Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 10:18 AM

216 posts, read 446,079 times

Advertisements

Please do not trap and dump, it is illegal and inhumane. Many town shelters work with animal rescue groups that will spay/neuter, try to get the cats/kittens adopted if they are not feral. I suggest they contact their local town shelter for advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 11:38 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
I just spoke with the homeowner (victim) to discuss some of the suggestions from this thread. I overstated the amount of cats. There is approximately 8-10. Some are kittens. He doesn't want to be mean to a crazy old cat lady but, it has come time to do something. He has 3 kids and the youngest (15mnths) came up to his mom covered in feces this weekend. Its no longer about controlling the population but, eliminating them from his property.
I have two ideas for your friend. One is to make his property cat unfriendly by following the advice from this website:

How to Deter Cats - Alley Cat Allies

There are specific Q&A about how to deal with the situation, such as "Cats are digging in my garden," "Cats are lounging in my yard or on my porch," etc. that discuss how to deter neighbor cats from bothering you.

Another thing would be to google "cat proof fence." There are a lot of products on the market on how to make your fence impossible for cats to get in/out, plus DIY solutions people have made and put the plans on the internet. Telling the neighbors with these cats about cat proof fencing to keep cats in their yard is also a good idea and would solve the problem for the neighborhood at large.

PS: It is not a good sign if there are kittens. Like other people said, there are Towns that offer free neutering for trap and release feral cats. This neighbor with the cats should be made aware of this and asked to take advantage of the programs available. What area is this house in?

Old 04-15-2014, 09:36 PM

734 posts, read 1,636,616 times
I detest people that do something as inhumane as trapping and dumping somewhere. My sister-in-law had a cat for many years that I had rescued and bottle fed. A nasty neighbor took the cat when she was over 10 years old and dumped her somewhere. She was seldom out and never caused any problems. What do you think could have happened to her? It's sickening to think.
People love the animals they care for and they take a lot of time and spend a lot of money on them. If you think it is funny and you laugh in their faces, then there is a special place in he!! for you!
Picture yourself being dropped somewhere, not knowing anything about the area, no food or shelter available, starving, cold and frightened. It's all about empathy and responsibility, folks! Some people just don't get it.
Put a little effort into humane solutions. Maybe you will be able to sleep at night.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:09 AM

172 posts, read 719,032 times
dept of mental health and hygiene worked for my friends mom in queens. not sure about LI. they came out and gave a couple of fines to the "owner" of the cats everytime she called and they gave the cats up to aspca in about a month. i believe the fines range from 500-2000. its a health hazard to be breathing in cat pee and poop. best of luck.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:49 AM

50 posts, read 102,378 times
We have the same problem and we are running out of options.

There are several cats that hang around the house next door. I once counted a total of 23.

The woman in the house leaves bowls of food in their yard, which attracts every cat in the area.

It's gotten to the point where we can't use our backyard anymore because we have at least 6 cats using it as a litterbox everday. We've tried to many things to try and keep them from using the yard. We've tried scarecrow sprinklers, sticking plastic forks in the ground, chicken wire on the ground, waterguns, putting plastic netting along the top of the fence, etc. Nothing has worked. They just figure out a way around those things. It's to the point where we can't let our own two little dogs in the yard because it's so unsanitary out there.

The food also attracts raccoons to the area and we've had to chain our garbage cans and buy special mint garbage bags just to try and keep them (and the cats) from ripping open the garbage in the middle of the night.

In the summer heat the smell of cat pee and cat waste is so bad that we can't open our windows anymore.
It's also stressful because my spouse is allergic to the smell of cat pee/waste if it's a strong enough concentration, so that always worries me.

Another neighbor has been in the house and said he won't go into their basement anymore because his ankles were covered in fleas.

We've tried talking to her but she just gets defensive and uncooperative. She claims the cats don't belong to her, yet she feeds them, calls many of them by name (along with her husband and adult daughter who also live there). I've also seen them sitting in her kitchen window at night, and many times I've seen her letting them in and out of her front door. She says that if anyone in the neighborhood tries to trap them and bring them to a shelter, she will "prosecute" that person.

Someone had tried to help the situation by giving the neighbor traps to use so the cats could be spayed/neutered. It worked for a few of the cats but then the neighbor was no longer cooperative and the person gave up out of frustration.

Every summer 4 to 6 new cats are added. The woman takes care of them in her house at first but once they are no longer little kittens she kicks them out to fend for themselves.

We try talking to the local village and they've gone over there a few times but the woman just talks her way out of it.

We tried calling the spca and they referred us to the health department. So the health department told her that she cannot leave bowls of food outside 24/7 as it attracts other animals. They also said that if she's feeding them on her property, then she needs to take care of them/have them vaccinated, etc. When that happened, she just took the bowls of food off the front porch and hid them in the backyard so they couldn't be seen from the street.

So for 2 years we've been dealing with this stressful situation that doesn't seem to have a solution and is only getting worse.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:20 AM

133 posts, read 283,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
There is probably some obscure law especially if it's enough of a nuisance to be bugging your friends.
Is that how laws are passed? If something bugs enough friends it becomes illegal through an obscure law?

Old 04-16-2014, 02:34 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J5K5LY View Post
I detest people that do something as inhumane as trapping and dumping somewhere. My sister-in-law had a cat for many years that I had rescued and bottle fed. A nasty neighbor took the cat when she was over 10 years old and dumped her somewhere. She was seldom out and never caused any problems. What do you think could have happened to her? It's sickening to think.
People love the animals they care for and they take a lot of time and spend a lot of money on them. If you think it is funny and you laugh in their faces, then there is a special place in he!! for you!
Picture yourself being dropped somewhere, not knowing anything about the area, no food or shelter available, starving, cold and frightened. It's all about empathy and responsibility, folks! Some people just don't get it.
Put a little effort into humane solutions. Maybe you will be able to sleep at night.
I agree. There's a special place in Hell for people who do this to helpless animals. Your sister-in-law is "nice" compared to me. If someone did this to my cat, I would have made them take me to the "dump site" to look for my cat and also would never forgive them and make their lives a complete and total Hell on earth until they finally have no choice but to move. That's no empty promise, I am quite creative when it comes to dealing with people who have wronged me. This is also why my cats are indoors only and I don't let them outside. Because of evil people like this thinking they can get away with anything.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:28 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,890,632 times
Why do people have outdoor cats? If you truly cared for your pets you would make sure they were safe all the time. I cant count the amount of times ive seen cats smushed into the asphalt.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:40 AM

145 posts, read 227,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Why do people have outdoor cats? If you truly cared for your pets you would make sure they were safe all the time. I cant count the amount of times ive seen cats smushed into the asphalt.
I know . Some people think it's cruel to strictly have your kids inside. Personally, I think it's cruel to let them out, since they're exposed to so much that can hurt them.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:49 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,890,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlover84 View Post
I know . Some people think it's cruel to strictly have your kids inside. Personally, I think it's cruel to let them out, since they're exposed to so much that can hurt them.
It is cruel to keep your kids in all the time. Cats cant be contained outdoors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: