Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 09:12 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMalo View Post
-Important- Many of the people replying to this thread are wrong or do not know what they are talking about -Important-

Are you going to Nassau County Traffic Court?

It will say Cooper St in Hempstead if this is the case.

If so, you are in luck. Show up to court on the day of the ticket or even a few weeks after it says, they really don't care and it really doesn't matter. They are so backlogged if you completely ignore the summons it will likely be a year or more until you get a notice to appear in court or face a license suspension.

Anyway, go to the court. You will sign in with a court liaison in the front lobby and then you will wait on line.

After a while the session will start and you will get a seat on a bench in the court room. You will sit here again for a while.

The traffic court assistant district attorney will call your name and you will approach a bench. They will tell you what you got the ticket for and without you even asking, they will offer to reduce your ticket to a non-moving violation. They will of course charge you a fine and a surcharge. Accept the reduced violation and the fine amount.

You will sit back down and wait some more. They will call your name and you will go out to the hallway and line up before being called into an adjacent court room. In the next court room they ADA will present your reduced plea to a judge. The judge will ask you if you accept the plea and ask if you need additional time to pay the fine. If you need extra time, say so now.

Next you will exit the court room and go back out to the front lobby. If you would like, you can pay your fine now at the cashier's office. You will again wait on a line.

And then you're free!

Do not hire a lawyer.

Do not plea guilty by mail.

Take a day from work and go get your summons reduced.

Immediately afterwards, leave Hempstead so you don't get robbed at gunpoint. That would ruin your day for sure.
This man knows exactly what he's talking about, save for the last statement.

I got pulled over a couple of years ago for failure to come to a full stop at a stop sign. What he said is exactly what happened to me-- they brought it down to a parking ticket (no points).

If you get the 9:30am timeslot, you shouldn't be there past noon (probably 11ish).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 08:52 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
This man knows exactly what he's talking about, save for the last statement.

I got pulled over a couple of years ago for failure to come to a full stop at a stop sign. What he said is exactly what happened to me-- they brought it down to a parking ticket (no points).

If you get the 9:30am timeslot, you shouldn't be there past noon (probably 11ish).
Gmalo may be correct in the outcome, but he basically just regurgitated what others have said in this thread. I also will disagree that it's as cut-and-dry as he's making it out to be. A stop sign ticket and a speeding ticket of 20MPH+ are two different things. You get one of the tougher asst attorneys or one having a bad day and there's a good chance OP could end up with points. Not to mention there's also the equipment violation to go along with the speeding ticket and the fact that Nassau County is broke...so who knows. The benefit the OP has is it's his first ticket and he's in his 30's. YMMV with tickets, especially when it comes to speeding tickets. My bet is 2 points is easily as likely as 0 points.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:21 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,996,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Gmalo may be correct in the outcome, but he basically just regurgitated what others have said in this thread. I also will disagree that it's as cut-and-dry as he's making it out to be. A stop sign ticket and a speeding ticket of 20MPH+ are two different things. You get one of the tougher asst attorneys or one having a bad day and there's a good chance OP could end up with points. Not to mention there's also the equipment violation to go along with the speeding ticket and the fact that Nassau County is broke...so who knows. The benefit the OP has is it's his first ticket and he's in his 30's. YMMV with tickets, especially when it comes to speeding tickets. My bet is 2 points is easily as likely as 0 points.
Spot on Pequa. In fact I went in at 24mph over on the 135 (4-5 years ago). I thought the judge was really honest and decent and he knocked it from 6pts to 2pts. He flat out politely put up his hands and said "I can work with you on the fine but there is no way to get to zero points on 24mph over. 2 points is the best I can do." I negotiate for a living and found him to be sincere and realized a fine of $50 bucks and 2 points was an absolute victory for me. People thinking they will get 20+ mph over the limit knocked down to a non-moving violation are in for an awakening but then crazy stuff happens. As many of us said before, the goal is the best combination of low points and reduced fine you can get.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:20 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,064,674 times
20 miles above the speed limit...what a joke. That is too slow to begin with.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:21 PM

321 posts, read 595,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
The benefit the OP has is it's his first ticket and he's in his 30's.
That is exactly why I made it out to be so cut-and-dry. He told us about his specific history and his driving record.

I've seen the ADA literally laugh in someone's face after looking at the tickets he had and his prior history.

It's not like they're going to give a habitual offender a pass just for showing up, I apologize if I gave that impression.

This guy will be fine though.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:50 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,995,998 times
Pretend you don't speak english you will get the best lawyers in the country.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:11 PM

200 posts, read 456,793 times
Most people go 50 in a 30 to begin with....Ever been on Pigeon Hill road in Huntington Station? Ever been on Bagatelle road in Melville? They had to add a stop sign and then a traffic light on that road and it still hasn't changed much.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:57 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,371,815 times
Couldnt u just ask for a supporting deposition at the time of the ticketing and then when you go to court say you never got it? This happened to me and I got let go and the judge got mad at the cop accusing him of never sending me the supporting dep lol (he did send it- i was just smart and figured i'd go that route bc they cant really prove you didnt receive it)

Old 02-28-2013, 07:27 AM
HIS

146 posts, read 279,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin010 View Post
I am 35. Never had any speeding tickets. Clean record and had my license since 19 (sans an accident 4 yrs ago). I honestly was rushing to use the bathroom. I have no other excuses. I only told the office sorry and that I didn't realize I was speeding (because I really didn't, other cars were "speeding" but I was the one pulled over).

I also got a ticket for tints (though a tintometer wasn't used to determine the tints were illegal). I plan on getting these tints ripped off of my windows in a few days.

People are telling me to plead not guilty. Wouldn't this complicate things? This took place in Elmont. I have about two months till my court date. I am beyond nervous as I've never even been in court before.
I was in a similar situation. Here is what to do.

1- Plead not guilty.
2- Show up at the court date. you will be sitting with 40-50 ppl in a room and the Judge will call your name and tell you that you were going 50 in a 30 mile zone - how would you like to Plead - you say NOT GUILTY.
3- He will tell you to go home and they will tell you when to come back.
4- when you get the notice to come back - you will meet with the town prosecutor - you just sit there until they call you.
5- Then you just cry and tell them what a perfect record you have, and that you are a good corporate citzen, etc etc.
6- they will make you an offer to say ok we will give you two points on the licence or something.
7- then you cry some more and say i have a family to take care of, please help me out, i dont have a lot of money to pay, with points my insurance will go up, etc etc..

i got ticketed for 60 in a 40 mile zone. i would have gotten 4 points i think...but i walked away with a seat belt violation.

Good Luck !!!

Old 02-28-2013, 08:24 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,371,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIS View Post
I was in a similar situation. Here is what to do.

1- Plead not guilty.
2- Show up at the court date. you will be sitting with 40-50 ppl in a room and the Judge will call your name and tell you that you were going 50 in a 30 mile zone - how would you like to Plead - you say NOT GUILTY.
3- He will tell you to go home and they will tell you when to come back.
4- when you get the notice to come back - you will meet with the town prosecutor - you just sit there until they call you.
5- Then you just cry and tell them what a perfect record you have, and that you are a good corporate citzen, etc etc.
6- they will make you an offer to say ok we will give you two points on the licence or something.
7- then you cry some more and say i have a family to take care of, please help me out, i dont have a lot of money to pay, with points my insurance will go up, etc etc..

i got ticketed for 60 in a 40 mile zone. i would have gotten 4 points i think...but i walked away with a seat belt violation.

Good Luck !!!
Crying is great. Got out of jury duty with crying like a lunatic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island