Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2012, 09:37 AM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Here's the deal - yeah we have a big storm coming that is a fact ... however the media is blowing this way out of proportion. As long as it sticks to the estimated path Long Island will be fine except for some wind and some flooding in coastal areas - it will be back to business as usual by late Tuesday.
Make you tell it to stick to its forecasted path. That ALWAYS works.

THe media hypes these things because there is always some numnut who wants to be rescued from dire circumstances of their own making. Nothing wrong with trying to whittle that number down as small as possible.

If you want to know what happens when people outside a forecast track are unprepared, google Hurricane Charley, 2004.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 09:38 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Ha ha, a couple of people repped me and told me you'd trot out that tired old saw. So but for your crap SAT scores you'd have an Ivy League education, right?! Your top 5% graduation status is more an indication of your course load at school than it is the fallibility of the SAT test (you might need a thesaurus to disect that sentence....we'll wait). I was top 10% and had people ahead of me....people who classes like steno 101 and home arts and got easy As while I took AP classes and continued with foreign language classes even after getting a 96 on the Spanish regents.

You're the one missing the point but a 450 SAT score is an indication of your reading comprehension.

Enjoy the Jets game I am done arguing with you.
Good for the idiots that repped you- they are just as stupid as you.

Not everyone who is smart wants to go to Ivy or can afford to. I have an amazing job so I did pretty well without having to go to Ivy league. I have a masters too

and if you think I took basketweaving 101 you are tripping...

Old 10-28-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I have to work, no choice.

Do you know if all bridges and tunnels are closed? I'll take whatever I need to to take as long as it gets me somewhere in Manhattan.
FYI I know Verrazano is not closing, per Bloomie... I have to see if maybe Lincoln or Holland are open and perhaps go the Jersey route.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:52 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
The bridges will close as soon as the winds pickup. A problem you may run into is flooding, so think of any roads that tend to flood during a normal rain ans steer clever of them.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Being prepared is very different from freaking out. The Island has been fortunate to get few Cat hurricanes but that IMO has made many Islanders complacent to taking even the basic prep for the off chance of a somewhat major event.

For others of us who have been through a Tropical Storm that stalled over our area and dumped 13 inches of rain causing flooding and lose of potable water, or though an inland hurricane that destroyed houses and made some roads impassable we'll get ready.
1. Start making ice.
2. Bottle as much fresh water as you can.
3. Buy some glow sticks and battery operated lights.
4. Make sure to have canned goods on hand.
5. Make sure you have the good old BBQ in working order.
6. Have the car gassed up.
7. Have documents that you will need after the event secured and waterproofed.
8. HAVE A GOOD FIRST AID KIT ON HAND.
9. Have the same amount of any medicines that you need to take that you would take on a two week vacation.
10. Fill your tub with water for washing.
There are more easy things to do to prep...
11. stock up on lots of booze! Heck it might even make a hurricane fun Take a drink everytime someone on TV says "storm surge", "hunker down", "batten down the hatches", "frankenstorm"

Old 10-28-2012, 09:55 AM

5 posts, read 6,159 times
I was living in Peconic when Hurricane Donna hit LI in 1960. I believe in that storm the eye passed close, if not right over us. This storm will be much worse. The eye will be well to the west putting LI on the back side of the storm in terms of storm surge. The lower eastern seaboard with Sandy close aboard will see storm surges in amounts they've experienced many times before. However LI is going to get nailed in proportions matching or probably exceeding the 1938 Long Island Express. One major reason will be the amount of "fetch" involved. With nothing between the South Shore and the storm's eastern wind bands except hundreds of miles of open ocean (what makes fetch) storm surges on LI may be on a level never seen before. If I still lived anywhere on Long Island today I'd be sitting in a Starbucks in New Jersey right now.

One more supply of water to have on hand is for flushing your toilet after a number two. So water supplies for drinking, flushing, cooking and washing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
The bridges will close as soon as the winds pickup. A problem you may run into is flooding, so think of any roads that tend to flood during a normal rain ans steer clever of them.
What really bothers me- and maybe this is my fault- is how everyone acts like teachers and kids are so important that they need yet another freakin day off. My life is just as valuable as anyone else's.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseymarie View Post
I was living in Peconic when Hurricane Donna hit LI in 1960. I believe in that storm the eye passed close, if not right over us. This storm will be much worse. The eye will be well to the west putting LI on the back side of the storm in terms of storm surge. The lower eastern seaboard with Sandy close aboard will see storm surges in amounts they've experienced many times before. However LI is going to get nailed in proportions matching or probably exceeding the 1938 Long Island Express. One major reason will be the amount of "fetch" involved. With nothing between the South Shore and the storm's eastern wind bands except hundreds of miles of open ocean (what makes fetch) storm surges on LI may be on a level never seen before. If I still lived anywhere on Long Island today I'd be sitting in a Starbucks in New Jersey right now.
NJ is supposed to get it worse than we are.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
What really bothers me- and maybe this is my fault- is how everyone acts like teachers and kids are so important that they need yet another freakin day off. My life is just as valuable as anyone else's.
Yes it is, so unless you're a first responder, a lineman or keeping a nuke plant safe there may not be a reason to be at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island