Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 02:20 PM

886 posts, read 2,647,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzmanLI View Post
Born and raised on Long Island for 20 yrs. Left for Southwest Florida. Love it!! Quality of life is much higher then what I had on LI. don't miss NY, but sure do miss my family. Long Island is a love-hate relationship for me.
Heading down to Naples area this summer to start looking for either a condo or villa in a gated community. My bride has always wanted to go there and as I have gotten older I cannot deny the winters and cold weather suck. I can always head to Tampa to see the Yanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 04:55 PM

441 posts, read 1,292,050 times
Here in Wake Forest, NC after living in Setauket for 40 years, loving every day.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:31 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,772,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingElsewhere View Post
If I was leaving LI and looking elsewhere...

California for me. Housing is just as expensive as Long Island, but California housing stock is generally newer and more spacious, so you feel like you get more bang for your buck. Property taxes are a bargin in California compared to LI. As other posters stated, the weather is much more mild so energy costs tend to be much less, and fresh fruits and veggies are cheaper in California. Also, California has a lot more higher paying and interesting private sector jobs than LI (especially in the Bay Area and LA), so there is a more even income to COL ratio compared to LI from what I've seen.

I also would be happy in Colorado or Arizona, there's a lot going for Phoenix and Denver metro areas. One of my good friends moved from LI to North Carolina a few months ago and loves it there.
Same here. I've travelled all over the country and lived down south. California is the only other place I could see myself moving to (either San Diego or the SF Bay area). Maybe one day I will actually transfer out there. Couldn't pay me to ever move down south again...

Old 06-13-2013, 05:57 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,235,557 times
Already left for of all places - North East Ohio! Howland Township. I like to call it "Long Island Light". All the conveniences of LI, with none of the hassles.

Nice receptive and cool people who don't hate New Yorkers and actually like my accent!

Smart people and many good colleges!

Subdivisions that remind me of LI.

Beautiful older 1920 homes - we have one- think Garden City at 150K

Low Taxes!

Good Schools!

Lake Erie makes the Sound look like a POND.

Skip PA - they hate us there. NJ is just as expensive. These are good people and a pretty area.

Oh - Great Italian food, very good bagels and loads of wineries and upscale Malls.

NE OH! We love it!

Questions? Send a dm.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:06 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,954,383 times
Warren Zee......The Z-Boyeezz (“two E's, two Z's and double the flavaâ€)

Glad to see your move is working out for you

Old 06-13-2013, 08:27 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchz1 View Post
Here in Wake Forest, NC after living in Setauket for 40 years, loving every day.
Thats were my uncle used to live now hes in knightsdale.NC

Old 06-14-2013, 06:18 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,532,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddei63 View Post
Moved to Portland Maine 13 years ago. Absolutely love it.
I love Portland. Every year (4h of July) I start at Bar Harbor and head down the coast, last stop.... Kennebunk.

I am actually looking for a vaca home (retire to it one day) in Boothbay Harbor. As far as the winters, start that fireplace, feet up, cup of coffee in hand and post on City Data. The way life should be.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:57 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Already left for of all places - North East Ohio! Howland Township. I like to call it "Long Island Light". All the conveniences of LI, with none of the hassles.

Nice receptive and cool people who don't hate New Yorkers and actually like my accent!

Smart people and many good colleges!

Subdivisions that remind me of LI.

Beautiful older 1920 homes - we have one- think Garden City at 150K

Yeah, that's because instead of being a streetcar suburb of New York City like Garden City is, it's a street car suburb of friggin' WARREN, OH. And right down the road is the most depressing place I've been in the US, Youngstown Ohio. Their big public expenditure is bulldozing vacant burned out houses and turning the land back into Prarie.

Now, I know someone who lives near you and they love it, could never afford to live on LI and didn't need to be near NYC anymore. They have a nice house, good schools, where they live everything is new, etc. But there's a REASON it's so cheap in Ohio. The cities have vacant downtowns and boarded up empty houses are all over the place. If you live on LI and never utilize NYC, then that isn't a problem.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:05 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
One place I would def check out if I was moving is the WF area. Mainly because they have a traditional school calendar year and some older housing stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchz1 View Post

Old 06-14-2013, 07:37 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,810 times
Really depends. Right now I'm looking at Raleigh-- I'll probably take a trip down there soon to scout it out.

Other contenders include Atlanta, Charlotte, DC, and New Castle County, DE (why don't more LIers look there??).

I thought about Chicago, because I love it there (especially Evanston), but I can't deal with the winters.

I'd love to try out Texas (Austin, Dallas, Houston) or California (SoCal, in particular), but I want to remain within driving distance of Long Island.

I finish my masters degree in December, so we'll see what happens then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island