Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 07:00 AM

570 posts, read 1,215,512 times

Advertisements

Ok, I must be a few years behind the times re Harborfields enrollment, sorry. I guess the population burst is aging out of the buildings. Huntington isn't shrinking, it always seems to have a small increase. Goes in waves around here.

They're renting out space in the "new" primary center on Washington Dr? wow. Is that where they have the UPK classes?

I don't think Elwood ever contacted Huntington in regards to consolidation - they don't share any borders. I believe it was just Northport, Harborfields and South Huntington (which they barely touch). Consolidation just doesn't happen on LI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 10:20 AM

5 posts, read 10,034 times
Thanks for the information! The older post about Elwood's consolidation seems to suggest that this is something that will not be resolved soon. Just to recap...HHH recently closed schools, Northport may be looking at a huge tax increase due to LIPA, Elwood may not be economically solvent...
Is there a consensus that Harborfields is currently the most reliable school district out of the bunch?

Old 12-31-2013, 10:23 AM

5,057 posts, read 3,959,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CatMom View Post
Ok, I must be a few years behind the times re Harborfields enrollment, sorry. I guess the population burst is aging out of the buildings. Huntington isn't shrinking, it always seems to have a small increase. Goes in waves around here.

They're renting out space in the "new" primary center on Washington Dr? wow. Is that where they have the UPK classes?

I don't think Elwood ever contacted Huntington in regards to consolidation - they don't share any borders. I believe it was just Northport, Harborfields and South Huntington (which they barely touch). Consolidation just doesn't happen on LI.
Enrollment decrease is quite dramatic especially in those schools that saw the greatest growth (HHH, Harborfields, CSH, etc.). I don't think Huntington is in that category. Harborfields is leasing out space to daycare/pre-k (not UPK) programs at the 12-year-old Washington Drive school and that dovetails quite well with its half-day kindergarten from a taxpayer perspective.

You might find the enrollment issue interesting:

http://www.wsboces.org/uploadedimage...-2006-2015.pdf

My understanding is that Harborfields is already looking at its schools utilization plan - not as dramatic as HHH but Harborfields tends to be a bit forward looking.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fammove View Post
Thanks for the information! The older post about Elwood's consolidation seems to suggest that this is something that will not be resolved soon. Just to recap...HHH recently closed schools, Northport may be looking at a huge tax increase due to LIPA, Elwood may not be economically solvent...
Is there a consensus that Harborfields is currently the most reliable school district out of the bunch?
Reliable? I would say HHH and Harborfields have stronger reputations than Elwood and Northport but all four are very good districts. HHH closing schools is merely a function of wise management and the overall decline in school age population here on Long Island. (Of course there are exceptions to the overall decline).

Old 12-31-2013, 11:33 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,161,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fammove View Post
Thanks for the information! The older post about Elwood's consolidation seems to suggest that this is something that will not be resolved soon. Just to recap...... Elwood may not be economically solvent...

Where did that come from?

Old 12-31-2013, 05:04 PM

721 posts, read 1,567,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Harborfields is leasing out space to daycare/pre-k (not UPK) programs at the 12-year-old Washington Drive school and that dovetails quite well with its half-day kindergarten from a taxpayer perspective.
Yeah Harborfields rents the space to one of the preschools that does Kindergarten "enrichment" and pre-K. So this way they can move the kids over from AM Kindy to enrichment without having to bus. Half day K is a joke but I like the district otherwise. It just is a total disconnect how we only need 2 hours of school for Kindergarten but first graders have an hour of homework at night after a full day of school.

The UPK program is not income-based. It's done by lottery. They have 2 locations that provide it but that money comes from a state grant. I never got selected for the lottery so I don't know anything about the programs but I have heard good things about Kiddie Academy's program.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:15 PM

Half day kindergarten seems to work out for the kids at Northport, Elwood, and Harborfields. The Harborfields innovation in leasing out space freed up by declining enrollment seems to fit the bill for some parents...provides an opportunity for a local private PRE-K...and brings in revenue for the district.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:29 PM

5 posts, read 10,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Where did that come from?
It seems like Elwood has been looking at consolidation for quite some time...If you have other information, please let me know since we really like the neighborhood of Old Chester Hills. Happy New Year!!!

Old 12-31-2013, 10:40 PM

883 posts, read 3,720,534 times
Of those choices, HHH or Harborfields have the strongest reputations. But you won't find a 4-5 bedroom house on an acre in HHH for $650k unless it is in horrendous condition. Your budget is more reasonable for Harborfields but if you can increase your budget you will have a lot more options. Also, have you considered the Commack SD? I hear lots of good things about it and you will have more options in your price range. Good luck with your search!

Old 01-01-2014, 12:01 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,161,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
Of those choices, HHH or Harborfields have the strongest reputations. But you won't find a 4-5 bedroom house on an acre in HHH for $650k unless it is in horrendous condition. Your budget is more reasonable for Harborfields but if you can increase your budget you will have a lot more options. Also, have you considered the Commack SD? I hear lots of good things about it and you will have more options in your price range. Good luck with your search!
While the Commack SD does indeed have a very good reputation, the RE market is very tight, and very little is available with the size property/house in the OP's price range
IMHO it also doesn't have the charm of Old Chester Hills - but that's merely personal opinion and expressed only because the OP mentioned liking it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island