Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 02:39 PM

884 posts, read 1,406,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
you pay a toll going from LI to Queens? lol
Queens is on Long Island. So is Brooklyn. So yes, you do pay a toll when leaving Long Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 02:56 PM

332 posts, read 613,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Not a Long Island thread??..I could be wrong but I never left the island in a car without paying a toll.

OP- I think each ez pass has to have the car registered to the tag.
Take the queensboro bridge (Free) up to the Willis avenue bridge in to the Bronx. Boom you are on the mainland without having paid a toll.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:14 PM

68 posts, read 199,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbat hunter View Post
Take the queensboro bridge (Free) up to the Willis avenue bridge in to the Bronx. Boom you are on the mainland without having paid a toll.
It would be nice if that could happen as fast as you made it sound, but that's not reality, at least not on the return trip. If you want to get there "some time tonight", I suggest one of the toll bridges.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:23 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanth311 View Post
Hi All - My personal E-Z pass didn`t work at few tolls on my way to Niagara and I was using rental vehicle. 3 out of 7 times it was showing amber. In this case I assume the rental company will get my violation tickets.
1. How much time will it take if they want to give the violation tickets?
2. Is there any option thatI can pay the fee online to avoid the violation tickets?
3. Can I send my statement for the times the toll was collected in the same way? so that i can skip the tickets

Thanks
As I understand it, yes you can use the EZ Pass with a rental BUT you must register the plate number in your own EZ Pass account for it to accept it. Please feel free to correct this if someone has more updated info.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:53 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
It's bc each ez pass is registered to a certain car. So my ez pass is registered to my car only. No one else can borrow it in their car. I guess it's linked to your plate or something

Old 08-20-2013, 04:19 PM

332 posts, read 613,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trolling For Dollars View Post
It would be nice if that could happen as fast as you made it sound, but that's not reality, at least not on the return trip. If you want to get there "some time tonight", I suggest one of the toll bridges.
He didn't say he wanted it fast, just free. :P

In IT we have a saying, pick two of the following, fast, cheap or good. You cannot have all three.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:27 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
It's bc each ez pass is registered to a certain car. So my ez pass is registered to my car only. No one else can borrow it in their car. I guess it's linked to your plate or something
The EZPass is not read in conjunction with your license plate, ie there is no plate reader at the toll plaza. There are plenty of states with only rear tags that use EZPass (like where I live). The fact that the plate didn't match the Pass is irrelevant. I've used interchangeably in my cars with no issues at all.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:29 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
The EZPass is not read in conjunction with your license plate, ie there is no plate reader at the toll plaza. There are plenty of states with only rear tags that use EZPass (like where I live). The fact that the plate didn't match the Pass is irrelevant. I've used interchangeably in my cars with no issues at all.
That is not the case in De. Last summer before we moved here I got a violation notice in the mail with a picture of my rear license plate going through the toll plaza. It was a case of DH thought I had reported the change of plate and he thought I had done it. The license plate that corresponded to the pass was 5 years expired. It just shows you that not every time does it get picked up.

They were very nice and as long as I reported the new plate and had enough $$ in the account to cover the charge they wiped out the violation. Thankfully that was the case as the toll was .25 and the administrative fees etc. were $25.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:42 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I'm pretty sure they do have license plate cameras, because that's how they mail bills to the violators in the non-stop E-Z pass lanes. However, I agree with you that it wouldn't trigger the camera if the E-Z Pass didn't match up with the registered vehicle unless the rental vehicle was not in the same class as the registered vehicle.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:16 AM

562 posts, read 1,058,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trolling For Dollars View Post
I drive between Long Island and Westchester often and take the Queensboro/Madison Ave Bridge combo up and Third Ave Bridge/Queensboro combo back. It doesn't take that much longer, and given all the construction that's been happening on both the Whitestone and Throgs Neck, toll bridges often take longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island