Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 12:51 PM

46 posts, read 18,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
Someone else just recently said the exact same thing.
And who is he to decide why someone is in a hurry? If you or your wife (whichever) were in labor would you still then say "ohh only saves 15 min who cares"? What if my commute is 50 minutes, so 20 mins is a huge chunk. Seriously how can people complain about traffic but then refuse to go over 55 when it opens up. You do realize after sitting in traffic people may want to compensate. The national oil crisis is over (even the recent attack on saudi fields didn't end up doing much) and there is no reason why the limit should still be 55. Do research, it was not for safety, only to conserve fuel. 55 is not even a mile a minute. So yes, even 80 mph is safe for a wide open interstate. It would at least make more sense to gradually increase the speed limit as you head out east, not to just cap it at 55 regardless of how much the road empties out. Some sections of the road are so deserted you couldn't cause an accident even if you tried. Also, impeding the flow of traffic is just as dangerous as going that same amount faster than traffic. Speed differential is still the same? Also, there might be some stupid 20 mph over = reckless driving statute, so now 75 mph is reckless driving? Also, how are we supposed to mind-read and know "oh the cops really don't start ticketing until 70 blah blah.." it is dangerous to have to constantly worry about getting a ticket when driving at a comfortable speed and constantly check the speedometer when one can just drive normally and match the speed of traffic with a safe following distance. Germany has no speed limits on 70% of their highways and they have 1/3 the per capita fatality rates with no speed limits. In fact, one statistic said something like "100,000 people drive over 190 mph every day" on the roads and there are less accidents than the US, but I am not even saying that, I am saying it should just be reasonable like 75-80, jeeezzz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 05:14 PM

20,052 posts, read 20,867,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeSpeeder View Post
No thanks I need my sleep. I am not going to lose sleep just so I can drive an abnormally slow speed on a wide open highway because some money-greedy politician said so on an arbitrary sign. You try going exactly 55 on the entire length of the LIE and see how easy it is.
I love to sleep too.
But I am responsible enough, and mature enough, to give myself ample time to reach my destination, even when it means getting up earlier if need be.

Old 09-19-2019, 07:12 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,889,107 times
Quote:
And who is he to decide why someone is in a hurry? If you or your wife (whichever) were in labor would you still then say "ohh only saves 15 min who cares"? What if my commute is 50 minutes, so 20 mins is a huge chunk. Seriously how can people complain about traffic but then refuse to go over 55 when it opens up. You do realize after sitting in traffic people may want to compensate. The national oil crisis is over (even the recent attack on saudi fields didn't end up doing much) and there is no reason why the limit should still be 55. Do research, it was not for safety, only to conserve fuel. 55 is not even a mile a minute. So yes, even 80 mph is safe for a wide open interstate. It would at least make more sense to gradually increase the speed limit as you head out east, not to just cap it at 55 regardless of how much the road empties out. Some sections of the road are so deserted you couldn't cause an accident even if you tried. Also, impeding the flow of traffic is just as dangerous as going that same amount faster than traffic. Speed differential is still the same? Also, there might be some stupid 20 mph over = reckless driving statute, so now 75 mph is reckless driving? Also, how are we supposed to mind-read and know "oh the cops really don't start ticketing until 70 blah blah.." it is dangerous to have to constantly worry about getting a ticket when driving at a comfortable speed and constantly check the speedometer when one can just drive normally and match the speed of traffic with a safe following distance. Germany has no speed limits on 70% of their highways and they have 1/3 the per capita fatality rates with no speed limits. In fact, one statistic said something like "100,000 people drive over 190 mph every day" on the roads and there are less accidents than the US, but I am not even saying that, I am saying it should just be reasonable like 75-80, jeeezzz
I speed constantly, but let's not pretend everyone can do 75mph+ "safely". Just consider the fact that it would also take that much longer to stop from that speed should any idiot decide to lane-change at the wrong time (see clip below). You can't control everyone else, and you can't always control your own vehicle in an emergency either.

55mph is stupid slow, as I've said, but making it 75mph on our congested roads would just enable mentally-unstable drivers to justify aggression and nearly run all the slower drivers off the road while doing so. It would be more chaotic and the difference in speed is what's most dangerous. If you raise it, 60 would suffice around here. Nobody gets tickets driving at the speed of traffic (usually 65mph) so it's no big deal as it is now.

I watch a lot of YT channels for road rage or other incidents. It serves to keep me in check and to drive defensively too.

Good example of 2 idiots in the first clip here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOBTc5J2TOI

At 3:54 there's a nice blowout that you can't control at speed either.

Last edited by ovi8; 09-19-2019 at 08:07 AM..

Old 09-19-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I love to sleep too.
But I am responsible enough, and mature enough, to give myself ample time to reach my destination, even when it means getting up earlier if need be.
No, going 65-70 mph instead of 55 to conserve a biological need is fine. Sleep is more important than the .0003 percent chance of an accident

Old 09-19-2019, 08:27 AM

I told you people 3 people i know got 3 different outrageous tickets.

1. 150$ fine for going 26 in 25 (by speed camera not school zone)

2. 600$ fine for going 21 in a 15 (school zone)

3. Ticket for 63 in the 55 on the LIE around exit 67 he said.

So what you say about not getting nailed at 65 is Moderator cut: language removed

Last edited by nancy thereader; 09-20-2019 at 06:09 AM..

Old 09-19-2019, 09:11 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,889,107 times
Quote:
I told you people 3 people i know got 3 different outrageous tickets.

1. 150$ fine for going 26 in 25 (by speed camera not school zone)

2. 600$ fine for going 21 in a 15 (school zone)

3. Ticket for 63 in the 55 on the LIE around exit 67 he said.

So what you say about not getting nailed at 65 is bull****
Where there's no speed cameras or strict enforcement (schools), flow-of-traffic is key. If you're not going any faster than anyone else, you are fine. If you are the leader of the pack or a lone wolf (I've been caught that way doing 77 at midnight), then you have no excuse. Raising the limit of our highways to 75 certainly isn't the answer per my previous post.

Quote:
I don't know what year you're from, when you last drove in long island, or where, but so far every single time i have travelled on the l495 the average traffic flow was 75-80, even at exit 40! So everything you are saying is ignorant of the facts.
Well this certainly isn't true. I literally just got on at exit 40 eastbound at 11am and accelerated to my normal speed. I was already at 71mph when I noticed everyone was cruising much slower, on an open road. I actually had to slow down because I stood out like a sore thumb.

Quote:
Even a 70 mph limit would be fine on the LIE and most people with common sense agree with that.
People with common sense then need to realize stopping distance is also related to speed. There's also speed differential where short on-ramps and off-ramps (and there are many) may have to meet 70mph lines of cars. You can't use other areas to compare (especially Germany) when their roads are less congested and near flawlessly conditioned. There should be no free pass for people to do 70mph on our roads. It simply depends on current conditions and flow of everyone else - because there's a lot of everyone else here.

Last edited by ovi8; 09-19-2019 at 09:30 AM..

Old 09-19-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Where there's no speed cameras or strict enforcement (schools), flow-of-traffic is key. If you're not going any faster than anyone else, you are fine. If you are the leader of the pack or a lone wolf (I've been caught that way doing 77 at midnight), then you have no excuse. Raising the limit of our highways to 75 certainly isn't the answer per my previous post.

Well this certainly isn't true. I literally just got on at exit 40 eastbound at 11am and accelerated to my normal speed. I was already at 71mph when I noticed everyone was cruising much slower, on an open road. I actually had to slow down because I stood out like a sore thumb.

People with common sense then need to realize stopping distance is also related to speed. There's also speed differential where short on-ramps and off-ramps (and there are many) may have to meet 70mph lines of cars. You can't use other areas to compare (especially Germany) when their roads are less congested and near flawlessly conditioned. There should be no free pass for people to do 70mph on our roads. It simply depends on current conditions and flow of everyone else - because there's a lot of everyone else here.
Yet you say it's perfectly fine to drive with traffic flow which is often 70 mph. You call this congested?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sNwAfo9KfY

Old 09-19-2019, 12:01 PM

2,447 posts, read 1,221,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
I speed constantly, but let's not pretend everyone can do 75mph+ "safely". Just consider the fact that it would also take that much longer to stop from that speed should any idiot decide to lane-change at the wrong time (see clip below). You can't control everyone else, and you can't always control your own vehicle in an emergency either.

55mph is stupid slow, as I've said, but making it 75mph on our congested roads would just enable mentally-unstable drivers to justify aggression and nearly run all the slower drivers off the road while doing so. It would be more chaotic and the difference in speed is what's most dangerous. If you raise it, 60 would suffice around here. Nobody gets tickets driving at the speed of traffic (usually 65mph) so it's no big deal as it is now.

I watch a lot of YT channels for road rage or other incidents. It serves to keep me in check and to drive defensively too.

Good example of 2 idiots in the first clip here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOBTc5J2TOI

At 3:54 there's a nice blowout that you can't control at speed either.

I'm addicted to watching those also. Really enjoy the ones with sound, but some people have the worst taste in music.

Old 09-19-2019, 12:26 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,343,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I love to sleep too.

^^^^ This

Old 09-19-2019, 01:26 PM

20,052 posts, read 20,867,177 times
I'm not even reading all that.
If I'm doing a leisurely Sunday drive, I'm not in the 80 mph mindset.
In a rush to go nowhere?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island