Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 02:08 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,908,517 times

Advertisements

I just realized there are 2 concurrent threads for this one as well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 02:22 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,340,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shera11375 View Post
He's a first generation african immigrant, not the same as "african american". I think he'd be insulted to be grouped into that bunch.
Why should he be insulted? If he was born here, he is indeed an American and he is of African descent, so he is an African American. As for the bit I bolded, I do not buy into that nonsense that "American blacks are no good compared to foreign blacks." I find that offensive and untrue. I believe in judging people as individuals.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:42 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,073,560 times
Spoken just like a true Long Islander who never took a walk down Mother Gaston Blvd looking to judge every person as an individual.

Going to rename you Naïve in Nassau.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:17 PM

38 posts, read 51,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
A Black kid getting into the Ivies is not newsworthy. Wealthy African and Caribbean families (heads of state and businessmen) send their children to Ivy League schools. You also have US born Black people who are either African American or of Caribbean, African, or Latin descent at Ivies. It's not newsworthy because it's NOT RARE. This particularly guy ONLY made the news because he got accepted into all 8 Ivies, and Stanford and a few other top schools. That's newsworthy of any race.

Ita
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I think this guy should get major congrats. His parents are immigrants, work hard, instill on their child a hard work ethic.

I hope my kids will do as well.
I wish the same for my kids too

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Why should he be insulted? If he was born here, he is indeed an American and he is of African descent, so he is an African American. As for the bit I bolded, I do not buy into that nonsense that "American blacks are no good compared to foreign blacks." I find that offensive and untrue. I believe in judging people as individuals.
this is divisive bs

Old 04-04-2014, 04:18 PM

60 posts, read 121,784 times
Quote:
He wasn't born here. And more often than not Africans that immigrate here are much more educated than African Americans. When they are accepted into this country, just as many Asians, the country accepts educated and more wealthy applicants readily.

Last edited by ♦♣♠; 04-04-2014 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: Didn't complete my comment

Old 04-04-2014, 04:23 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,015,841 times
Quote:
Well, there's another angle.

This kid has directly family ties to Ghana. I don't know what or how this guy identifies as, but if he calls himself Ghanian American or an American of Ghanian descent I could completely understand why. He may be very proud of his heritage. I also believe in judging people as individuals. But a part of judging people as individuals is to recognize there are differences. This particular individual has no reason to identify himself as African American.

I am an American of African descent, but I would not call myself African American either. I know the specific ethnic groups/countries I'm descended from in Africa, and I also have European (I know the specific ethnic groups there too) and Indian/Pakistani descent. I often get asked by people from Nigeria and Mali if I'm from there (they are big parts of my ancestry) and I often get asked by people from the Dominican Republic, Brazil, Trinidad, etc if I'm from there (my ethnic background is similar to people in this countries).

Old 04-04-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♦♣♠ View Post
He wasn't born here. And more often than not Africans that immigrate here are much more educated than African Americans. When they are accepted into this country, just as many Asians, the country accepts educated and more wealthy applicants readily.
Oh, really, on your say so? According to all news sources he is a first-generation American, born of parents who immigrated here. Since his parents immigrated here in the 1980s and this is 2014, how was he NOT born here? Can you do the math as per his age? Also, they live in a working class neighborhood of Long Island, not a wealthy neighborhood so are not now "wealthy people" so how were they that when they immigrated (another of your supposed facts)? His parents are nurses, so they do have an education, be it AAS or BS, but you do not have to be "highly educated" (another of your supposed facts) to be a nurse since a 2 year community college degree does it and they may not have had their nursing educations yet when they immigrated (another of your supposed facts).

Kwasi Enin goes 8 for 8 in Ivy League college admissions - CNN.com

Quote:
His parents, who immigrated from Ghana in the late 1980s, are both nurses and pushed Enin to receive the highest grades possible and follow his dreams.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NimaSaleh View Post
Ita

I wish the same for my kids too

this is divisive bs
What? I think it's divisive to judge black people from one area (Africa) as automatically "better" than those from another (USA). ***smh*** It's sad what people do and what judgments they make on others that they don't even know. Now that is divisive.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Well, there's another angle.

This kid has directly family ties to Ghana. I don't know what or how this guy identifies as, but if he calls himself Ghanian American or an American of Ghanian descent I could completely understand why. He may be very proud of his heritage. I also believe in judging people as individuals. But a part of judging people as individuals is to recognize there are differences. This particular individual has no reason to identify himself as African American.

I am an American of African descent, but I would not call myself African American either. I know the specific ethnic groups/countries I'm descended from in Africa, and I also have European (I know the specific ethnic groups there too) and Indian/Pakistani descent. I often get asked by people from Nigeria and Mali if I'm from there (they are big parts of my ancestry) and I often get asked by people from the Dominican Republic, Brazil, Trinidad, etc if I'm from there (my ethnic background is similar to people in this countries).
I was speaking on a strictly technical angle ... he's African and born in America so technically that's what he is ... but, yes, I can definitely see how he would identify much more as a Ghanian American.

I know that there are many black people born in America who don't know all the specific details of their ancestry and "African American" is a catchall phrase. You have a multi-continent ethnic background that you know about so I see why it isn't accurate for you. These days is there a better term than African American that people would prefer?

Old 04-04-2014, 06:39 PM

239 posts, read 414,341 times
My goodness, how many of your posts are contrived.

Bask in the sunshine of the OP; this kind of achievement is particularly special.

Recent Master grad, and it was a lot of work. So I know the demands of school.

To be accepted in that many schools is a great honor.

Correction:

Summa *** Laude - the greatest of honors.

oh my they left out the word "***" - the site forfeited the Latin term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island