Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we move to Long Island or stay in Florida
Move to Long Island 23 27.38%
Stay in Florida 61 72.62%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 10:07 AM

9 posts, read 14,274 times

Advertisements

Married a South Shore girl four years ago, had two amazing twins two years ago, living in Central Florida, wife's parents are here, her extended family lives near Bayshore, now wife wants to move back to be near extended family.

The kids are two years old now and Grandma, Grandpa are our daycare. We would want to move in about three years, once they start school. We wouldn't need daycare at that point, and we want them to stay in the same school without having to move again.

Right now in Florida we have a very nice 4 bedroom, 2.5 bath, 2200 sq. ft. home with in ground pool on 1/2 acre. Taxes after home exemption are about $1650 a year. We owe about $115,000 and have maybe 20-40 thousand in equity, depending on the market.
We live in a nice growing community which has quite a few NY transplants.

I was born in Germany, and lived in PA from the ages of 12 to 17. Have now lived in Florida for 16 years, I'm ok with moving up north. The weather wouldn't bother me, and we want the kids to experience four seasons which you don't get here in FL. The proximity to the city appeals to me and would be a great cultural experience. I really enjoy going into the city, but I could do that when we visit as well.

My wife has two brothers, one lives on LI, the other is moving back there soon. If we were to move, there is a good chance that the Grandparents would also move, because their friends here in FL are also moving back to LI. If we moved they would have no family, limited friends here. They are Italian and like to spend much time together.

I work in IT, and my wife is in HR, we wouldn't move without at least one job lined up and enough money saved for at least six months of living expenses. I've told my wife if we do this, we would definitely rent for at least a year or two and at the same time hold onto our house in FL and rent it. This way we could come back, if we feel we made a mistake.

I don't have any family here in FL and wouldn't mind moving, here is what concerns me about Long Island:

1. Cost of Living expenses
2. Cost of housing expenses
3. Quality of living
4. Traffic congestion/poor roads and infrastructure
5. Stress of Moving/Starting over when we'll be close to 40 years old
6. Being more stressed over money straining our relationship.
7. Kids' quality of live.
8. Having more family functions to attend/less free time
9. More hectic lifestyle
10. More Crowded everywhere you go (compared to FL)
11. Once we reach retirement age, will we be able to hold onto our house or be forced
(financially) to move. I don't want to move again, I want to retire in the house I've lived in for most of my life.
12. Kids living with us longer before being able to afford their own place
13. Moving into smaller, older house
14. Island mentality combined with NY attitude (sorry I'm generalizing, and hope to not offend anyone
personally). There are more people with an arrogant, brash "I'm too busy or important to listen to
you" attitude. I don't mean everyone; there are lots of good, pleasant people here. It's just the
fast paced life makes it hard for most to slow down to be civil. The culture is so unique on Long
Island, it's a special place, but it's also isolated a bit due to its geographical nature.

We want to move for the quality of the kids' family life, their education (which pretty much sucks in FL) and our family life. If we decide to stay in Florida then the Grandparents would stay as well, so I think they could have a nice life here as well. We come up to visit at least once a year anyway. Of course it's difficult to tell if my personality would like it here, but I'm just afraid we would make a huge mistake by moving there. Giving up our comfortable situation in FL to give it a chance on LI. Then again, we might regret it greatly if we don't give it a try. I don't know if my wife would ever be happy here in FL, regardless of how well off we are. I think once you're a Long Islander, or New Yorker, you'll always be one and feel like a fish out of water anywhere else. And if the wife ain't happy, no one is happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 10:13 AM

6,385 posts, read 13,183,828 times
If you are financially comfortable there then why not look into private schooling down there? Or does that suck too?

Old 08-22-2012, 10:25 AM

225 posts, read 716,815 times
I'd stay where you are and can live comfortably. The cost of living up here is out of control. I was born and raised here. If it wasn't for my family and fiancee, I'd leave, honestly. I'm almost 28 years old, still living at home so that I can save and one day buy a home of my own. Seems almost next to impossible.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:33 PM

2,630 posts, read 5,006,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza89 View Post
I'd stay where you are and can live comfortably. The cost of living up here is out of control. I was born and raised here. If it wasn't for my family and fiancee, I'd leave, honestly. I'm almost 28 years old, still living at home so that I can save and one day buy a home of my own. Seems almost next to impossible.
Ditto. Maintain your success down there and sooner or later everyone will join you. Don't believe the hype up here. It's a nice place and all but without making $250k plus, you're paycheck to paycheck with rising costs all around and you pay for the political malfeasance of those who came before and looted the place. It's a short flight to NYC and the week per year you visit is probably as often as you will visit if you lived here. If you are commuting to Manhattan for work, you might not want to visit there at all!

Sounds like you're a thinker and planner so either way you'll land on your feet.
Best of luck whatever you do.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:50 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,969,520 times
I'd stay away - we don't drive the speed limit here and the bodies are piling up on the LIE.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:01 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,994,642 times
I don't know how "large" you're living right now, but keep in mind the median home price is $350k-$400k and taxes are $8k-$12k, generally. That's your biggest expense. Chances are you won't be able to maintain your current level of comfort with the same salary on LI.

My house was waaay cheaper than that, but my taxes are high just like everyone else (I'm grieving them right now). As long as you are coming in with a realistic expectation on what you would be able to afford (no +2000sqft, no 4bdr 2.5bth with IGP or central air that's for sure) you won't be over your head. People say COL is out of control here, which it is but it's not crazy. Most people just want what they can't afford, and not living within their means.

The keeping up with the Jones' Rat Race mentality is very strong here. I wouldn't move up here if you're into that because competetion is strong.

I know people who live in $600k homes but struggle to pay off their CC debt. This to me is a perfect example of the Long Island mentality.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:01 PM

6,385 posts, read 13,183,828 times
$250 k + to live here? Come on Mongoose at least be realistic.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:05 PM

886 posts, read 2,651,298 times
It also depends on your job and yearly salary. To live "comfortably" here you need to figure weekly/monthly/yearly costs of everything-mortgage,utilities,insurance etc.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:30 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,994,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
$250 k + to live here? Come on Mongoose at least be realistic.
Seriously. I make less than half that and I have my expenses in balance.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:57 PM

22 posts, read 39,064 times
I am the wife. We get a lot of advice about this. Many say "don't do it, it is too expensive here!". I don't see any of those people leaving the island to the sunny shores of Florida to bask in the glow of cheaper housing and Moderator cut: crude language not allowed on c.d.

The truth of the matter is that they are willing to pay the premium of living on the Island to be near their family and friends. Why is that so different from us? We want our boys to grow up with extended family just like everyone else does. Many of our friends up there have boys the same age as our boys. They have no one down here, and that makes me want to cry for them. Also the sense of apathy and contentment with mediocrity is something I definitely don't want rubbing off on them. I don't mind the competition, it will keep them on their toes....

Last edited by nancy thereader; 08-22-2012 at 04:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island