Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you could have what you have in NC (or elsewhere), here, would you have stayed on Long Island?
Definitely 25 55.56%
No friggin' Way 13 28.89%
I just miss the Pizza 7 15.56%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 06:28 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,068,194 times

Advertisements

Just the sheer joy of not driving on Long Island roads makes me say NO WAY. It's been 6 months and although I get briefly homesick I do not want to move back to Long Island.

I can see stars and beautiful mountains EVERY night and day here. You can drive a few miles and still do all the shopping you want then go back to the beauty of Vermont or NH.

Yes, sometimes I miss the 'shopping' and 'good libraries' but that's about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 07:05 PM

62 posts, read 240,018 times
I found people a bit overtly religious in NC, prone to having everyone join in praying in almost every situation -- including at business meetings. That annoyed me to no end.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slynn41072 View Post
Totally different interiors and exteriors.
Wow -- you are SO right; I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions before actually taking a (virtual) look! I went onto realtor.com and looked at homes in the $600s, up to $700 -- and they are AMAZING, inside and out.

Thank you for informing me; I really do appreciate it. Now if only I could be assured that every business meeting (I went down there for business once, a quick trip several years ago) didn't begin with a prayer circle, I just might be joining you!

Old 03-25-2008, 08:04 AM

718 posts, read 2,972,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NS4Ever View Post
Wow -- you are SO right; I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions before actually taking a (virtual) look! I went onto realtor.com and looked at homes in the $600s, up to $700 -- and they are AMAZING, inside and out.

Thank you for informing me; I really do appreciate it. Now if only I could be assured that every business meeting (I went down there for business once, a quick trip several years ago) didn't begin with a prayer circle, I just might be joining you!

We are in Cary and my husband works all over NC and he has not encountered "prayers" before business meetings. I guess it might have been a isolated thing or just the type of business you are in, funny though. Some parts outside the Triangle I agree are VERY religious, but I've been here almost 6 years and I don't find it anymore religious than LI. Just different religious makeups. Jewish(hubby) and Catholic(me) are the minority here. Southern Baptist, Methodist and all sorts of Christianity seem to be in greater numbers. I haven't found any "in your face" religious people. I also refuse to entertain those conversations anyway.

Our houses are nothing like Florida homes. It gave me a good chuckle when you mentioned the interiors. I was going to direct you to a realtor site. I have yet to see double crown moldings and coiffered ceilings in Florida homes.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:24 AM

I have actually seen crown mouldings and coffered ceilings in some homes I once looked at in Tampa, but forget about hardwood floors (climate issues, maybe?), or tile in the bathroom other than on the floor and tub/shower areas -- and not exactly awe-inspiring designs, at that.

I cannot stop thinking about thos homes I saw on realtor.com -- so thanks a lot, lol!

Old 03-25-2008, 12:55 PM

652 posts, read 2,264,773 times
Quote:
I have actually seen crown mouldings and coffered ceilings in some homes I once looked at in Tampa, but forget about hardwood floors (climate issues, maybe?), or tile in the bathroom other than on the floor and tub/shower areas -- and not exactly awe-inspiring designs, at that.

I cannot stop thinking about thos homes I saw on realtor.com -- so thanks a lot, lol!
I think you can find UGLY anywhere. 5-6 years ago we were looking to buy land in northern California...Sebastopol to be exact. Wanted to build myself a house or renovate one that was already there. I looked around to see how many contractor trucks were around and I was amazed to see next to none in the week we were there during the Spring. Most all the houses we looked at were so incredably dated yet soooooooooo expensive. People just didn't seem to be into "house".
Then we looked a bit further north and the whole mind set in houses was completely different..only 20 minutes further north. We're not talking cheap houses either...or just the expensive ones....the entire area had a different mindset. I thought that was so weird. BTW...one area was just south of Santa Rosa and the other just north of it.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:21 PM

237 posts, read 855,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbeams View Post
I'll play...I wish I could take my house that I have in Charlotte and move to LI with it. I wish I could take my salary too. What is up with the low paying IT jobs on LI? I guess you have to commute to the city to make the big bucks?
Right now it looks like I will be selling my house in CLT and renting on LI. I will be gaining my family and friends which is what matters to this single Mom.
Moonbeams

I hear you the only thing that I like about charlotte over LI is it is cheaper, and we are actually making more here then on L.I. but i miss my family and friends. If I could go back to L.I. tomorrow I would do it, good luck to you.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:25 PM

237 posts, read 855,660 times
Quote:
I found people a bit overtly religious in NC, prone to having everyone join in praying in almost every situation -- including at business meetings. That annoyed me to no end.
found it the same thing, everything that is bad is equated to evil, actually heard that about harry potter in the walmart when we went to buy the last book. Religion is very big here, there is actually a church in charlotte, that has 5 parking lots its so big. I hate to leave my home on a Sunday morning. Im all for religion, but im against people projecting their beliefs and faiths on others. there is actually someone in my office that plays religious music and versus out loud during the day. id love to say please put headphones on, but id probably get in trouble for it, would never be tolerated in NY. So I just use my IPOD to deal with it. LOL

Old 03-25-2008, 06:44 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,159,963 times
We live in Raleigh since 1989 but lived in Oceanside, Long Beach, Island Park, Manhattan, and Hempstead.

The main thing we miss is public transportation. Few buses and no local trains.

Thought of coming back but finances are a no-go. We rent a 2 BR apt with central A/C, pool, gym, and business center included for $830. All electric, and bills average $100.

Car and renter's insurance are low.

We can get good bagels, even bialys and knishes.

Somewhat miss LI, but it's no longer middle income as it was when we left.

My Mom bought a cheap house on Sunnybrook Dr Oceanside in 1949 for $10K. Tax assessor rates it at $400K. Taxes + heat exceeds my rent and this house was never anything special 58 years ago.

LI is just out of reach.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:33 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,297,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
We live in Raleigh since 1989 but lived in Oceanside, Long Beach, Island Park, Manhattan, and Hempstead.

The main thing we miss is public transportation. Few buses and no local trains.

Thought of coming back but finances are a no-go. We rent a 2 BR apt with central A/C, pool, gym, and business center included for $830. All electric, and bills average $100.

Car and renter's insurance are low.

We can get good bagels, even bialys and knishes.

Somewhat miss LI, but it's no longer middle income as it was when we left.

My Mom bought a cheap house on Sunnybrook Dr Oceanside in 1949 for $10K. Tax assessor rates it at $400K. Taxes + heat exceeds my rent and this house was never anything special 58 years ago.

LI is just out of reach.
Do you think you will be able to afford to buy a home in NC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island