Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2013, 09:37 PM

10,731 posts, read 22,909,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Your last sentence can be done in Upstate NY easily for much less and maybe more land.

It is interesting how many people overlook areas that could work and they go to the same places(Raleigh, Charleston, Greenville, etc.). You could even say that people move to the same exact communities(Cary, Mount Pleasant, Summerville, Wake Forest, etc.).
Yup, as a native North Carolinian in one of the "let's move there, and bring our extended family with us!!" cities, frankly I am dumbfounded that there is anybody left on Long Island--sure seems like they've all moved here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 10:57 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,833,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Your last sentence can be done in Upstate NY easily for much less and maybe more land.

It is interesting how many people overlook areas that could work and they go to the same places(Raleigh, Charleston, Greenville, etc.). You could even say that people move to the same exact communities(Cary, Mount Pleasant, Summerville, Wake Forest, etc.).
The problem with Upstate NY is that it's still in NY and taxes go to the same buffons in Albany no matter where you live in the state. I looked up state and the taxes I was seeing in the Albany area were about 3/4 of what they were on LI - in other words, they were still high (besides the harsher winters). A lot of former NYer are moving to areas where the taxes are a lot less.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:45 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,403,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
lol...on the net I play hard to get but in person
Judging from his posts on this thread, looks like you and dman have been having some trysts lately, right?

Old 06-15-2013, 11:46 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,403,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Yup, as a native North Carolinian in one of the "let's move there, and bring our extended family with us!!" cities, frankly I am dumbfounded that there is anybody left on Long Island--sure seems like they've all moved here.
You poor guy! Nothing like the "Containment Area for Relocated Yankees!"

Old 06-15-2013, 04:56 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,256,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Yeah, that's because instead of being a streetcar suburb of New York City like Garden City is, it's a street car suburb of friggin' WARREN, OH. And right down the road is the most depressing place I've been in the US, Youngstown Ohio. Their big public expenditure is bulldozing vacant burned out houses and turning the land back into Prarie.

Now, I know someone who lives near you and they love it, could never afford to live on LI and didn't need to be near NYC anymore. They have a nice house, good schools, where they live everything is new, etc. But there's a REASON it's so cheap in Ohio. The cities have vacant downtowns and boarded up empty houses are all over the place. If you live on LI and never utilize NYC, then that isn't a problem.
I am not panting to pay 20K taxes. Been there done that.

The thread is about where you would or have moved. I gave a viable alternative.

I'd never live in the South. I'm not a southerner.

Sounds like your friends are happy as we are!

Do you get HAPPY? I love scenic pretty places that are affordable.

The whole state of Ohio has more colleges than the Boston area.

We have Kenyon, Ohio State, Oberlin, Antioch, Ohio Wesleyan, Case Western Reserve, Ohio University, Kent State, University of Dayton, University of Cincinnati, Witenburg University, Ohio Christian University, Walsh University, Bowling Green University and more.

Our quality of life is better. Less expensive. Better communities and schools. People who welcome people from NY.

Keep the South. I tried PA and they hate us.

Don't knock what you have no knowledge about.

We are near Cleveland and Pittsburgh. Good cities.

Old 06-15-2013, 05:00 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,417,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
You poor guy! Nothing like the "Containment Area for Relocated Yankees!"
I live there. He lives in another city around these parts.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:04 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,226,218 times
Where would I begin?

Left LI 14 yrs ago..moved back here after 7 yrs there.

Then moved to SC for year..now back here on LI yet again...Big question is..where will we go next???

Old 06-15-2013, 07:05 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,734,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Where would I begin?

Left LI 14 yrs ago..moved back here after 7 yrs there.

Then moved to SC for year..now back here on LI yet again...Big question is..where will we go next???
Just out of curiosity, would you mind sharing why you came and left twice? I'm always interested in hearing how/why people come back since I don't know too many people who did.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:17 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,678,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
But there's a REASON it's so cheap in Ohio. The cities have vacant downtowns and boarded up empty houses are all over the place.

You, obviously, have never been to downtown Cincinnati or Cleveland.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:24 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,734,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
You, obviously, have never been to downtown Cincinnati or Cleveland.
...or Columbus. I was just there Memorial Day week. It's a really nice city, just not what I'm looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island