Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 03:34 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times

Advertisements

For the second time in less than three years, someone went through a red light and slammed into my small car. Naturally, these people were in trucks or SUVs. No apology. Both people (both women) just sat calmly in their cars, smoking and talking on their cell phones. Of course, their cars were fine . It was mine that was so damaged.

Why are Long Island drivers so aggressive and rude? I don't think that this is true of all places.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 10-08-2007 at 03:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 03:39 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,515,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
For the second time in less than three years, someone went through a red light and slammed into my small car. Naturally, these people were in trucks or SUVs. No apology. Both people (both women) just sat calmly in their cars, smoking and talking on their cell phones. Of course, their cars were fine . It was mine that was so damaged.

Why are Long Isalnd drivers so aggressive and rude? I don't think that this is true of all places.
Same story in Salt Lake City....it is mostly women (absolutely no offense intended) in larger SUV's (all the offense intended) who will not talk to you but rather let their lawyers handle it. There is also a huge problem with non-english speaking people driving like this is a 3rd world country.

I grew up in SE NY and I can honestly say it is as bad here if not worse. The only good thing about Utah is lower insurance!!

Hope your repairs come quick!!!

Old 10-08-2007, 04:16 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
FL drivers are the same.. Run red lights all the time and while talking on cell phones. You better wait after the light turns green as at least 2 or 3 cars are going to run the red light. Turn signals are just as bad. They started putting up these other lights that turn on when the light turns red so cops could tell if the light was red, if they happened to be watching the street. I have seen them pull people over using that light but not nearly enough.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:28 PM

1,309 posts, read 4,191,283 times
Same in Vegas. I was T-boned once & rear-ended 2x within a 3 year span. And to think I was driving a small SUV (GMC Jimmy) for the 1st accident and a big Ford 250 pickup for the two rear-enders. You sure can't say they didn't see me! And, each time, the people were driving ancient tanks...nobody could find fit to hit me with a Saturn.

The drivers here in Florida aren't much better, but I've been lucky so far.

I wish I could say it's just because the roads just have way too many people on them, but unfortunately a lot of time it's due to poor judgement and people incapacitated by either drugs or alcohol.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:38 PM

33 posts, read 255,473 times
Default SUV's Kill: A modest proposal

An SUV hitting a smaller car at a normal driving rate of speed has a better chance of killing or seriously wounding the driver and passangers of the smaller car.

Here is an idea, a separate driver's license with a need requirement for driving an SUV. We have all kinds of cockamaimie rules for DWI so that we are no arresting people who are not really drunk. Why not require extra driving skills from those that want to drive a tank to work and require that they demonstrate need for the vehicle? That will reduce the amount of fatalities and injury as much if not more than further reducing the BAC for DWI any further.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:48 PM

652 posts, read 2,265,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post

Why are Long Island drivers so aggressive and rude? I don't think that this is true of all places.
That disgusts me to no end! Sorry bout' that Nancy...just be happy you didn't get hurt. I hate when I see people on their cells ...especially in these big gas guzzling SUV's. I live in a kinda haughty taughty hood and see it constantly...Big Escalades with one little kid in the back and the mother on her cell yakin' it up.
The consciouness level has to that of a pin(head)

Old 10-08-2007, 09:13 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlaw1 View Post
An SUV hitting a smaller car at a normal driving rate of speed has a better chance of killing or seriously wounding the driver and passangers of the smaller car.

Here is an idea, a separate driver's license with a need requirement for driving an SUV. We have all kinds of cockamaimie rules for DWI so that we are no arresting people who are not really drunk. Why not require extra driving skills from those that want to drive a tank to work and require that they demonstrate need for the vehicle? That will reduce the amount of fatalities and injury as much if not more than further reducing the BAC for DWI any further.
I have said that 1000s of times! I see these dolts in the Super Umongous Vehicles driving about as though they are Cooper Minis. They have NO CLUE as to the effect the increased weight has on braking, the height/center of gravity on stability vs rollovers.

Yes! A special license for all SUV operators.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:38 PM

491 posts, read 828,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybuildz View Post
...especially in these big gas guzzling SUV's. I live in a kinda haughty taughty hood and see it constantly...Big Escalades with one little kid in the back and the mother on her cell yakin' it up.
The consciouness level has to that of a pin(head)
Let me guess Manhasset, Garden City or Great Neck ?
I understand your anger, most are dumb soccermoms with the workahaulic "Ken Doll" husbands.
They all make me sick, these people have there 16 year olds driving and text messaging in these things as well.

Quote from a Manhasset lawyer: I dont care who my daughter kills as long as shes safe and I'm insured. If sombody wants to die driving a cheap compact car thats not my problem. They could buy a SUV and be safe

Old 10-08-2007, 09:45 PM

652 posts, read 2,265,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe L View Post
Let me guess Manhasset, Garden City or Great Neck ?
I understand your anger, most are dumb soccermoms with the workahaulic "Ken Doll" husbands.
They all make me sick, these people have there 16 year olds driving and text messaging in these things as well.

Quote from a Manhasset lawyer: I dont care who my daughter kills as long as shes safe and I'm insured. If sombody wants to die driving a cheap compact car thats not my problem. They could buy a SUV and be safe
You can see where I'm from in my website in my profile...you won't be surprised at all!
Wonder why John and Yoko and Billy Joel lived here
lol

Old 10-08-2007, 10:03 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,875,212 times
One thing I have enjoyed the most since moving is the stress free driving. I used to come home after commuting from work so fatigued and stressed out. After being gone a year I think I have heard a horn honk only once.... and it was actually for an emergency.

There is life outside of NYS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island