Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 08:40 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,188 times

Advertisements

Ok, so there was another gas explosion in NJ that killed a person and shattered a few homes.

Powerful explosion kills 1, injures 7 at N.J. neighborhood - CNN.com

Every time I see my winter bills I wish I had gas heat (even though its gotten a little more expensive over the past year).
But, this is another aspect that concerns me very much. Looking at some of the accidents that have happened over the years, it almost seems like one cannot do anything but hope they get lucky if they have gas heat ?

List of pipeline accidents in the United States 1975 to 1999 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
List of pipeline accidents in the United States in the 21st century - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Am I being too paranoid about this and should I consider it to be safer to stick with oil heat ?
Is there such a list for oil heating related accidents too ?

Just seeking opinions, and yes I know there are more people dying on the roads etc so I am not looking to compare this with how many died in gas related explosions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 08:54 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,084,011 times
its tragic if anyone gets seriously injured like that.

There are pros & cons to whatever you use. If it was the absolute best, everyone would be using the same system.

Yeah its possible that gas can explode but the chance is really small. Oil scares me in different ways...the biggest is oil leaks which cause catastrophic mess. The cost and environmental damage is a VERY expensive. That is also pretty rare...does it ever happen? sure.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:03 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Ok, so there was another gas explosion in NJ that killed a person and shattered a few homes.

Powerful explosion kills 1, injures 7 at N.J. neighborhood - CNN.com

Every time I see my winter bills I wish I had gas heat (even though its gotten a little more expensive over the past year).
But, this is another aspect that concerns me very much. Looking at some of the accidents that have happened over the years, it almost seems like one cannot do anything but hope they get lucky if they have gas heat ?

List of pipeline accidents in the United States 1975 to 1999 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
List of pipeline accidents in the United States in the 21st century - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Am I being too paranoid about this and should I consider it to be safer to stick with oil heat ?
Is there such a list for oil heating related accidents too ?

Just seeking opinions, and yes I know there are more people dying on the roads etc so I am not looking to compare this with how many died in gas related explosions.
Based on your overcautious nature, I take it that you don't ever leave your house? Ever pulled statistics on Automobile accidents?

Old 03-05-2014, 09:36 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,038,658 times
You should rename this thread "Love oil heat except when I have to pay for it".

Old 03-05-2014, 09:45 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,890,258 times
This type of accident could have affected you even if you didnt have a gas line in your home.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
Based on your overcautious nature, I take it that you don't ever leave your house? Ever pulled statistics on Automobile accidents?
I thought I had made it pretty clear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
You should rename this thread "Love oil heat except when I have to pay for it".
Lol, yeah I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
This type of accident could have affected you even if you didnt have a gas line in your home.
How ?

Old 03-05-2014, 10:20 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
have you ever heard of someone switching from gas to oil?

Old 03-05-2014, 10:59 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,038,658 times
If there was natural gas in my neighborhood, I would switch in a heartbeat. That being said, I do enjoy the fact that oil is "safer" and although it is expensive I can shop around for the best price.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:07 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,907 times
It would surely suck if you were oil and your neighbor's house with gas blew up and took out your oil house.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
have you ever heard of someone switching from gas to oil?
No I haven't, but I have not heard of an explosion like that in a house that had oil heat either.

If gas and oil cost the same would someone still convert to gas ?

I know you guys are saying that the chances are so low for such things to happen, and driving on road is more likely to kill you, agreed, I am not disputing it (the chances being low). But there are some things we can control vs not. Driving accidents cannot be controlled.

Basically I'm looking for some proof that says gas heating is safer (besides being cheaper) than oil heating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island