Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2013, 11:15 AM

85 posts, read 125,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
You're not understanding. Look at it from a business perspective: What if a household's cash flow + other intangibles add up to a much higher value (even after the higher COL) than outside LI?
Jackpot

Old 04-06-2013, 12:26 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,047,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
You're not understanding. Look at it from a business perspective: What if a household's cash flow + other intangibles add up to a much higher value (even after the higher COL) than outside LI?
Assuming you are saying what I think you are saying, that is exactly what I have been trying to say. I consider proximity to family to be something you cannot put a price on. That is why I choose to live on Long Island, even if I could have a higher material quality of life somewhere else. The proximity to my family makes it worth it to remain on Long Island.

On the other hand, if I do lose my job on Long Island, I will have to make a decision, with several equally unattractive options. But I won't make that decision until I am forced to.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:48 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Assuming you are saying what I think you are saying, that is exactly what I have been trying to say.
Uh, what?

Quote:
I consider proximity to family to be something you cannot put a price on. That is why I choose to live on Long Island, even if I could have a higher material quality of life somewhere else. The proximity to my family makes it worth it to remain on Long Island.

On the other hand, if I do lose my job on Long Island, I will have to make a decision, with several equally unattractive options. But I won't make that decision until I am forced to.
So you do have a price on living close to family, you just don't want to consider the what that price is.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:29 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
Whats here for them to do besides stair at 4 walls?
Is that a stair and four walls?

Old 04-06-2013, 06:50 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,048 times
A note about the comment directly above, would be that I `hip-shot my reaction to the commentor, based upon his obvious misconstruance
of the english language, particularly staring over the stair, as an impulsive poster, I'm prone to reacting to things or comments that I might read,
which often make me wonder about the effectiveness of our educational system, as it boils down to comments here at a cite like city-data.
I'm not a grammar Nazi, it's more of a tic with me, perhaps just learned behavior that comes of watching too much Sesame street where they sang,
`One of these things is not like the other'. I only post this comment to state that it was never my intention to violate c-d TOS, or to "troll" Autoracer.
A week ago, a c-d moderator gave me penalty points (offense charges), I had made a quippant and `off-the-cuff' reply to someone in the photography
forum who saw a bright light in the sky, and grabbed a photo of it! I simply said: "Maybe it was Uranus?", meant it to be the classic comedic retort, but
got a violation from a moderator who seems to be a tad heavy-handed in application of justice, and a bit short-handed in tolerance. When an open and
publicly admitted venue like this is, appoints moderators to these forums, giving them personal power or discretion to adjudicate the validity or context
of any given comment, to nod on it, or nay on it within their own basis of interpretation or even understanding, strikes me as odd. Please moderator,
don't penalize me for the comment that I posted above, I meant Autoracer no harm nor did I want to call any attention to the misuse of his word,:
"stair". Like an old friend, I keep coming back here, checking on issues. I never arrive before my third beer, perhaps a fatty spliff and often a couple mg.
of Xanax under my belt. Truth is, I'm not a troll, I'm really just another guy who has become an internet addict, someone who comes to give and to take
what it has to offer. I'm not Methusala, I'm just getting old, please continue to either follow me or tolerate me, but in NO means, am I a troll.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Uh, what?

So you do have a price on living close to family, you just don't want to consider the what that price is.
What I mean is that I will remain on Long Island, unless there is absolutely no way that I am able to.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:03 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,764,393 times
Ok.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
A note about the comment directly above, would be that I `hip-shot my reaction to the commentor, based upon his obvious misconstruance
of the english language, particularly staring over the stair, as an impulsive poster, I'm prone to reacting to things or comments that I might read,
which often make me wonder about the effectiveness of our educational system, as it boils down to comments here at a cite like city-data.
I'm not a grammar Nazi, it's more of a tic with me, perhaps just learned behavior that comes of watching too much Sesame street where they sang,
`One of these things is not like the other'. I only post this comment to state that it was never my intention to violate c-d TOS, or to "troll" Autoracer.
A week ago, a c-d moderator gave me penalty points (offense charges), I had made a quippant and `off-the-cuff' reply to someone in the photography
forum who saw a bright light in the sky, and grabbed a photo of it! I simply said: "Maybe it was Uranus?", meant it to be the classic comedic retort, but
got a violation from a moderator who seems to be a tad heavy-handed in application of justice, and a bit short-handed in tolerance. When an open and
publicly admitted venue like this is, appoints moderators to these forums, giving them personal power or discretion to adjudicate the validity or context
of any given comment, to nod on it, or nay on it within their own basis of interpretation or even understanding, strikes me as odd. Please moderator,
don't penalize me for the comment that I posted above, I meant Autoracer no harm nor did I want to call any attention to the misuse of his word,:
"stair". Like an old friend, I keep coming back here, checking on issues. I never arrive before my third beer, perhaps a fatty spliff and often a couple mg.
of Xanax under my belt. Truth is, I'm not a troll, I'm really just another guy who has become an internet addict, someone who comes to give and to take
what it has to offer. I'm not Methusala, I'm just getting old, please continue to either follow me or tolerate me, but in NO means, am I a troll.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:53 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,775 times
Quote:
What I mean is that I will remain on Long Island, unless there is absolutely no way that I am able to.
So what is that line for you?

Old 04-07-2013, 12:18 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Because not many sane people want to spend 150k+ on (what is pretty much) an apartment.
Well that price is a steal in any decent area of the NYC metropolitan area let alone Long Island. I am renting an apartment in one of the archstone newer developments north of Boston in what is considered a working class average household income of 65k area and the rent is $2100 and there much less to do than on Long Island
Rents have skyrocketed since the mid 2000s. If you don't have 20% to put down to buy a home or condo and/ or don't have the income or credit needed to qualify for a mortgage then you likely will experience sticker shock when you look at rents. On Long Island you,likely have the 60-90 minute commute each way to manhattan that now costs well over $200 month

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Old 04-07-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
So what is that line for you?
What do you mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island