Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 08:32 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
top 2% is nothing for the top 3....namely Harvard, Yale & Princeton....now in Shirley LI...its even not as great school district. Rank #11 is pretty low to get accepted to the school listed above. His SAT isn't very high for the top 3 Ivys. If race wasn't a factor, he is def qualified for the rest of the IVYs just judging his rank & SAT.
Harvard University Admissions: SAT Scores, Financial Aid & More

That link has the cutoff at around 2120 based on their 2012 admissions, this kid got a 2250

This report had the average at 2237,

http://features.thecrimson.com/2013/...dmissions.html

Just admit you were wrong about SAT. For someone like him SAT score is very important since he went to what is considered an average school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 08:58 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,654,092 times
Wow. His chance to Ivy is much HIGHER than any Asian student from Stuyvesant High School.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:31 AM

898 posts, read 1,219,012 times
it would be funny if kids entering these colleges would take women's studies or history as their major. oh wait. they do. and then they have a 200k loan to pay back in what would have cost a dollar fifty in late fees at the public library. ivy or not, math is math and science is science. if you play your cards well, a kid from community college can score great internships if he or she has talent. the ivy brand name definitely matters as networking will help but not at the cost of that tuition. if you are great, you will eventually be great regardless. your hard work and talent will show through at some point. luck and choices do factor in and i suppose kids are willing to pay 200k for the networking foundation they will lay for their futures.

also, if i am white and born in a country in africa, am i african american? and this kid was not born in africa. he is generations removed from that continent. why don't they just call him black in the media? i don't get it.

let me tell you guys a story. i went to grad. school (barf. i studied a ******** (translation: garbage) major) with a black girl who told her friend a story. she applied to harvard with her counselor in high school and was accepted. she instead chose howard university (a university for mostly blacks) over harvard. she told us that her guidance counselor was furious for rejecting harvard. needless to say, her choices landed her with me in a classroom. and i am not qualified to attend harvard (too lazy to study mounds of definitions and stuff i have no interest in just to get in). imo, she did herself a huge disservice by not going to harvard. even without scholarships, a 200k loan is well worth it if you enter a lucrative major, especially if you are talented in law or finance or medicine.

on the flipside, if blacks had nuclear families and less glamorization of gang culture, i know they would do well in school. my nephew had a friend in high school just last year who was very smart (a black kid) and scored well on the specialized high school placement exam but was kicked out of brooklyn tech high school (the school where deblasio's son goes) because of his behavior. the kid had no father. he instead ended up in a really bad/dangerous school and that was fine with him because that was "normal." for me, his future was severely harmed if not ruined. all because of lack of guidance. nothing to do with ability.

Last edited by Hairy Guy; 04-02-2014 at 09:44 AM..

Old 04-02-2014, 09:34 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,134 times
Wonder if he is concerned about how hip hop is doing in NYC?

Old 04-02-2014, 09:35 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,412,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
it would be funny if kids entering these colleges would take women's studies or history as their major. oh wait. they do. and then they have a 200k loan to pay back in what would have cost a dollar fifty in late fees at the public library. ivy or not, math is math and science is science. if you play your cards well, a kid from community college can score great internships if he or she has talent. the ivy brand name definitely matters as networking will help but not at the cost of that tuition. if you are great, you will eventually be great regardless. your hard work and talent will show through at some point. luck and choices do factor in and i suppose kids are willing to pay 200k for the networking foundation they will lay for their futures.

also, if i am white and born in a country in africa, am i african american? and this kid was not born in africa. he is generations removed from that continent. why don't they just call him black in the media? i don't get it.
Agreed, and I figured he was a first generation of African immigrants.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:36 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post

His family are immigrants from Ghana.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:38 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
top 2% is nothing for the top 3....namely Harvard, Yale & Princeton....now in Shirley LI...its even not as great school district. Rank #11 is pretty low to get accepted to the school listed above. His SAT isn't very high for the top 3 Ivys. If race wasn't a factor, he is def qualified for the rest of the IVYs just judging his rank & SAT.
He's qualified enough, but those schools get lots of qualified applicants. It becomes down to nearly random luck whether the school will accept, it's rather unusual for all of the Ivies to have accepted him. Still, why apply to eight Ivies? A waste of application fees.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:46 AM

898 posts, read 1,219,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Wonder if he is concerned about how hip hop is doing in NYC?
could be, but not enough to derail his goal. anyone can enjoy gangsta rap but that's all it is. a passing pleasure, not a lifestyle. this kid had excellent role models in his parents and great guidance and of course he made good choices. you can still mess up even with good surroundings.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:41 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
and this is because of GOOD PARENTING.
his parents guided him and look where he is today.

more parents should be like this.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:04 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,084,011 times
NY post said his essay was the key reason for his acceptance. Good essay

[scribd]215907419[/scribd]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island