Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 01:33 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,085,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I don't know who you spoke to but you got a BS answer. If the post office is short people, they borrow from other offices. If no one is available, they generally break up routes. I'm not sure if you are at the beginning or the end of your route but some offices will set a time to be back to the office during inclement weather. As far as today, as long as you shoveled by your box, you should have got mail if there was any. The volume was extremely light today because the processing plant/machines were down,and incoming mail from flights(air mail) as well so the letter volume would have reflected that.
The guy I spoke to at the post office was very blunt when I asked if they were delivering mail. He asked for me address and right away said no one was on that route today because they were short staffed. I was surprised because in much worse snows the mail was delivered during storms or by the day after.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 07:48 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,821 times
Stony brook here...and we have the WORST post office. No mail on tuesday AND wednesday....what a joke.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:17 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,081,311 times
who cares about mail really. 99% are useless.

important bills are paid electronic. Almost all junk everyday!

Old 01-23-2014, 09:07 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,134 times
Exactly...I wish we could opt out of mail delivery.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:40 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,083,707 times
My house didn't have delivery for the past 2 snow storms. There are even some days when it's raining hard and we don't get mail.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:43 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
They delivered the day after the storm for us. A lot less junk that we usually get. And 2 bills. Who wants it right?

Old 01-23-2014, 12:46 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
I had mail both days too.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:56 PM

32 posts, read 73,538 times
No mail delivery either bad snow day, but I really don't blame them. How terrible to have to trudge through snow at sub zero temps. If I had something important coming, I could see complaining, but I think the majority of us will live without our junk mail for a day.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:28 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
The guy I spoke to at the post office was very blunt when I asked if they were delivering mail. He asked for me address and right away said no one was on that route today because they were short staffed. I was surprised because in much worse snows the mail was delivered during storms or by the day after.
As I said before, it could have been what they classified an open route. There was no one specifically for the route so they broke it into pieces. Even if it was broken up though, the carriers might have been on a time restriction, so if you are at the end of the route it might have meant no mail for you; but there is no way that they didn't deliver to any customers on that specific route for the day. I'm a carrier for 20+ years and I have worked in a ton of offices over the years. There hasn't been a day ever that one route had no deliveries unless the post office was off for a holiday or shutdown based on EXTREME weather.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:57 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,085,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
As I said before, it could have been what they classified an open route. There was no one specifically for the route so they broke it into pieces. Even if it was broken up though, the carriers might have been on a time restriction, so if you are at the end of the route it might have meant no mail for you; but there is no way that they didn't deliver to any customers on that specific route for the day. I'm a carrier for 20+ years and I have worked in a ton of offices over the years. There hasn't been a day ever that one route had no deliveries unless the post office was off for a holiday or shutdown based on EXTREME weather.
Hi, you said as long as I shoveled by my box I should have gotten mail if there was any. I had shoveled and that's why I checked with the delivery supervisor at the post office to see if it was just that I had no mail. He said they were short of people and some areas would get no mail. (To be honest I don't know if he used the word 'routes' but that was my impression.) He then asked what street I was on and as soon as I told him he said there would be no mail delivery on my street that day.

I did get mail yesterday but it seems like they are still backed up. I have an eBay package that tracking shows arrived in the local post office in the early morning of 1/21 but it still hasn't been delivered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: