Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 07:50 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,058,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Here in Virginia I used to like watching the Snowplow challenge on WWOR, Secaucus NJ. Whenever there was a signifcant snow they would choose 3 communities in the NY metro and rate their snow removal abilities, jobs were ranked 1-4 snowplows. The winner got a trophy but once a town failed so bad that the only street plowed was in front of the Mayors house......

It always amazed me that as you go down one road every mile or so the jurisdiction changed as did the quality of plowing.
I used to love Lloyd Lindsey Young on Channel 9, WWOR. HEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLO (random town name here).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 07:57 AM

418 posts, read 1,070,112 times
Still snowed-in today, here in Stony Brook - our small street has not been plowed. I think the situation is similar for many streets north of 25A.
The university is closed; several people from my lab e-mailed me that they are snowed-in as well (Stony Brook, Miller Place, Port Jeff).

The Town of Brookhaven has an online report system - to report streets that need to be plowed, which I did on Saturday. But understandably, they are dealing with LIE, 347, etc still...

What I fear is a catch-22 situation:
on my street, there are fallen trees, branches leaning against the wires.
So, who should go first - the snow plowers or the tree removal/LIPA people?

Maybe, eventually, most of the snow will melt on its own, letting us out .

Old 02-11-2013, 08:09 AM

3,525 posts, read 5,705,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011littlehouse View Post
Still snowed-in today, here in Stony Brook - our small street has not been plowed. I think the situation is similar for many streets north of 25A.
The university is closed; several people from my lab e-mailed me that they are snowed-in as well (Stony Brook, Miller Place, Port Jeff).

The Town of Brookhaven has an online report system - to report streets that need to be plowed, which I did on Saturday. But understandably, they are dealing with LIE, 347, etc still...

What I fear is a catch-22 situation:
on my street, there are fallen trees, branches leaning against the wires.
So, who should go first - the snow plowers or the tree removal/LIPA people?

Maybe, eventually, most of the snow will melt on its own, letting us out .
No, LIE and 347 are state roads, which the state DOT is responsbile for. If they havent gotten to you its because they are inept.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:24 AM

573 posts, read 1,242,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
call Islip EOC. Everyone should have gotten plowed once by now
Everybody did...when they received their tax bill

Old 02-11-2013, 08:40 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound3 View Post
I think the plow issue is one that is not being reported/investigated by the media for some reason. It seems everyone likes to criticize LIPA when it drops the ball but no one likes to subject the town officials to the same scrutiny. The town officials I saw on News12 over the weekend almost sounded like they memorized the same script "... this was an unprecedented storm of magnitude we have not seen... bla bla bla". Really? Most places got around 24"-26" or so - and this managed to completely paralyze the major roadways on the Island - requiring a near 2 day shutdown of the LIE? Didn't we just have a 20"+ snowstorm a few years ago in 2010? I don't remember the Island being paralyzed from that storm - does anyone else?

I think there's more to the story here... but who in the media is asking questions?
I think you're right...

On a serious note, I think you really are onto something. Maybe Suffolk residents should ask Bellone, his friends, and the SCPD (and any others who weren't impacted at all from recent fiscal cuts) to get in those plows and start working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Keep in mind that would be a pretty small check considering 2/3rds of our nut is spent on Schools so that we can all have bragging rights.

The biggest bite of the last 1/3 goes to Cop salaries, then whatever crumbs are left over we spend on feed for the Town Mule for plowing and to grease the local Mob for trash removal.

We simply don't budget for a blizzard of this scale.

Crookhaven
Don't forget half of Suffolks nut comes from gas & sales taxes.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:30 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Town of Smithtown has done a horrific job as well. The roads in my neighborhood are only passable by 4 wheel drive as of right now. Luckily one of my 2 cars has it. Main arterial roads like Old Nichols are a disaster as well.

They should have been out plowing the roads the night of the storm, and they didn't bother. Bad planning. How old is the guy Vecchio anyway? Sheesh, get somebody new in there.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:33 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
I think you're right...

There's those high tension lines again!

Old 02-11-2013, 09:34 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,225,566 times
Seen numerous Brookhaven vehicles driving around with their plows up. Heard through the grapevine that this is a collective effort by town employees to "voice" their displeasure at the layoffs and lack of manpower. After this, they'll claim that plows were out, but they were simply too short-handed to handle it due to layoffs and no new hires. Additionally, in past storms, I had seen and heard plows out throughout the storm. I didn't see a single town vehicle during this storm, and I live on a fairly busy road in the Township.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:46 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
wow that's ridiculous there's still 2 ft of snow on the roads. I live on the very inside street of a neighborhood in Plainview and we have had no less than 3 plows, once even at night while we were out and they re-blocked my driveway. All the roads are clear. There's mounds of snow everywhere there was grass - we still got hit somewhat hard, but there was even garbage pick up this morning. TOB gets another A+ as usual.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:01 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
^^ Plainview got like a foot.

These posters are from towns that have 30"+. Big difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island