Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2013, 12:32 PM

26 posts, read 55,859 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'll be closing on a house in Levittown within the next two weeks. I'm a few time home buyer moving from Brooklyn (been renting) and I have a few questions regarding my cost of living:

1) How much should I estimate for heating? I'm estimating about $300/month. Two zones, oil heat, 1600 square foot house. All four bedrooms upstairs.

2) How much should I estimate for electricity? I live in a smaller 1 bedroom in Brooklyn and pay ConEd on average about $80/month.

3) Water costs? Not sure, have never had to pay/

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 12:52 PM

58 posts, read 162,531 times
I think your electricity is a bit on the low side. For a similar sized house we pay about $150 a month which includes running window units in the summer.

As for water, I'm in Suffolk County, but it's pretty negligible. Maybe $30 or less a month.

Congrats on your new home!

Old 01-31-2013, 01:02 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
ask the realtor handling the sale to get the seller to provide copies of their recent utiliy bills.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:56 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,995,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msarran View Post
Hi All,

I'll be closing on a house in Levittown within the next two weeks. I'm a few time home buyer moving from Brooklyn (been renting) and I have a few questions regarding my cost of living:

1) How much should I estimate for heating? I'm estimating about $300/month. Two zones, oil heat, 1600 square foot house. All four bedrooms upstairs.

2) How much should I estimate for electricity? I live in a smaller 1 bedroom in Brooklyn and pay ConEd on average about $80/month.

Thanks!
Mike

Welcome to hell. Just kidding. I like Levittown. Not pretentious. Good, hard working folks. Lots of kids. Your numbers are pretty good. $300/mo heat is high side. You should get by on 4 tanks per year @ $900 = $3600 = $300/mo but can probably get by on less. Heating only upstairs at night and managing the daytime w/ thermostats and you'll do a bit quite a bit better than $300/mo. Also depends on the weather and price of oil of course. Elec. depending on gluttony s/b @ $150. We avg. $175 but my wife and kid don't know how to shut off a light switch. Water negligible maybe $15/mo or so tops. Good luck.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:57 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,995,795 times
Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks!
Mike

Welcome to hell. Just kidding. I like Levittown. Not pretentious. Good, hard working folks. Lots of kids. Your numbers are pretty good. $300/mo heat is high side. You should get by on 4 tanks per year @ $900 = $3600 = $300/mo but can probably get by on less. Heating only upstairs at night and managing the daytime w/ thermostats and you'll do a bit quite a bit better than $300/mo. Also depends on the weather, price of oil and draftiness of the house of course. Elec. depending on gluttony s/b @ $150. We avg. $175 but my wife and kid don't know how to shut off a light switch. Water negligible maybe $15/mo or so tops. Good luck.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:08 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks!
Mike
Welcome to Long Island! The other posters gave you good estimates so I'm just going to welcome you with a bit of trivia. Levittown is one of the original American suburbs. As for notable people living in Levittown, one of your neighbors is Kate Murray, Hempstead Town Supervisor.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:15 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
Electric will vary depending if you people are home throughout the day or not.

If only you are living there and work daily I would guess $100 in the non cooling months and like $170 when the ac's are cranking in summer.

Im assuming no pool, central air, no electric heat/hot water heater.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:53 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
ask the realtor handling the sale to get the seller to provide copies of their recent utiliy bills.

Excellent suggestion!

Keep in mind that families vary in their usage. If you like your thermostat at 70 degrees in the winter, you'll have to pay more than someone who can live with 68 degrees. If the lights are on all the time and you have plasma TVs, your electric cost will be higher, etc.
In the end, you'll have to experiment and work around your own lifestyle

Old 01-31-2013, 06:25 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Electric will vary depending if you people are home throughout the day or not.

If only you are living there and work daily I would guess $100 in the non cooling months and like $170 when the ac's are cranking in summer.

Im assuming no pool, central air, no electric heat/hot water heater.
What you mean "you people"? Ha!

Old 02-01-2013, 12:55 PM

39 posts, read 123,721 times
Just wanted to say welcome, I'm also in Levittown (Island Trees's District). The estimates given look to be about right. Just a tip. LIPA offers a home energy audit program which is available to you for free. We just finsihed our audit and the company which performed the audit swapped out all of our light bulbs with energy efficient one's. Really great program. They will also make recommendations on improvements you can have done (at lower cost as lipa picks up some of the cost) to lower your bills. The audit is free.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: