as it's been over-developed and homogenized from the Queens line to Montauk. It's definitely not the same place I grew up in a few decades ago.

I'd wish you luck on finding the 'community' but it's simply not here.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:47 AM

2,630 posts, read 5,000,934 times
Syosset may be ground zero in the war between taxpayers and outrageous school administrator salaries. Google "Carole Hankin" and you'll find tons of info on the saga. In short, the Superintendent of the Syosset schools makes in salary and compensation over $500k/yr. Some defend it, some are fighting it. Thus, the "sense of community" sounds bad. It probably isn't as bad as it sounds and it's a going concern all across LI. Syosset gets the most press because she is the highest paid administrator in the State (and Syosset is hardly the most difficult or largest school district).

Old 08-15-2012, 07:58 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,407,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbathedog View Post
There is no sense of community on LI... anywhere.

It's every man for himself as the Island is one of the most expensive places to live in the US. The list is long, we have the highest cell phone county taxes, some of the highest gas prices in the 50 states, some of the highest property taxes anywhere and utility rates that are, again, some of highest in the country.

What does this all have to do with a sense of community? Each town or community is responsible for levying property taxes, an annual event that pits home owners against school administrators and state, county and local politicians. You cannot harbor much of a sense of community when the community leaders are busy trying to raise revenue by raising your taxes. My taxes have been increased around $1k per annum.

I believe the island is a place where people are so busy hustling, just to keep up, sense of community has been lost as has the Island's identity as it's been over-developed and homogenized from the Queens line to Montauk. It's definitely not the same place I grew up in a few decades ago.

I'd wish you luck on finding the 'community' but it's simply not here.
I strongly disagree. I live in the Harborfields SD and I'm blown away at how tight this community is. I would venture to say Northport is similar. Heck, I have friends in the Huntington SD and they seem to have a tight and involved community as well.

You get what you're willing to put in. If you're involved and active, you'll find that "community" feeling.

To answer the OP's question, I never got the impression that Syosset was pretentious, but I found a lot of Woodbury residents were like that (but that was when I lived in Woodbury almost 15 years ago.)

Old 08-15-2012, 08:14 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,168,126 times
I have to agree with Theimporterswife. My town(Islip) has a great community feel. One of the reason I chose to live here. But we also only graduate 180+/- so once the kids are in school activities you pretty much see the same faces over and over.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:25 AM

10 posts, read 16,968 times
Yes, of course it is. And it has a crappy little town.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:01 AM

1 posts, read 2,618 times
I would believe there are many Pretentious People on Long Island and not just in Syosset.

I have read the opinions of many people and the ones that complain or hate Long Island/Syosset seem to always complain about the housing cost and it is a valid complaint. The simple truth is all Long Island Housing is expensive. Some parts more than others, but all of Long Island is really expensive. As you travel to the North Shore of Long Island, its gets even more expensive.

Pretentious basically means "exaggerated worth or stature".

Are there more Expensive Homes and Fancy Cars in Syosset than some others towns? Yes.

Does that make Syosset more Pretentious? No.

Does Wealth create Pretentious people? Yes.

Syosset is a great town. I moved here for the Schools. I hate my Property Taxes but I understand that is why we have one of the highest decorated School Districts. Plus, Mrs. $550k is now gone and that kind of waste is no longer being tolerated.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:29 PM

246 posts, read 471,183 times
Syosset, it all depends, just like the rest of Long Island. Gonna miss the tight knit group of 5 neighbors that we're leaving. I feel this is in large part to the zoning, .25-.5 acre plots, houses are close so people get to know each other.

Going to lose some of that on the new acre property, in an area more known to be pretentious....but my goal is to be myself, enjoy live and not let others crap on my parade.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:51 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,895,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shera11375 View Post
Not necessarily pretentious but definitely very Chinese. I think people feel there's no sense of community in Syosset because there's no human interaction and eveyrone keeps to themselves but the reason many folk don't comingle with others is that they have limited english ability and are more comfortable speaking in cantonese and mathematics.
You mean the ~20% asian? Not even all Chinese. How exactly do you know their English ability and what are the 75% white doing wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island