Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 06:05 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,239,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbathedog View Post
There is no sense of community on LI... anywhere.

It's every man for himself as the Island is one of the most expensive places to live in the US. The list is long, we have the highest cell phone county taxes, some of the highest gas prices in the 50 states, some of the highest property taxes anywhere and utility rates that are, again, some of highest in the country.

What does this all have to do with a sense of community? Each town or community is responsible for levying property taxes, an annual event that pits home owners against school administrators and state, county and local politicians. You cannot harbor much of a sense of community when the community leaders are busy trying to raise revenue by raising your taxes. My taxes have been increased around $1k per annum.

I believe the island is a place where people are so busy hustling, just to keep up, sense of community has been lost as has the Island's identity as it's been over-developed and homogenized from the Queens line to Montauk. It's definitely not the same place I grew up in a few decades ago.

I'd wish you luck on finding the 'community' but it's simply not here.
.. and don't forget the bridge tolls that make every commodity we purchase more expensive.
I live in a town many people call uppity. Gotta say I have great neighbors though. I'm sure that's the case for many on this forum.
It reminds me of when I worked in a high-rise in NYC years ago. Everyone I passed on the street seemed to be nasty but somehow everyone on the 23rd floor where I worked was wonderful. I used to wonder "maybe the people up on 24 are nice too? ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 08:41 PM

883 posts, read 3,721,509 times
Maybe explain what you are looking for specifically- 'community' is very vague. I spent some time in the Midwest & I will say that in general people in the NY area are more reserved and keep to themselves more than midwesterners. The NY area is also more diverse while many parts of the Midwest are more homogenous so maybe that adds to it? What exactly are you looking for? Are you just looking to be involved and to be a part of a group? There are plenty of opportunities for that- PTA, religious groups, etc. But in the NY area you just can't expect most of the people in any town to be involved in the same things that you are- Garden City comes to mind as a possibility but definitely not Syosset. And as far as pretensiousness, I don't think Syosset is any more or less pretentious than any other upper middle class towns on LI.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:21 AM

5,068 posts, read 3,964,051 times
The area north of the tracks including parts of Oyster Bay Cove and Muttontown, might be considered prestigious by the residents of the Syosset School District. I haven't heard Syosset described as 'pretentious'. Syosset itself is not known for a vibrant or even reasonably attractive downtown or a particularly neighborly vibe. If that is what you are looking for, Syosset - like much of Long island - may not be your place.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:31 PM

570 posts, read 1,215,975 times
My cousins grew up in Syosset back in the 50's, 60's. Their neighborhood was great, lots of nice people and friends, like my neighborhood in Huntington. Now I live a couple of blocks away from where I grew up and my street is still great. I've always loved the Huntington village area.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:39 AM

1,015 posts, read 1,656,574 times
You think there is no sense of community on LI? In Florida, with these god damn HOA communities, they have such a limited sense of community. But to answer your question, no.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:42 PM

8,818 posts, read 21,292,593 times
There are many small-town communities still on Long Island , ones with villages w/ local shops and
restaurants. There are close-knit communities where people help each other and that have street fairs and local clubs much the way they did in the fifties. People tend to stay in these communities and raise their children there. Babylon Village, Huntington Beach, Sea Cliff ... those are just a few.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 11-03-2013, 06:18 PM

5,295 posts, read 4,778,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles20 View Post
You think there is no sense of community on LI? In Florida, with these god damn HOA communities, they have such a limited sense of community. But to answer your question, no.
So true. There is a much bigger sense of community on LI than when I lived in FL. Part of the reason is its so transient there. People were constantly moving in and out it always seemed.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:22 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,523,421 times
Syosset offers a good school district and that's about it. It's basically the kind of place I think of when you hear about teenagers turning to drugs and alcohol because there's nothing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island