Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 08:15 PM

7 posts, read 17,027 times

Advertisements

We're looking for an acre or more on a quiet street, with lots of trees, green, etc., in a solid school district. Not super easy to find on LI evidently. The sentiment has been shared with us that Greenlawn may not be as desirable as it once was, despite that it is within the Harborfields district. I'd like to drill down on this if possible. Anyone have any thoughts, familiarity? Centerport seems well-regarded, but we're not finding many housing options there that suit our interests and budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 08:32 PM

883 posts, read 3,720,188 times
There aren't a lot of properties in Greenlawn over an acre- most are much smaller properties. I don't think the perception of Greenlawn has changed- Centerport has always been a more desirable area. For the same price, I think many people would choose a smaller property in Centerport over a larger one in Greenlawn.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:50 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
As a resident in the HF district, I'd take an acre in Greenlawn/Huntington over a small plot in Centerport. I would look in Huntington off of Old Field and in Greenlawn near Arbutus. And I wouldn't necessarily forgo an acre in Greenlawn for an acre in Centerport.

In my opinion, Greenlawn is an undiscovered gem, especially the town and the properties north of Pulaski/surrounding Broadway.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:48 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Centerport is closer to the water/beach than Greenlawn, which is a big draw for many people.

There are several houses with an acre of property available in the Huntington/Greenlawn area (not all have fully usable backyards); it partly depends on your budget and how move-in you want the house to be. One house in that area was just reduced to $499k - but it has some challenges which will require a substantial chunk of $$ to update it.
Having said that, there are a number of buyers out there ready to pounce on a nice, updated house under a million in that same area...

Old 03-28-2014, 04:41 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
As a resident in the HF district, I'd take an acre in Greenlawn/Huntington over a small plot in Centerport. I would look in Huntington off of Old Field and in Greenlawn near Arbutus. And I wouldn't necessarily forgo an acre in Greenlawn for an acre in Centerport.

In my opinion, Greenlawn is an undiscovered gem, especially the town and the properties north of Pulaski/surrounding Broadway.
I agree. My best friend lives in Greenlawn, has for 20 years and believe me could afford to buy outright any property she wanted in a neighboring town. It's in a great spot too as it's close enough to all the surrounding towns and what they offer but also has its own charm.

I agree if you want a larger property look in the Old Field section.

As far as schools it is literally beyond my comprehension how people make themselves crazy over a 2 percent difference in test scores, which is one day of testing in an entire school year. And that's not LI-specific, trust me.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Centerport is closer to the water/beach than Greenlawn, which is a big draw for many people.

There are several houses with an acre of property available in the Huntington/Greenlawn area (not all have fully usable backyards); it partly depends on your budget and how move-in you want the house to be. One house in that area was just reduced to $499k - but it has some challenges which will require a substantial chunk of $$ to update it.
Having said that, there are a number of buyers out there ready to pounce on a nice, updated house under a million in that same area...
When I was looking in Greenlawn several months ago I found that acre++ properties were very limited- maybe a half dozen or so in decent condition. I was surprised- I thought there would be a better selection.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:37 AM

721 posts, read 1,567,163 times
I live in Greenlawn. I'm not sure where there are properties that are an acre+. I know there are some in the section over by Stony Hollow and south of Pulaski but I think those are zoned for Elwood. I second the idea of checking Huntington zoned for HF and the area by the middle school.
I can't tell you if a place is charming or not. Wait a few weeks and then go check it out and see. I have a flat 1/2 acre and I wish my yard was smaller! Sandy took down some of the trees but we still have plenty of trees and leaves. Last night my kids played outside with the kids next door for hours. For me, that beats a water view. But everyone has their own priorities.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:20 PM

5,056 posts, read 3,957,808 times
Both the folks in Centerport and the folks in Greenlawn seem very happy where they are living and I know quite a few. Great school district that combines the Harbor (Centerport) and the fields (Greenlawn). All depends on personal preference but if you have a flat acre as a 'must have' you may not find it and may have to look elsewhere.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Both the folks in Centerport and the folks in Greenlawn seem very happy where they are living and I know quite a few. Great school district that combines the Harbor (Centerport) and the fields (Greenlawn). All depends on personal preference but if you have a flat acre as a 'must have' you may not find it and may have to look elsewhere.
Do you feel like the Centerport people have some snobbishness towards the non-Centerport people? I definitely got that vibe when I was looking. A lot of the moms in my son's school live in Centerport & when I mentioned that one of my favorite HF neighborhoods was the Longacre area, I was basically told that I didn't want that neighborhood; that if I was going to be in HF, then Centerport was the place to be. I'm sure those who live in Greenlawn/Huntington are very happy with their choice- but I wonder if they feel any of what I felt from the Centerport moms?

Old 03-28-2014, 05:23 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
Do you feel like the Centerport people have some snobbishness towards the non-Centerport people? I definitely got that vibe when I was looking. A lot of the moms in my son's school live in Centerport & when I mentioned that one of my favorite HF neighborhoods was the Longacre area, I was basically told that I didn't want that neighborhood; that if I was going to be in HF, then Centerport was the place to be. I'm sure those who live in Greenlawn/Huntington are very happy with their choice- but I wonder if they feel any of what I felt from the Centerport moms?
We "non-Centerport moms" have a name for a certain group of Centerport moms. BUT I've found that it's a mix. I know both snobs AND wonderful, down to earth folks in all the towns.

As a Huntington resident in HF, I'd only trade my location for waterfront on an acre or more and where the other homes are on similarly sized properties.

Last edited by TheImportersWife; 03-28-2014 at 05:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island