Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 07:38 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,765,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
My point was to tell the OP:

1. Even if your salary is higher in NYC, there are hidden costs (commuting, more expensive clothing, more expensive health insurance that covers less, having less free time and maybe needing to pay for things such as lawn mowing that you could have done yourself otherwise), and those take away from your salary.

2. When you are excited about a new job, you might be willing to accept a long commute. But do the math to realize the reality of the situation, and how little free time you'll have.

3. If you work in NYC, you will be expected to work very long hours, for a straight salary, no paid overtime. So, you'll have even less free time than you think, even when you factor in the commute.

4. Most NYC firms hire and promote based on looks, and they have a very specific look that they go for. If you fit their mold, then a job in NYC can benefit you. If you don't fit their mold (and I don't), then it's best to avoid NYC.

I was just trying to give advice to the OP.
are these all the excuses you tell yourself or loved ones? Or do you have more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 08:12 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,054,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Fact of the matter is you opened yourself up for the flaming. If you just prefaced your posts with a disclaimer you wouldn't get so much grief. Something like....."dad was successful and made my life too easy growing up and I've failed to do as well or better"....would work. You are the poster child for the entitlement generation.
Why do you say that? By working on Long Island, I have a better quality of life, so I do not consider that to be "failing to do as well or better". I could get a job in NYC if I want to, but I choose not to. What does "entitlement" have to do with anything? You're just using meaningless clichéd buzzwords when you know you don't have a valid point.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
How am I supposed to know? What I do know is that there's no way anyone who works at an actual engineering firm (or a firm in most industries) would have made such a ludicrous statement.
Tell that to HNSQ, not me.

Quote:
And it's interesting (and telling) that you choose to believe only advice that validates your predetermined opinions
Why do you say that?

Old 03-26-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
are these all the excuses you tell yourself or loved ones? Or do you have more?
Why do you call them excuses? Why do you have such a problem with the fact that I choose not to work in NYC?

Old 03-26-2014, 08:15 AM

8,697 posts, read 11,089,464 times
Quote:
My point was to tell the OP:

1. Even if your salary is higher in NYC, there are hidden costs (commuting, more expensive clothing, more expensive health insurance that covers less, having less free time and maybe needing to pay for things such as lawn mowing that you could have done yourself otherwise), and those take away from your salary.

2. When you are excited about a new job, you might be willing to accept a long commute. But do the math to realize the reality of the situation, and how little free time you'll have.

3. If you work in NYC, you will be expected to work very long hours, for a straight salary, no paid overtime. So, you'll have even less free time than you think, even when you factor in the commute.

4. Most NYC firms hire and promote based on looks, and they have a very specific look that they go for. If you fit their mold, then a job in NYC can benefit you. If you don't fit their mold (and I don't), then it's best to avoid NYC.

I was just trying to give advice to the OP.
pretty none of this would apply to me & I work in midtown Manhattan.

My commute door to door is 45 min. Its about the same commute time when I grew up in Queens going to Manhattan.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
pretty none of this would apply to me & I work in midtown Manhattan.

My commute door to door is 45 min. Its about the same commute time when I grew up in Queens going to Manhattan.
That's fine if you are in a field that pays enough to afford to live close to or in Manhattan.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Tell that to HNSQ, not me.
no, I'm telling you because YOU chose to believe that instead of utilizing common sense or reaching out to people who might actually work at firms in your industry.

Quote:
Why do you say that?
plenty of posters have given you various bits of advice for quite some time now. You routinely dismiss them for whatever reason...but for some reason you chose to put stock in that particular post. Funny how that works...

Old 03-26-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Why do you call them excuses? Why do you have such a problem with the fact that I choose not to work in NYC?
Your life choices are of no concern to me or anyone else. The (many) false assumptions you use to validate your choices are what people take issue with.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:30 AM

8,697 posts, read 11,089,464 times
Quote:
That's fine if you are in a field that pays enough to afford to live close to or in Manhattan.
that is why your advice is not sound

oh yes, I do my own lawn as well. I clean my own gutters. I plow my own snow.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:51 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,891,370 times
Quote:
Why do you say that? By working on Long Island, I have a better quality of life, so I do not consider that to be "failing to do as well or better". I could get a job in NYC if I want to, but I choose not to. What does "entitlement" have to do with anything? You're just using meaningless clichéd buzzwords when you know you don't have a valid point.
You have told your tales here and most have come to the conclusion that you are not able to afford what your parents had. That tells me your are not as successful as your dad. Its not your all your fault. Those are big shoes to fill. Be happy with what you have been able to afford and hopefully you can achieve that dream of raising a family in a top school district like you were on day. Just be aware studies show that middle age parents are greater candidates to produce children with disabilities and you are approaching that time quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island