Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 05:59 AM

19,277 posts, read 17,147,017 times

Advertisements

/\

You've probally given the best middle class perspective I have seen in a long time. Not that I agree with every point but the conveyed frustration is shared.....

I'd rep you if I could
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 06:03 AM

5,300 posts, read 4,784,862 times
And here is another joke of a lawsuit trying to force other areas to do the same thing:

Group files federal housing discrimination complaint against Nassau - Newsday

Old 04-29-2014, 07:10 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,755,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pholtor View Post
This is a GREAT practice. In an ideal country of people with the same CULTURE there should NEVER be community segregation on the basis of skin color and hair texture. Stirring up economically displaced residents will force covered up realities to be seen across the Island's economic spectrum. The truth lies in the fact that if you look at as if an eyesore the quality of life of the economically repressed, then maybe we as a species need to wake up. We can't allow in a republic such as ours "economic enclaves" of where things so shallow as skin tone and age old inheritance is used as passage into or barriers out from.

Eventually on Long Island the institutionalized and segregated community stronghold on who is allowed where on the basis of who their parents were is going to END. This court decision IS NOT about racially discriminatory welfare. It's about finally ending the climate which allowed such heinous segregation to occur in the first place. In our supposed nation of civil liberties a supposed republic that sees all as equals, it's SO PATHETIC that some of you treat your fellow Americans WORSE than foreigners.

Yeah because you can totally generalize what every individual thinks and be accurate and COMPLETELY state that all "people of color" are economically repressed. This legislation isn't about welfare for colored people. It's about ending what allows for Long Island to be one of the most hate baited parts of our nation. This place that over 3 million call home tragically chews up and spits out its own residents.
Since when does opposing affordable housing equate segregation? Are there no poor whites on Long Island?

Old 04-29-2014, 09:14 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,335,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
And here is another joke of a lawsuit trying to force other areas to do the same thing:

Group files federal housing discrimination complaint against Nassau - Newsday
I read the article. Their main complaint is TRUE. On Long Island, "affordable housing" that is not age restricted is always placed in troubled or communities where whites are a minority due to a supposed lack of space in white communities. Yet there is always room for senior housing in white communities and they don't tend to build senior housing in minority communities.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:16 AM

519 posts, read 598,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I read the article. Their main complaint is TRUE. On Long Island, "affordable housing" that is not age restricted is always placed in troubled or communities where whites are a minority due to a supposed lack of space in white communities.
Not true. affordable housing is built where it makes sense. These areas happen to also be minority dominated areas.

Quote:
Yet there is always room for senior housing in white communities and they don't tend to build senior housing in minority communities.
also not true Nassau County, Long Island New York

Old 04-29-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
Not true. affordable housing is built where it makes sense. These areas happen to also be minority dominated areas.
Do they? Here's only one example: how come the huge Knolls complexes are in East Meadow, ability to buy there is based on a maximum income with subsidized maintenance (tax abatement) and the prices of the units are permanently set as affordable (NO BIG PROFITS CAN BE MADE WHEN SELLING) ... and it is only for seniors? East Meadow is not minority dominated. Yet there are NO affordable housing developments for all ages in East Meadow. Funny how that shouldn't make sense, yet acres and acres were used up in East Meadow for the "affordable" senior housing at Knolls I, II, III and IV.

Quote:
Nice try, but those are rentals and the complexes are old as the hills. What the lawsuit is about is mostly housing units people are able to BUY and housing units that are much more recently built. I notice you only cited "OTHER Senior Citizen Housing" and conveniently skipped over the Golden Age developments for seniors, although they were definitely mentioned on the site you linked to. These are the Golden Age Zoning Housing Developments and they are run by the Towns.

Here's the lineup for the Town of Hempstead:

Golden Age Housing - ToH

All the above is SENIORS ONLY "affordable housing" that is income dependent on whether you are allowed to BUY and nothing is in a blighted area of the TOH, and almost all are in HIGHLY majority white areas, except the ones in Baldwin and N. Valley Stream, both of which are still technically majority white, but a lower proportion and more mixed.

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 04-29-2014 at 10:57 AM..

Old 04-29-2014, 10:56 AM

69 posts, read 90,114 times
i don't think anyone should be tax abated or subsidized and should make decisions and live the best they can based on what they can afford without government intervention or interference, but if you have to justify any of this type of over-development at least you have an argument for senior housing. It does not allow children, which on LI cost 24k per kid per year for school thanks to our crony based system of education. if you subsidize more housing that allows families, the rate of explosion in taxes for the rest of us would be crushing (forget about how bad it has gotten so far).

Last edited by simonlok; 04-29-2014 at 11:08 AM..

Old 04-29-2014, 11:09 AM

519 posts, read 598,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Do they? Here's only one example: how come the huge Knolls complexes are in East Meadow, ability to buy there is based on a maximum income with subsidized maintenance (tax abatement) and the prices of the units are permanently set as affordable (NO BIG PROFITS CAN BE MADE WHEN SELLING) ... and it is only for seniors? East Meadow is not minority dominated. Yet there are NO affordable housing developments for all ages in East Meadow. Funny how that shouldn't make sense, yet acres and acres were used up in East Meadow for the "affordable" senior housing at Knolls I, II, III and IV.
I don't know why that is. My point is affordable housing is built where its economically feasible- in affordable areas where it makes most sense.

Quote:

Nice try, but those are rentals and the complexes are old as the hills. What the lawsuit is about is mostly housing units people are able to BUY and housing units that are much more recently built. I notice you only cited "OTHER Senior Citizen Housing" and conveniently skipped over the Golden Age developments for seniors, although they were definitely mentioned on the site you linked to. These are the Golden Age Zoning Housing Developments and they are run by the Towns.

Here's the lineup for the Town of Hempstead:

Golden Age Housing - ToH

All the above is SENIORS ONLY "affordable housing" that is income dependent on whether you are allowed to BUY and nothing is in a blighted area of the TOH, and almost all are in HIGHLY majority white areas, except the ones in Baldwin and N. Valley Stream, both of which are still technically majority white, but a lower proportion and more mixed.
I didnt skip them. Google linked me right to other housing. As you can see there are several developments in diverse areas, per your link and mine. These areas are not highly majority white - baldwin, valley stream, north bellmore. East meadow, new cassel, freeport, hempstead, uniondale. There is senior housing in all of these towns.

I just think youre making an issue where one doesn't really exist. Long Island is mostly white towns to begin with.

to try to get back on the topic, I think this ruling against garden city is disgusting. A bunch of elitist ultra left wing liberals with an agenda is all this is.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
I don't know why that is. My point is affordable housing is built where its economically feasible- in affordable areas where it makes most sense.
The affordable housing for seniors as per Golden Age Housing ALWAYS seems to make sense in majority white areas, yet affordable housing for anyone doesn't make sense in majority white areas. That is the difference.

Quote:
I didnt skip them. Google linked me right to other housing. As you can see there are several developments in diverse areas, per your link and mine. These areas are not highly majority white - baldwin, valley stream, north bellmore. East meadow, new cassel, freeport, hempstead, uniondale. There is senior housing in all of these towns.
Those are the areas with the old as the hills rental buildings. THIS is the Golden Age Housing areas in Town of Hempstead:

Seaford, East Meadow, Oceanside, Baldwin, N. Valley Stream, N. Bellmore, N. Merrick, and Levittown. Note NO blighted areas such as New Cassel, Freeport, Hempstead or Uniondale.

Quote:
I just think youre making an issue where one doesn't really exist. Long Island is mostly white towns to begin with.
I'm not making an issue of it ... the lawsuit filed is. I just think they will be able to prove their point in court and that will affect Nassau County taxpayers negatively. I am surprised they didn't file one against Suffolk County, but maybe that is planned.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,013 times
Wow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island