Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2013, 09:02 AM

429 posts, read 853,176 times

Advertisements

We're almost under contract to buy a home in Bethpage. Our inspection didn't really yield anything too worrisome - just that the oil burner and hot water heater (which is leaking water) are OLD (probably original) and should really be replaced very soon. Also, the electric in the home needs to be upgraded to 200 amps (currently @ 100) and our inspector recommended that all the galvanized pipes be replaced with PVC at some point. There was only one leaking pipe that we could identify and it was the pipe in the basement coming from the downstairs toilet, which leaks when flushed.

We think we'd like to convert from oil to gas, and just replace the burner and water heater at the same time, during the conversion. We just need to check with National Grid to find out where the gas line is/what the cost will be to run it to us and I'm just trying to learn about the end-to-end process.

After I call National Grid, I'm guessing we should contact some plumbers and get quotes on how much it will cost for the conversion. Does this same person run the gas line to our house, or does National Grid do it? Is it safe to assume that this plumber could also convert our pipes to PVC for us? He will also remove the old equipment from the basement for us, right?

What else should I take into consideration? We're currently budgeting about $7,000 for the project, but we're really not sure how much it'll wind up costing. Does this all sound right? Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 10:00 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
I converted from oil to gas about 15 years ago and it was $3500 and I already had gas in the house. National Grid will only run a certain amount of line for free. Is there gas in the neighborhood? You need to get a price on that first. It could be a complete non-starter. If it's feasible, then ask National Grid about any incentives they are giving for converting (free water heater, rebates, etc).

If your water heater is leaking water, it needs to be replaced now. There's pretty much no chance it's going to be making hot water when you move in, and could create a huge flood if it actually "goes". Mine "went" 2 years ago, and it's in the garage, so no harm done. If it had been in the house, forget it. I would consider asking for a credit on this.

Where is the oil tank? It will need to be removed if it's in the house or properly abandoned if it's underground. It's not a difficult process to abandon but will likely run you $650-$900 depending on size of the tank. Don't delay on abandoning it because right now Nassau County does not require a soil test but they always talk about requiring...you don't want to have an old tank sitting under your yard if they ever decide to require a soil test - so get it abandoned when you do the conversion.

I have no idea how much re-plumbing the house would cost. If you are including that in the $7000 you have budgeted I think you may be low.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:21 AM

Yes, we did a ton of research on this issue before we started looking and decided to include Bethpage in our search. From what I've learned, the "Toxic Plume" is of utmost concern for areas on Long Island that do not yet have the infrastructure in their water systems to remove the toxins from the public water supply (such as Massapequa, Levittown, Farmingdale, etc)., but that Bethpage is now considered "safe," because their water system has already been managing the issue for quite a while and their water supply is considered "safe." Isn't this correct?

Last edited by nancy thereader; 05-23-2013 at 08:29 AM..

Old 05-17-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I converted from oil to gas about 15 years ago and it was $3500 and I already had gas in the house. National Grid will only run a certain amount of line for free. Is there gas in the neighborhood? You need to get a price on that first. It could be a complete non-starter. If it's feasible, then ask National Grid about any incentives they are giving for converting (free water heater, rebates, etc).

If your water heater is leaking water, it needs to be replaced now. There's pretty much no chance it's going to be making hot water when you move in, and could create a huge flood if it actually "goes". Mine "went" 2 years ago, and it's in the garage, so no harm done. If it had been in the house, forget it. I would consider asking for a credit on this.

Where is the oil tank? It will need to be removed if it's in the house or properly abandoned if it's underground. It's not a difficult process to abandon but will likely run you $650-$900 depending on size of the tank. Don't delay on abandoning it because right now Nassau County does not require a soil test but they always talk about requiring...you don't want to have an old tank sitting under your yard if they ever decide to require a soil test - so get it abandoned when you do the conversion.

I have no idea how much re-plumbing the house would cost. If you are including that in the $7000 you have budgeted I think you may be low.
Are the water heater and burner separate concepts - meaning can we replace the water heater independent from converting to gas, or are they dependent on one another? We did get a seller credit for this, btw. From what I've seen a new water heater is about $500?

The oil tank is in the basement. We will likely pursue having it removed and abandoned as part of the conversion.

I wasn't including re-plumbing the whole house in that, but mostly just the leaking toilet pipe for now - maybe the sink drain pipe, as well.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:39 AM

827 posts, read 3,094,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csteen85 View Post
Yes, we did a ton of research on this issue before we started looking and decided to include Bethpage in our search. From what I've learned, the "Toxic Plume" is of utmost concern for areas on Long Island that do not yet have the infrastructure in their water systems to remove the toxins from the public water supply (such as Massapequa, Levittown, Farmingdale, etc)., but that Bethpage is now considered "safe," because their water system has already been managing the issue for quite a while and their water supply is considered "safe." Isn't this correct?
As far as the water goes..yes, it is correct..HOWEVER..it's still in the soil. Are you aware of the areas that have the highest cancer rates? Although, I was under the impression that my area wasn't a high cancer rate and well...I had a childhood friend pass when she was only 3 with a rare form of cancer (prior to knowing this about the water, etc.), and then at least 8 people on my block developed cancer all starting in their early 30's. I have friend who her mother passed from breast cancer, her father has prostate cancer, she herself developed breast cancer in her 30's and now her son has a gene mutation which is cuasing lots of problems. I have another friend who grew up in Bethpage right by the tracks who also has a gene mutation problem to where she can't metabolize medication or anything..when she gets dental work done, she can't even use an anesthetic. The whole Navy thing has been going on for a long time...just most residents didn't know until recently..however, the cancer studies are just starting now.. If you got to that website, there are some new residents who moved in there within the past few years who had no idea that this was going on and they are worried for their childrens future. Bethpage is a small town and each of the separate plumes have become toxic over the years. HOweve,r if it travels to the plumes..it has to be in the soil.. Soil that your children will play sporting events on, etc. Some houses in the numbered streets needed to get special ventilation and machines put in their basements b/c of the vapors coming from the toxins in the soil. They only tested a certain area of homes in a certain distance. I wouldnt' doubt if these vapors need to be tested in other homes. I'm just relieved I stayed away from Bethpage. I hate to say it b/c I loved the area. I have a friend who grew up right by the park and she is so worried! It is scary! Part of the park is still REALLY contaminated. They couldn't clean it up b/c of the vapors going into the air. I'm just letting you know all of this b/c your home will be the most amount of money you ever spend..and if you plan on having kids..well, I would think you would want them to have a great life, etc. I always say (not towards you) but if you buy in Bethpage knowing all of this and have children or want to have children..you are doing them a disservice. While the schools are great there...their health is much more imporants..and the parents as well. I know on LI there is a high breast cancer rate in general, etc...but why make yourself more prone by moving to an area with a high cancer rate? That's just my opinion and I'm not trying to burst your bubble. Just want you to know the facts. My husband and I watched a video (he's fromt he area too and got kidney failure at 28..dr's can't explain it), and when we watched the Bethpage water district video..my husband was skeptical. I mean, they spent so much money on it so why wouldn't it be doing what it has to do...right? But my husband doesn't trust anyone so...he was happy as well we didn'g buy there and we both love it there. BTW, my aunt who also lives in Bethpage developed cancer too. For me it's just too much if's to take the chance. Like I said, I just wanted to make you aware b/c of health concerns and this is the biggest amount of money you will be paying out. Also, there are kids developing certain conditions in their teens which just isn't normal...I can't remember the specifics of what they are developing. It's a neurological condition. Just unheard of in yoru teen years. Anyhoo, if you need any other info or if you want to give me an idea where you are buying I can tell you if it's higher rate there than other areas. I feel bad b/c I know you've had a hell of a time with house hunting and bidding wars.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIgirl74 View Post
As far as the water goes..yes, it is correct..HOWEVER..it's still in the soil. Are you aware of the areas that have the highest cancer rates? Although, I was under the impression that my area wasn't a high cancer rate and well...I had a childhood friend pass when she was only 3 with a rare form of cancer (prior to knowing this about the water, etc.), and then at least 8 people on my block developed cancer all starting in their early 30's. I have friend who her mother passed from breast cancer, her father has prostate cancer, she herself developed breast cancer in her 30's and now her son has a gene mutation which is cuasing lots of problems. I have another friend who grew up in Bethpage right by the tracks who also has a gene mutation problem to where she can't metabolize medication or anything..when she gets dental work done, she can't even use an anesthetic. The whole Navy thing has been going on for a long time...just most residents didn't know until recently..however, the cancer studies are just starting now.. If you got to that website, there are some new residents who moved in there within the past few years who had no idea that this was going on and they are worried for their childrens future. Bethpage is a small town and each of the separate plumes have become toxic over the years. HOweve,r if it travels to the plumes..it has to be in the soil.. Soil that your children will play sporting events on, etc. Some houses in the numbered streets needed to get special ventilation and machines put in their basements b/c of the vapors coming from the toxins in the soil. They only tested a certain area of homes in a certain distance. I wouldnt' doubt if these vapors need to be tested in other homes. I'm just relieved I stayed away from Bethpage. I hate to say it b/c I loved the area. I have a friend who grew up right by the park and she is so worried! It is scary! Part of the park is still REALLY contaminated. They couldn't clean it up b/c of the vapors going into the air. I'm just letting you know all of this b/c your home will be the most amount of money you ever spend..and if you plan on having kids..well, I would think you would want them to have a great life, etc. I always say (not towards you) but if you buy in Bethpage knowing all of this and have children or want to have children..you are doing them a disservice. While the schools are great there...their health is much more imporants..and the parents as well. I know on LI there is a high breast cancer rate in general, etc...but why make yourself more prone by moving to an area with a high cancer rate? That's just my opinion and I'm not trying to burst your bubble. Just want you to know the facts. My husband and I watched a video (he's fromt he area too and got kidney failure at 28..dr's can't explain it), and when we watched the Bethpage water district video..my husband was skeptical. I mean, they spent so much money on it so why wouldn't it be doing what it has to do...right? But my husband doesn't trust anyone so...he was happy as well we didn'g buy there and we both love it there. BTW, my aunt who also lives in Bethpage developed cancer too. For me it's just too much if's to take the chance. Like I said, I just wanted to make you aware b/c of health concerns and this is the biggest amount of money you will be paying out. Also, there are kids developing certain conditions in their teens which just isn't normal...I can't remember the specifics of what they are developing. It's a neurological condition. Just unheard of in yoru teen years. Anyhoo, if you need any other info or if you want to give me an idea where you are buying I can tell you if it's higher rate there than other areas. I feel bad b/c I know you've had a hell of a time with house hunting and bidding wars.
Thanks, I appreciate the information and concern, but I think we are well-enough-equipped to draw our own conclusions from all of the information that's out there. I'm not denying there is/was a problem, but we'll make the decision that's best for us and our family. I just think it's a little bit of a stretch to say that by choosing to live here we are doing our future family a disservice. Obviously, the conditions you grew up in are not the same as the conditions there now and while it's very sad for anyone to be diagnosed with cancer at any age, I know of many people who have had cancer and don't live anywhere near Bethpage (not even on Long Island).

We're also aware of the issue with the number streets and the house we're buying is not in the number streets area, nor is it terribly close to Grumman. The truth of the matter is that there are contamination and plume issues in many areas and people have to make decisions for themselves. Based on your argument, no one should live anywhere southeast of Bethpage on Long Island either (OR anywhere South of Sunrise Highway, due to Sandy), because the plume is spreading to areas that are not yet equipped to handle the contamination removal from the public water supply. So, as far as I'm concerned, Bethpage is likely one of the safest areas to be in now that the problem is more under control there.

I'm sorry you know so many people who have had such horrible health problems, but I think it's wrong to try to instill fear in other people. It's one thing to share information, but another to admonish them for their choices. I don't mean to sound rude - I think you have good intentions, but you have to understand how it can also come off as fear-mongering a little bit.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:33 AM

909 posts, read 1,837,269 times
House on a slab? Run away if so.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
House on a slab? Run away if so.
No, it has a basement. Why does the house being on a slab matter?

Old 05-17-2013, 12:20 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,991,727 times
To get back on topic..... National Grid gave me 100 ft of main line for free.. I paid the other 150 ft.... then they gave me 100 ft of service line for free.... I paid the other 86 feet.

Don't recall how much it all cost since it was wrapped up in my entire renovation contract. I just installed a furnace and two tankless hot water units.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:45 PM

827 posts, read 3,094,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csteen85 View Post
Thanks, I appreciate the information and concern, but I think we are well-enough-equipped to draw our own conclusions from all of the information that's out there. I'm not denying there is/was a problem, but we'll make the decision that's best for us and our family. I just think it's a little bit of a stretch to say that by choosing to live here we are doing our future family a disservice. Obviously, the conditions you grew up in are not the same as the conditions there now and while it's very sad for anyone to be diagnosed with cancer at any age, I know of many people who have had cancer and don't live anywhere near Bethpage (not even on Long Island).

We're also aware of the issue with the number streets and the house we're buying is not in the number streets area, nor is it terribly close to Grumman. The truth of the matter is that there are contamination and plume issues in many areas and people have to make decisions for themselves. Based on your argument, no one should live anywhere southeast of Bethpage on Long Island either (OR anywhere South of Sunrise Highway, due to Sandy), because the plume is spreading to areas that are not yet equipped to handle the contamination removal from the public water supply. So, as far as I'm concerned, Bethpage is likely one of the safest areas to be in now that the problem is more under control there.

I'm sorry you know so many people who have had such horrible health problems, but I think it's wrong to try to instill fear in other people. It's one thing to share information, but another to admonish them for their choices. I don't mean to sound rude - I think you have good intentions, but you have to understand how it can also come off as fear-mongering a little bit.

I'm sorry you feel that I was trying to instill fear into you. I didn't mean to do so. I was telling the reality of the situation...that's all. I have a friend who lives there and she also doesn't care to hear it..I think mostly b/c she dumped her whole life savings into this house only to find all of this out. She grew up in Levittown. She purchased after everything became public but I had told her prior b/c I knew about it before it went public. I so didn't mean to instill fear or try to be that way. I've just really kept up with all of this stuff so I know a lot about it. I don't wish any ill will on you, your family or anyone who lives there. It may have happened years ago but the effects are still there as much as you want to think they are not. If you ask anyone I know (aside from my friend who lives there now) if they would move back although the water district changed everything, the majority of them would not. I know some people are worried about their house prices plummeting being it finally went public. Anyhoo, good luck with your contract. Bethpage is a nice small town and the schools are excellent aside from the whole Grumman problem.

And as for Sandy, and living south of Sunrise, I completely agree with you. My family lives on the water now and they got luck b/c they had no damage..however, they are worried about another storm.

Again, good luck and I'm happy to hear your offer finally got accepted on a home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island