Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 06:51 AM

35 posts, read 126,183 times

Advertisements

Hi guys I have a question hope you guys can help. I am thinking about buying a house in huntington for $345K, the real estate agent at the open house told me that the seller wants 20k+ in earnest money. Is this the norm on LI, I was thinking more like 1-2%. In any case the seller rejected my offer b/c i only wanted to put down 7K. I am a first time buyer so I am new to all this. Advice appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 08:09 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,777,627 times
When you say "earnest money" do you mean downpayment? $7,000 down on a $345,000 purchase is rather low (it's only 2%). Most sellers like to see at least 5% to 10% down. However, if you are already pre-approved for a low down payment mortgage program (yes, they still exist), it should not be as much of an issue. Have you spoken to a mortgage banker yet?

The reason that seller's like to see as much money down as possible is because it increases the chances of the buyer's mortgage going through. Sellers do not want to take their homes off of the market and then find out two or three months down the line that you cannot get the mortgage. The stronger you can make your offer in terms of down payment and mortgage pre-approval, the better chance you will have of getting it accepted.

Good luck.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:51 AM

35 posts, read 126,183 times
I am already pre-approved 100% financing 380K@6.7% fixed rate, the earnest money from what I understand is deposit to show the seller that my offer is legitimate. My problem with putting down a large amount is fear of loosing the money in case something comes up. This is the money that goes towards closing.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:59 AM

This is the old give and take of negotiation. The seller wants the buyer to be more at risk, and they buyer wants to minimize risk. I really would not be concerned about putting more money up front, if you have it. Your contract should contain a "mortgage contingency clause" that states that if you cannot get your mortgage, then you get your money back. The only way that you generally lose your down payment is if you willfully default on the contract. This hardly ever happens. You will want to discuss it with your attorney, though.

Also, do you have a "pre-approval" or a "pre-qualification"? Many consumers confuse these two things. A pre-qualification is when, based on some preliminary information and a credit check, the lender gives you a letter that says you are qualified for the loan subject to certain conditions. A pre-approval means you have gone through the entire mortgage process (proving income, assets, credit, etc.) and you have been fully approved for the loan and just need to find the property. Obviously, a pre-approval is a much stronger position to be in.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:03 AM

68 posts, read 423,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbogirl View Post
I am already pre-approved 100% financing 380K@6.7% fixed rate, the earnest money from what I understand is deposit to show the seller that my offer is legitimate. My problem with putting down a large amount is fear of loosing the money in case something comes up. This is the money that goes towards closing.
In order for your offer to be legitimate (Legal) you and the seller will need to sign a contract to purchase the property. Do not give anyone a check for "earnest money." When you find a home and make an offer that the seller accepts, contact a real estate attorney prior to signing the contract. The written offer you make with a real estate agent is not the contract. Earnest money is not the same as a downpayment. A downpayment is held in an escrow account by an attorney, while earnest money is a check generally given to the seller when you make the initial offer, as a token of good faith, and is not required. It may also be very difficult to get back if something goes wrong.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedwardjos View Post
In order for your offer to be legitimate (Legal) you and the seller will need to sign a contract to purchase the property. Do not give anyone a check for "earnest money." When you find a home and make an offer that the seller accepts, contact a real estate attorney prior to signing the contract. The written offer you make with a real estate agent is not the contract. Earnest money is not the same as a downpayment. A downpayment is held in an escrow account by an attorney, while earnest money is a check generally given to the seller when you make the initial offer, as a token of good faith, and is not required. It may also be very difficult to get back if something goes wrong.
Generally, today, earnest money deposits are not used. And, by the way, a binder and accepted offer mean nothing. Until you are in contract, anything goes (both for the buyer and seller).

Old 11-13-2007, 01:53 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,311,653 times
Default No offense but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbogirl View Post
I do not know your personal financial situation, but in the present market, are you not at all concerned about financing a home at almost 100% particularly in a softer market that might not have bottomed? Of course there is different risk if you put 20% down and technically lose equity on paper but it also gives you a cushion for a housing price decline in case you need to sell unexpectedly and do not want to be short of your total mortgage. Makes me squeamish...

Old 11-14-2007, 11:56 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,428,165 times
It is at all possible to buy a house with 0 down? I have heard of people who have done it...how does that work?

Old 11-14-2007, 06:05 PM
Status: " living in beautiful Charleston South Carolina" (set 16 days ago)

8,826 posts, read 21,319,678 times
My son has a friend in the Boston area who put down zero on a $550,000 home. She is a Brazilian imigrant (not legal) who worked as a cleaning person and who probably earned less than $30,000 a year. Now the house is worth half that (it was probably never worth what she paid for it) and the house is in foreclosure and she has lost everything.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:32 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,527,285 times
Good info in this post...

The seller of the home I am buying in Sound Beach wanted 10K in earnest money. We were equally as surprised and figured our measly 1K would be enough. We settled on 5K...but I got an earful about how this is the state of the market these days. Once again...all real estate is local! IN Utah, where I am selling my home, 1K would be plenty for earnest money.

I was also told (as Tom says) that the earnest money will not be used and I would get it back. It is more for the warm fuzzys of the seller. Best to work this with your lawyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island