Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 09:34 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,280,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
A red light is NOT a "stop sign" for those turning right. It's a RED LIGHT and it's under your discretion when and if to make a right on red. If I have some douchebag behind me honking his horn? Nope, now I'm not moving until the light is green. You aren't going to tell me when it's okay to go or not go so now you can just wait.
Sorry, no. Pequaman nailed it. If you are refusing to turn right on red when it's safe and legal to do so, you are willfully inconveniencing other drivers and should be promptly removed from the gene pool.

I've said it before, one of the many downsides of the red light camera scam is idiots refusing to turn right on red, thinking they will get a ticket even though there isn't a "no turn on red" sign. It's been bad enough that they now have "right on red permitted" signs at certain intersections, and even still you have the occasional moron who just sits there until the light changes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 04:07 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,670,248 times
It was a foreign concept for me to turn without a sign allowing you too. I pissed off a lot of people when I first moved out here.

What I hate is coming off the SSP (EB) onto 109, the end of the ramp puts you in a strait/right turn lane at New Hwy, with a green arrow that is green after the main signal turns red. I'm going straight here sitting at this green arrow. Also stupid is that vehicles on 109 turn right onto New Hwy as you're exiting. I'm waiting for an accident there, as the lines painted are solid, which to me means traffic already on 109 cannot make that turn.

To add to the fun is a red light camera there.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:41 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Worst law ever and should be abolished. It is not MANDATORY for someone to go ROR. Don't like that, too bad - doesn't change the facts. So save your horn.

No one should be honking at anyone anywhere, 9 times out of 10 you can't see oncoming traffic if you're the second car in line. It is entirely within the discretion of the first person in line to turn or not. If they just don't feel like it, tough luck. There are also situations where the right lane is straight ahead OR right turn. I love getting honked at when I'm going straight.

Most people truly do not understand that you only turn ROR when the traffic on the intersecting road is 100% clear and if an accident happens, the fault is the same as if you ran a red light. I had a guy hit our insured making a right on red (my insured with the green) - denied the claim, he sued in small claims, he lost - he never got it through his thick skull that under the law he ran a red light. Period. Also, most people NEVER look to their right to see if there is a pedestrian.

Handled soooo many accident claims due to ROR it's ridiculous.

Last edited by twingles; 11-15-2013 at 05:07 AM..

Old 11-15-2013, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
I disagree. I think it should be mandatory to turn right if a 'No Turn on Red' sign is not present. Would you sit at a stop sign and go when you feel like it? A red light is really just a stop sign when it comes to turning on red.
The end result of this is more congestion, longer delays, more cars cutting through residential side streets to get around this traffic. Nassau County has been putting 'no turn on red' signs EVERYWHERE the past 5 years. This did nothing toward making us safer. Sure, there might be a few less accidents, but they turned a lot what used to be safe residential streets into high traffic detour roads.
And we all know how well LI drivers adhere to Stop signs.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:45 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
people who honk love to hide inside their metal cages.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:08 AM

28 posts, read 44,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
people who honk love to hide inside their metal cages.
People who get honked at should get off the road.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:19 AM

28 posts, read 44,969 times
Reading this thread confirms the stereotype that LIer's can't drive. If you have that much trouble making a right on red maybe they should give an IQ test along with your license test. It's not that difficult.

I agree that the second car can't see oncoming traffic, but I can see if there is a 5 second lull in traffic where you could have turned. And 10 out of 10 times you deserve a honk for not turning. Actually, I would only honk if you didn't turn after a second opportunity; not after the first offense.

The absolute worst is when people don't understand a sign that says, "No Turn On Red When Pedestrians Are Present." Half the time people sit there waiting for a green light ignoring the pedestrian part. If the car in front doesn't inch up or act as if they are turning on red I just lay on the horn until they move.

Don't want to drive...stay off of the road.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:34 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,998,482 times
Agree it's funny that people feel magnanimous about NOT knowing how to drive and smugly justify sitting there like a shnook at a legal right on red...however the thread is titled "People who beep at you to turn at a No Turn On Red signal" and the bolded part makes it clear. No turn on red means no turn on red. Anyone honking is just being an idiot.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantsToLiveInTheBush View Post
Reading this thread confirms the stereotype that LIer's can't drive. If you have that much trouble making a right on red maybe they should give an IQ test along with your license test. It's not that difficult.

I agree that the second car can't see oncoming traffic, but I can see if there is a 5 second lull in traffic where you could have turned. And 10 out of 10 times you deserve a honk for not turning. Actually, I would only honk if you didn't turn after a second opportunity; not after the first offense.

The absolute worst is when people don't understand a sign that says, "No Turn On Red When Pedestrians Are Present." Half the time people sit there waiting for a green light ignoring the pedestrian part. If the car in front doesn't inch up or act as if they are turning on red I just lay on the horn until they move.

Don't want to drive...stay off of the road.
If I was in front of you, we'd both be sitting there until the light turned green. A quick tap on the horn as a wake-up/you can go reminder is one thing. Obnoxious horn usage prompts stubborness.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Agree it's funny that people feel magnanimous about NOT knowing how to drive and smugly justify sitting there like a shnook at a legal right on red...however the thread is titled "People who beep at you to turn at a No Turn On Red signal" and the bolded part makes it clear. No turn on red means no turn on red. Anyone honking is just being an idiot.
Now what does the original point of the thread have to do with ANYTHING?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island