Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2014, 09:52 PM

4 posts, read 9,251 times

Advertisements

Living on Long Island in a decent school district but we are considering selling and moving to 3VSD. Taxes and home prices are comparable to where we are living now. Our two school aged kids tested as gifted and so that is one of the factors, along with liking the area, the programs at the high school level, etc. Before we make this move, I would love to hear more thoughts about the schools.

What is the current status of the IG program (will it be moved to home schools? operated at one school? continued or eliminated?)? If a child has an IQ well into the gifted range, do they usually do well on the tests used to determine IG admission? Prior to 4th grade, do the teachers differentiate in the classroom or for homework assignments? How do the IG kids integrate into their junior high schools? Are they usually supportive of one another?

How is the music program? Is there a decent amount of science in the elementary schools or is the focus all on math / ELA test prep?

Socially, is it a welcoming environment for the elementary kids? How about as they go through the teen years? Do a lot of kids move into the district and are they generally welcomed? I know that Latin and Mandarin were cut at the high school level fairly recently--any more significant academic cuts looming on the horizon? Thoughts about the different elementary schools and neighborhoods?

Any insights much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 06:31 AM

Also wondering about the Kindergarten program--is it a lot of desk work or is there a lot of physical activity, art, play, etc.?

Old 04-23-2014, 07:50 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
I've been in the district since 1996 with 1 child all the way through, the other finishing 9th. I'll will try to answer your questions.

IG has been in Mount since I've been here. There's one class for each IG grade level -- dividing it among the home schools would be a disservice to the children. If you haven't read this, it might give you some idea as to how children are selected for IG: Three Village Central School District

There is an enrichment program, Pi, for those who haven't made the IG cut. Pi is based out of the student's home school. Children are pulled out during the day. Three Village Central School District

My suggestion for more detailed questions and answers would be to contact one of the moms at 3VSAGE as they will provide you with significant insight: 3VSAGE | Three Village Schools: Advocates for Gifted Education | Wix.com

IG kids have an advantage and disadvantage once they arrive at one of the junior highs: given that some of these students are off-the-charts intelligent leaving them socially awkward, they have a built in support system of IG peers who understand them. They're also moving along in honors or AP classes with some of their Pi friends from their home schools. They're not in a bubble, not isolated, and because of other interests such as music, sports, and the Science Olympiad (Gelinas #1 in NYS this year) many fit in just fine and tend to gravitate to fellow students who like challenges.

With respect to elementary level work -- my youngest is several years removed, so my information is dated. My experience was that the children were given reading materials appropriate to a child's individual level. Writing was also developed at the individual child's pace. After my youngest moved up to junior high, the school brought in lattice math. I do not know whether or not this is still being taught, or if it is a casualty of Common Core transitioning. The elementary schools have science labs, the ones in Setauket were all redone in 2010(?) -- it was fairly recent. I can't honestly answer your K questions as it has been too long. All I can say is there was a lot of hands on work. Overall, I felt the children throughout the elementary did not get as much physical movement type activity as they should have. I was not alone in that opinion.

Many students participate in the music program and quite a number of students go on to NYSMMA. Children start with recorder lessons in 3th grade and move on to other instruments in 4th (if they haven't already begun an instrument at home.) I have been pleased with the music program; both of my children selected brass instruments. There are some wonderful music courses at the HS level; my oldest's former girlfriend was taking composing and some other very interesting advanced level courses in preparation for her studies in music therapy. My oldest was involved in concert band, jazz band, and marching band which in the last couple of years (too late for him) has begun morphing into a competitive, choreographed team. (Trivia: Oscar-nominated composer Marco Beltrami graduated WMHS)

Being that the university is an ever present entity, there are a fair number of families that move to the area for employment and into the district. This results in a good number of bright students from well-educated families. There is a good amount of healthy competition, but during science fair nights one can tell whose parents are SBU research scientists. One additional positive that the movement of SBU connected residents into the community brings is that many people are from somewhere else -- it's not a vacuum consisting solely of Long Islanders. Our children have made friends with children from all over the US and the world. This results in a friendly environment at the elementary level.

Once hormones kick in heading into JHS, it's a different animal. Social groups and cliques have formed, but there are always students who will take a new student under their wing. A few friends have opted to send their children to St Anthony's, Knox, and Stony Brook School as opposed to attended one of the junior highs and WM. My observation is it is more of either a religious component, sports, a child's behavioral problem, or having the money to send a child to a small, private school.

Last year's budget cuts were painful. Aside from Latin and Mandarin, we also lost German and ASL, which my youngest wanted to take. The theater course at the JHS level were dropped and turned into a club. Students fought to preserve Student Government. I believe a few AP courses were dropped -- ones which historically did not fill a classroom. We did lose some dynamic young teachers, which was a complete shame. This year's budget hasn't raised the fuss last year's did and the troops haven't had to rally to save one program or another.

As for thoughts on neighborhoods, please send me a direct message.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
IG has been in Mount since I've been here. There's one class for each IG grade level -- dividing it among the home schools would be a disservice to the children. If you haven't read this, it might give you some idea as to how children are selected for IG: Three Village Central School District

There is an enrichment program, Pi, for those who haven't made the IG cut. Pi is based out of the student's home school. Children are pulled out during the day. Three Village Central School District
Thanks! I was wondering about the possible changes to the IG program because it sounds like last year they were considering phasing out Pi and possibly moving the new IG kids to home schools: School District Looks to Compromise on Gifted Program Changes - Schools - Three Village, NY Patch

We've done about all the research we can do on the web so I'm hoping to get some info from people in the district.

I will see if the 3VSAGE can give me any more information about possible program changes and will message you now about information.

Thank you!

Old 04-23-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calin77 View Post
Thanks! I was wondering about the possible changes to the IG program because it sounds like last year they were considering phasing out Pi and possibly moving the new IG kids to home schools: School District Looks to Compromise on Gifted Program Changes - Schools - Three Village, NY Patch

We've done about all the research we can do on the web so I'm hoping to get some info from people in the district.

I will see if the 3VSAGE can give me any more information about possible program changes and will message you now about information.

Thank you!
There's a local moms group to whom I will put out the IG/Pi question. I'll let you know once I hear anything of substance.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:49 AM

This is what I've heard back thusfar: "..... is in 4th Grade IG and I think it was agreed they are keeping IG at Mount and made changes to the Pi program..."

Old 04-26-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
This is what I've heard back thusfar: "..... is in 4th Grade IG and I think it was agreed they are keeping IG at Mount and made changes to the Pi program..."
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island