Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2013, 10:49 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,050,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
No career advice, but isn't that a pretty transferable branch, especially coming from the tr-state area?

I think a lot of the folks leaving the area are finding that their skills are in demand elsewhere and not just NYC/Long Island.
As I said many times, I am not interested in relocating, unless I have absolutely no other choice.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:00 PM

477 posts, read 1,406,868 times
I'm in my early 30's and yes, a lot of people that I graduated high school with have left Long Island. Our parents were able to buy their houses years ago but nowadays with the prices of homes and taxes, its impossible for young married couples my age or younger to afford the same. I moved out of state at the end of last year because I know that I will never be able to afford a house on a single income on LI, but here, you see many people who can. Long Island is becoming a place of the rich and the poor, the middle class are getting squeezed out.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:08 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,323,539 times
I really do not know why young people would choose to stay here, with the high taxes and declining QOL most would choose to either leave the area altogether, or move somewhere else in the Metro area (NYC, Westchester, or NJ). Consider how the taxes are going up and up, while the services we see in return from our local government are getting worse. The LIRR is also another great example, fares for commuters keep going up but the stations are a mess and the service always has at least one meltdown a week. I had to use the Hicksville train station today and it made me seeing the garbage strewn around, bums and ppl loitering everywhere that clearly weren't waiting for the train. The restrooms appear to never be cleaned. Good thing those higher fares are going to improve things...not! People pay a premium to live here and then have to deal with stuff like this. No wonder people are leaving!
Men's room at Hicksville LIRR

I don't think he's waiting for the train. Why sitting on the floor?

Old 04-07-2013, 11:21 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,050,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
I really do not know why young people would choose to stay here, with the high taxes and declining QOL most would choose to either leave the area altogether, or move somewhere else in the Metro area (NYC, Westchester, or NJ).
Those of us who choose to live here choose to do so since we want proximity to our families who live on Long Island, and are willing to accept a lower material quality of life.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:25 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,323,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Those of us who choose to live here choose to do so since we want proximity to our families who live on Long Island, and are willing to accept a lower material quality of life.
But most other suburban areas of NYC are still close enough for proximity, and offer a better quality of life with similar or lower taxes.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:50 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
I'm not sure you've noticed how miserable you sound in your posts. You really sound more trapped rather than you've made a choice. I really hope everything works out for you.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:54 AM

3,525 posts, read 5,705,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
But most other suburban areas of NYC are still close enough for proximity, and offer a better quality of life with similar or lower taxes.
And those places are??

- Not Westchester
- Not NJ (unless you count South Jersey)
- Not Rockland
- Not CT
- Not most of Orange

Poconos, yes.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:12 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,532,295 times
Best place to work (even NYC), worst place to retire.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:31 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,547,497 times
I wonder how many ppl realize many towns offer discounts on property taxes for cops and firefighters?

Old 04-08-2013, 06:32 AM

181 posts, read 445,105 times
this is probably mostly hearsay and anecdotal evidence, but pretty relevant to this thread. A lot of people I know from high school are still living on Long Island but they are either unemployed, living at home, or working 10-12 $ an hour jobs. Some people have moved to Queens and Brooklyn but these people are trying to work 2-3 jobs. The few people I know of who work in the city and have stable jobs are often miserable, depressed, or burned out with their jobs. They work long hours on top of a tough commute. A few exceptions here and there, but that seems to be common.

On the other hand, people who have moved to random places like Boston/MA, Colorado, Connecticut, the Carolinas, etc seem to be doing pretty well. Facebook pictures and statuses indicate these people starting to own properties and working jobs with more modest commutes. Though like I said, I'm just going by what I see.

I'm in the middle 20 age group FWIW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island