Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 10:52 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,050,447 times

Advertisements

What would be an appropriate net worth for a 35 year old living on Long Island?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 11:02 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
What would be an appropriate net worth for a 35 year old living on Long Island?
whatever YOU have! Because as we all know there's no conceivable way you could have done any better!

Old 12-05-2013, 12:00 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,665,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal24 View Post
Agreed again, however there are actual figures displaying age vs balance based on respondent surveys and at 35 is in the 90th percentile.
Can you post a link to the distribution tables you referenced?

Old 12-05-2013, 12:20 PM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
It really is a waste of time just for the reasons i mention above.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:21 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,050,447 times
To be honest, there is no one size fits all number, since it depends on personal circumstances. I am 34 (about the same age as the OP) and I have about $155,000 in my 401K, about $65,000 in a rollover IRA (from a previous job's 401K), and about $70,000 in a Roth IRA, plus I have an ESOP (not sure offhand how much I have there). One may think I'm in the 90th percentile for my age, based on posts here. The truth is, I can currently save a lot of money, despite my low income (by LI standards), since my wife and I have no children yet, and we live very inexpensively, and we both lived with our parents until we were married. But once we have kids and a single family house, it will no longer be possible to live as inexpensively as we currently do, so I won't be able to contribute much, if at all, to my 401K. So my balance isn't as high as it might seem.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:31 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,785,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
It really is a waste of time just for the reasons i mention above.
I agree. This thread isnt helpful or going to assist OP with any info. 401K balances are just one small part of retirement - as people now have diverse accounts spread through IRA, CD's, savings accounts, etc.

Plus, people get married, divorced, deal with investments, buy homes w/ 401K withdrawals, so the picture can change at any time. I didn't start saving any money in my employer's 401K until I was almost 32 years old, and my balance in that account is pretty low compared to say, my secretary who is 55 and has been working at my firm for the past 30 years...but the difference is that my salary is at least double what she's earning so can contribute almost 50% so by the time I am 55, I could easily have 3x what she has even though I didn't start saving until much later.

From what I've been reading, all the finance experts like to wax poetic about how time is the major ingredient to a fat nest egg - to start as early as possible, and to consistently put in as much as possible as your earning potential increases, yada yada yada. While I agree with most of this, I can't help butr think that our economy is changing because more older workers are being downsized/laid off due to advances in technology, and the only jobs available for these people in their 40s/50s/60s who should be benefitting from compound interest, will barely have anything to retire with on the Mcjobs they would get now. (not to mention the disappearances of pensions and 401K accounts from private industry, gone are the days when a person could expect to work 30+ years and retire with great pension/benefits by age 65).

Old 12-05-2013, 05:10 PM

another point is it really does not matter what your balance is early in the game. for most they have so little relative to much later in the game that gains and losses don't really make a major change untill much later in life.

how you are as an investor ,your allocations and stomach for risk will mean more than your balance early on. a better investor can hit a home run by retirement age starting from a smaller balance,.

i started out in 1987 , we had the greatest stock market run up ever . 17 straight years that averaged almost 14%. but being i was just starting out and had little saved and committed at this point it kind of lost its punch for me.

today we are at a point where the market moves in one day can be 5 digits for us.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:21 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
The truth is, I can currently save a lot of money, despite my low income (by LI standards), since my wife and I have no children yet, and we live very inexpensively, and we both lived with our parents until we were married. But once we have kids and a single family house, it will no longer be possible to live as inexpensively as we currently do, so I won't be able to contribute much, if at all, to my 401K. So my balance isn't as high as it might seem.
yeah once our twins came and we were paying for pre-school (not an expensive one either), it was as much as a mortgage every month. Thankfully they're in the public schools now. Next... college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
how you are as an investor ,your allocations and stomach for risk will mean more than your balance early on. a better investor can hit a home run by retirement age starting from a smaller balance,.
How do you become a wiser investor? Do you watch MSNBC all day and read the papers to follow trends and you'll do ok? I don't think everyone can feasibly invest in real estate especially when younger.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:55 AM

how? by learning just enough to be able to evaluate who the smarter people are.

in my case i found a newsletter to guide me.

i have used them for more than 25 years. i use fidelity insight,they put together well balanced portfolios of plain ole fidelity funds. once a week you get an e-mail if there are any changes.

UP 1400% since i started in 1987.

it is not that their fund picks are so good , in fact they are not that great. but it gives you the discipline to stay put when we go to hell in a handbag some times and that is key.

i can put portfolios together in my sleep but i still use the newsletter to protect me from myself and my human reactions of trying to outsmart the markets or by trying to guess what to do next.

there are loads of methods out there that are simple.

things like the permanent portfolio.

25% each in an index fund, long term bond fund , gold and cash. rebalance once a yeaR.

THAT SIMPLE MIX HAS AVERAGED 9% A YEAR FOR 35 YEARS.

the problem is most who invest just fling money into things. they copy other ill-informed people or they just have no plan or strategy.

they do the wrong thing, they run and bail when they should buy or they stop investing when things are down

according to morningstar and ibbotson data the small investor sees about 1/3 the gains the funds get that they are in.

they are always trying to time things or panic.

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-06-2013 at 02:37 AM..

Old 12-06-2013, 08:54 AM

295 posts, read 345,919 times
Thank you Arsenal. My question was rather simple as I was just curious for this specific account. I'm actually in the "business" and was just curious on the balance of others as opposed for insight on myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island