Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2012, 03:41 PM

198 posts, read 779,528 times

Advertisements

I am in category 3 storm surge area. I am in Patchogue, south of Montauk, south of train tracks. According to map i am storm surge category 3, i am in an apartment building with a large basement, my 1st floor apartment is atleast 5-6 feet above ground, and above basement.

I am uncertain if i should evacuate. Brookhaven has mandatory evacuation for zones 1, optional for zone 2.

I have 2 kids. Should i go just because of the kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 03:45 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,998,482 times
Seems they are already downgrading reports to 2-4 inches of rain and 40mph sustained winds with higher gusts. Still, I was at Bellmore Creek, Wantagh this morning an hour and a half before high tide and it was at or over the bulkhead in some spots. Highest I've seen it NOT DURING a storm but a day or more in advance. Full moon high tide, tidal surge, rain, winds, leaves in the sewers...may not be a big inland event (MAY not, but MAY still be) but the coastal areas will get hammered. 3 schools of thought on nature...religious hokum, arrogant science and the crazy stuff your grandfather knew. I'm with #3. Tidal surge at high tide during full moon plus heavy rain = serious flooding.

Good luck everyone. I'm at a solid 65 feet above sea level, looking down on the suckers in the (more) expensive homes!! j/k

Old 10-28-2012, 03:48 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Unfortunately there will ALWAYS be people who will refuse to evacuate. It could be a cat 5 storm headed straight for the shore and there will still be holdouts. People are nuts.
Perhaps the nuts will be swept from the gene pool this time around?

Old 10-28-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Seems they are already downgrading reports to 2-4 inches of rain and 40mph sustained winds with higher gusts. Still, I was at Bellmore Creek, Wantagh this morning an hour and a half before high tide and it was at or over the bulkhead in some spots. Highest I've seen it NOT DURING a storm but a day or more in advance. Full moon high tide, tidal surge, rain, winds, leaves in the sewers...may not be a big inland event (MAY not, but MAY still be) but the coastal areas will get hammered. 3 schools of thought on nature...religious hokum, arrogant science and the crazy stuff your grandfather knew. I'm with #3. Tidal surge at high tide during full moon plus heavy rain = serious flooding.

Good luck everyone. I'm at a solid 65 feet above sea level, looking down on the suckers in the (more) expensive homes!! j/k

If I flood in a surge, 95% or more of LI will be underwater.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:01 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
It's always a little funny to here Islanders talk about being inland.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:16 PM

3,525 posts, read 5,705,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Add Three Village to the list as closed Monday and Tuesday.
Sachem closed Monday and Tuesday now as well.

Sachem East HS is an Red Cross shelter as of 8am this morning

Old 10-28-2012, 04:20 PM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Point taken Twingles. And I agree with you, but there are always those that make every storm out to be he coming of the apocolypse which isnt true either. I remember as a kid in Florida (and went through more storms than I care to remember down there), storms were no big deal to me because it was my parents problem if there was damage. Boy does being a homeowner change that!

Question for you actually: is it true that 'hurricane/wind' deductibles only apply if the storm is classified as a hurricane and not a tropical storm? Or is that a myth?
You know they were going to talk about that on the weather channel the other day and they never got around to it. I thought that insurance companies changed it from "hurricane deductible" to "wind deductible" because of that question.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
I hear that I am coastal. Who here is inland?

Old 10-28-2012, 04:30 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
I am about 2 miles from the water so I guess I am coastal.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:37 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
there really is a huge difference in elevation though. Altitude just takes a nosedive south of Sunrise highway but climbs from about 30 feet to over 170 as you approach the north shore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island