Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 07:28 PM

4 posts, read 14,298 times

Advertisements

As a kid there was no such thing as junk! GEM was the place to find your school clothes and record albums. Going there was always fun. I wish we could bring back the "Good Old Days" when Elmont had a lot to offer. Now its just one gas station after the next, pizza joints, nail salons and delis. Its time to bring some fun back to Elmont. Maybe not a place like Great Eastern Mills but we could use a new skating rink. As far as I am concerned, who needs another Walgreens? Wouldn't it be nice to have a family place to go to? We can call our new rink The Elmont Family Skating Rink and Fun Center. All we have now is the Racetrack and the Library. That's great but kids cant bet on horses and how many books can you read? Does anyone agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 01:14 PM

1 posts, read 4,206 times
Default Used to go there

I'm 55 and grew up in Franklin Square and would take my bicycle with friends to GEM to play the arcade - that's where I honed my skeeball skills I'm sure. That's also when parents let their kids go several miles away on very commercial, busy streets. Never in a million years now for my kids. Really does bring back fond memories, but no pictures of it best I can remember.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:40 AM

2 posts, read 7,060 times
I used to live on D st from 55-64. I hung out at Jimmys deli, Tizos market and Cobs deli. I also worked at Gouz dairy from 64-69. I made the big milk containers that were on top of Gouz dairy. Good times I had in Elmont!!!

Old 11-05-2013, 06:50 AM

414 posts, read 911,043 times
I grew up in Floral Park in the 50's/60's, went to FPM HS. South FP was the block behind ours...we would walk through the woods to GEM. A long walk but worth it for the 45's! Often went roller skating at Walcliff in the mid-60's. What fun we had!! As Edith sang, "those were the days" for sure!

Old 03-15-2014, 08:18 PM

1 posts, read 3,831 times
Was born and grew up in elmont, my brother worked at the race track. I remember going to the farmer on dutch bway. We would like the chickens and the corn fields. Going to argo theater on the corner of elmont rd and hempstead turnpike. The old cementary on elmont rd. I lived there for thirty six yrs. Back then it was a nice place to grow up. Mom and dad never locked the doors at night. Everyone watched out for each other and we knew everyone on the block. My friend use to work at great eastern. Every Friday nite we would go to the franklin movies for ten o'clock show. There was alittle farm that sold fresh veggies, my mom would go all the time. It was right by the TSS. Could go on forever. Miss those days.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:57 PM

3 posts, read 7,977 times
I remember great eastern. when we were kids a friend of mine got caught shoplifting from the record store that was just inside the front door.....

Old 11-19-2014, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,363 times
Does anyone remember the LI Duck Farm on Dutch Broadway? It was either in Elmont, Cambria Heights, or Franklin Square. I would like to know what happened to it. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:13 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,137 times
wasnt that later two guys dept store or something

Old 04-01-2015, 04:59 AM

1 posts, read 3,115 times
the Wallcliff roller skating rink had an Outside public pool above the rink. the pool was on the 2nd floor. Location was at the end of Carlson ave. Elmont.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:43 AM

622 posts, read 852,543 times
Wasn't there a slot car place just down Hempstead Turnpike from GEM?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island