Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 01:43 PM

90 posts, read 217,200 times

Advertisements

Pressure from the earth surface, combined with geo thermal heat over time facilitate a molecular shift which...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 03:01 PM

9,934 posts, read 23,209,827 times
So far, National Grid is still paying for the first 100 ft - after that, figure between $75-$85/ft

Call National Grid and find out if there's gas in the street and go from there

Old 05-17-2013, 06:21 PM

22,723 posts, read 36,933,257 times
The water heater is separate from the heating system...ie, you can replace one without the other. A water heater for installed for $500 - I want to know what size that thing is. I think you need to do a bit of reading about houses - I think you might be in for some nasty surprises once you own a home.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:22 PM

429 posts, read 855,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
The water heater is separate from the heating system...ie, you can replace one without the other. A water heater for installed for $500 - I want to know what size that thing is. I think you need to do a bit of reading about houses - I think you might be in for some nasty surprises once you own a home.
Having been a renter all my life, I gotta start somewhere, right?

Old 05-17-2013, 07:55 PM

909 posts, read 1,841,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csteen85 View Post
No, it has a basement. Why does the house being on a slab matter?
Gas conversion on a slab home is a bit more complicated and expensive. I also wouldn't recommend purchasing a home on a slab.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:18 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,792,783 times
My husband converted to gas in 2004 and he paid between 6K and $6500. There was gas service already on the street so he didn't have to pay extra for that. He also added baseboard heating to one of the rear rooms that didn't have any heat.

(And sorry, but not to beat a dead horse,,,but...)
As to Bethpage, I am with LiGirl74 on this one. I worked for an environmental group in HS and we had maps in the office of all the cancer clusters on Long Island. The section for Bethpage was a complete mess, with scores of scientific evidence and testing from Grumman proving toxins continued to leak, despite EPAs attempt to monitor and control it. I remember writing letters to local politicians in the mid 90s urging them to release these statistics and be proactive in working to improve cleanup efforts, but of course, they fell on deaf ears. When we canvassed the area and spoke to residents, half of them would slam the doors in our faces, while the other half would open their doors and regale us with stories of how their kids or family members were recently diagnosed with cancer. I refuse to even look at any homes there, even if the home was free, I would not want to be exposed to the poor soil/water quality around those sections of Bethpage.
Good luck with the closing.

Last edited by LegalDiva; 05-17-2013 at 10:27 PM..

Old 05-18-2013, 07:10 AM

429 posts, read 855,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
My husband converted to gas in 2004 and he paid between 6K and $6500. There was gas service already on the street so he didn't have to pay extra for that. He also added baseboard heating to one of the rear rooms that didn't have any heat.

As to Bethpage, I am with LiGirl74 on this one. I worked for an environmental group in HS and we had maps in the office of all the cancer clusters on Long Island. The section for Bethpage was a complete mess, with scores of scientific evidence and testing from Grumman proving toxins continued to leak, despite EPAs attempt to monitor and control it. I remember writing letters to local politicians in the mid 90s urging them to release these statistics and be proactive in working to improve cleanup efforts, but of course, they fell on deaf ears. When we canvassed the area and spoke to residents, half of them would slam the doors in our faces, while the other half would open their doors and regale us with stories of how their kids or family members were recently diagnosed with cancer. I refuse to even look at any homes there, even if the home was free, I would not want to be exposed to the poor soil/water quality around those sections of Bethpage.
Wow. I think the fear mongering is getting a little out of control now. Do you have cold hard statistics that prove that the contamination is causing an increased rate of cancer in the area? You don't, because I read the study and that was not the conclusion that was drawn from it - in fact, it was the opposite. That the amount of cancer in Bethpage was LOWER than the expected amount based on the average number of diagnoses by population in the rest of NY.
Don't you think it's a little crazy to be telling people that they're likely going to develop cancer by living in a certain area without having and cold, hard proof that it will happen? I think it's incredibly irresponsible.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:15 AM

4,676 posts, read 10,021,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csteen85 View Post
Wow. I think the fear mongering is getting a little out of control now. Do you have cold hard statistics that prove that the contamination is causing an increased rate of cancer in the area? You don't, because I read the study and that was not the conclusion that was drawn from it - in fact, it was the opposite. That the amount of cancer in Bethpage was LOWER than the expected amount based on the average number of diagnoses by population in the rest of NY.
Don't you think it's a little crazy to be telling people that they're likely going to develop cancer by living in a certain area without having and cold, hard proof that it will happen? I think it's incredibly irresponsible.
No epidemiologist has ever been able to establish a link between cancer clusters and the Bethpage plume. It's been chalked up to demographics.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:50 AM

22,723 posts, read 36,933,257 times
Not very often does the gov't ever own up to cancer clusters.

Down here in Wake Forest there are 3 kids who graduated from high school together who all have the same very rare cancer. They all had a class together in their freshman year and the school was under construction while they were there. They are being treated at Duke and Duke has gotten together with the CDC on it, but as of now it's just "coincidence".

I believe Duke is examining the role of genetics for how one might be predisposed to get a certain cancer based on a trigger - the question with these kids is, what was the trigger?

Old 05-18-2013, 11:31 AM

827 posts, read 3,100,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post

Thank you for agreeing with me. I saw the ops response to your post. There is only so much you can infor, soneone and then its up to them to make a decision. I hope one day when it it comes time to sell my inlaws home, we find a buyer like the buyers now who dont mind what is going on. As my husband told me last night when i mentioned about our old neighborhood and what is going on and how the op said they thought i was instilling fear into them..he said to me, why do you even bother or carr about someone you dont even know and if they are buying in bethpage with all the toxins,etc..so i am living by this bc it made sense to me..i dont know the op so why waste my time and energy trying to explain the realness of the issue bc i liveed it. So i just wanted to say thanks for agreeing with me on this..i knew i wasnt the only one who could feel this way and worry about cancer, toxins and soil contamination. You couldnt give me a house in bethpage and it saddens me to say that bc my childhood was spent there as well as so many things. Its just too questionable for my liking.

Again, OP, good luck with your contract and closing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island