Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 11:58 AM

5,058 posts, read 3,960,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
You tried to play it off like it's some huge number of people in the private sector that have due process rights "just like the teachers do." I challenged you. Again we are not talking about "30 million" out of 114.5 million like you're trying to play off here once again. I was only challenging you about private sector, 8.1 million out of 114.5 million. A tiny minority. And no, I am not "upset" about some people having due process rights, Ms. Sneaky Insults. Like I said before, I wish all workers in the USA had them. However, with the doctrine of At Will Employment, the vast majority do not.

Again, this is the statement I challenged you on:

The 8.1 million are all under collective bargaining and unionized and that's why they have due process. There are no "many other" regular workers (I am NOT counting executives with a contract as you tried to add in and play off before) that have due process "discipline/firings" after only 'just cause' determinations." That's you talking.

Got it. You don't think 8.1 private sector workers plus others with individual contractual guarantees of due process are 'many other people'. Simple enough.

And you definitely don't believe anyone on this thread posted that a majority or even most private sector workers have due process rights. But nevertheless you really want to present and then disprove that non-stated idea in case any non-poster was thinking of posting that or just thinking that or not thinking that and would have posted it anyway. Or you thought someone posted that or even thought of posting that and you now realize you inferred something that really was not there or even thought of by any poster. Got it. An abundance of caution - but you never know what people might think.

And you agree school district personnel are public service workers and public service workers here in the US number at least 20 million and all generally receive due process protections. And you are all for the existing due process for these and other folks. But that is not the primary concern and focus of your last few postings notwithstanding the fact that the thread topic is about public school budgetary passing rates.

And you neither agree nor disagree that any of the aforementioned has anything to do with why the school district budgets passed at a record rate and with record margins throughout Long Island just six days ago. The thread topic.(I assume)

And you are very sensitive to what you label "Mr Sneaky insults" that are nonexistent but nevertheless you somehow feel them along the same lines that you felt or pretended someone posted that a majority of private sector workers receive due process rights.

Now this all makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 12:23 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,317,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Got it. You don't think 8.1 private sector workers plus others with individual contractual guarantees of due process are 'many other people'. Simple enough.

And you definitely don't believe anyone on this thread posted that a majority or even most private sector workers have due process rights. But nevertheless you really want to present and then disprove that non-stated idea in case any non-poster was thinking of posting that or just thinking that or not thinking that and would have posted it anyway. Or you thought someone posted that or even thought of posting that and you now realize you inferred something that really was not there or even thought of by any poster. Got it. An abundance of caution - but you never know what people might think.

And you agree school district personnel are public service workers and public service workers here in the US number at least 20 million and all generally receive due process protections. And you are all for the existing due process for these and other folks. But that is not the primary concern and focus of your last few postings notwithstanding the fact that the thread topic is about public school budgetary passing rates.

And you neither agree nor disagree that any of the aforementioned has anything to do with why the school district budgets passed at a record rate and with record margins throughout Long Island just six days ago. The thread topic.(I assume)

And you are very sensitive to what you label "Mr Sneaky insults" that are nonexistent but nevertheless you somehow feel them along the same lines that you felt or pretended someone posted that a majority of private sector workers receive due process rights.

Now this all makes sense.
Do you write speeches for politicians who talk out of both sides of their mouths besides your full-time job advocating for public sector unions on anonymous message boards? You just keep on pounding out these walls of words meant to obfuscate the subject. You're spending a lot of time on this and definitely too much time for someone who is not intensely personally invested. Too bad the people on LI CD aren't as stupid as you think they are. So keep on blathering. Nobody is impressed with your frantic, long-winded backpedaling.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:06 PM

5,058 posts, read 3,960,939 times
Don't be so hard on yourself for your frustration in failing to find a sufficient answer to your self-invented question on private employment on a public school thread. No need to lash out with more insults.
I think you flung some unfortunate insults already - not a good sign in the self-disagreement you were having about something or other ...but you did quickly recover by reacting to imaginary insults from me by labelling me "Ms. Sneaky Insults". Now that is something not seen everyday here on the CD Forum. Much more memorable than your issues with the private sector or CPAs or whatever on a public school thread. I think I'm done on this thread, I am very afraid of being called Ms. Meanie Pants or something.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:40 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,733,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinnle Corra View Post

The CPA job market is much better than the teaching job market now, so accounting graduates probably don't need to apply to as many jobs as teaching graduates. Accounting firms also tend to recruit graduates right away unlike school districts. Every single accounting major from my college got hired right after graduation.
It is; my young cousin is a fresh, new CPA and was hired on by one of the big 4 national firms. He's grossing less than a new teacher starting out in my district would, and he has to travel around the country, unlike a new teacher. His days are much longer than a teacher's, and his weeks are consumed with work and work related travel. From January until last month, it was as though he fell off the planet he was working mega hours during tax season. And no, unlike teachers who receive stipends for overseeing a school club or coaching, working like a dog through tax season doesn't earn him any additional money over his salary.

His work schedule and travel prevent him from taking on another job, whereas teachers are able to work another job over summer (we had one approach us who asked to be paid cash -- didn't hire him) or who take on lucrative tutoring jobs after school -- again looking to be paid cash for their time.

Unlike a teacher, someday he can go on his own, eschewing any benefits a Big 4 firm would afford him. He will then be funding his own retirement, his own health care, and still be working far more than 180-184 days a year.

Both careers afford teacher and CPA to remain in their positions a long time, which is unfortunate for the young people who wish to become teachers. Seems the older teachers won't allow the young ones space at the table.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Don't be so hard on yourself for your frustration in failing to find a sufficient answer to your self-invented question on private employment on a public school thread. No need to lash out with more insults.
I think you flung some unfortunate insults already - not a good sign in the self-disagreement you were having about something or other ...but you did quickly recover by reacting to imaginary insults from me by labelling me "Ms. Sneaky Insults". Now that is something not seen everyday here on the CD Forum. Much more memorable than your issues with the private sector or CPAs or whatever on a public school thread. I think I'm done on this thread, I am very afraid of being called Ms. Meanie Pants or something.
Sorry you're upset I caught you in a BS statement and you couldn't wriggle out of it. BS artists get called on here. Now write me another thousand paragraphs trying to take the focus off that.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
It is; my young cousin is a fresh, new CPA and was hired on by one of the big 4 national firms. He's grossing less than a new teacher starting out in my district would, and he has to travel around the country, unlike a new teacher. His days are much longer than a teacher's, and his weeks are consumed with work and work related travel. From January until last month, it was as though he fell off the planet he was working mega hours during tax season. And no, unlike teachers who receive stipends for overseeing a school club or coaching, working like a dog through tax season doesn't earn him any additional money over his salary.

His work schedule and travel prevent him from taking on another job, whereas teachers are able to work another job over summer (we had one approach us who asked to be paid cash -- didn't hire him) or who take on lucrative tutoring jobs after school -- again looking to be paid cash for their time.

Unlike a teacher, someday he can go on his own, eschewing any benefits a Big 4 firm would afford him. He will then be funding his own retirement, his own health care, and still be working far more than 180-184 days a year.

Both careers afford teacher and CPA to remain in their positions a long time, which is unfortunate for the young people who wish to become teachers. Seems the older teachers won't allow the young ones space at the table.
Pretty accurate. One of my siblings is a CPA. Has now risen in the ranks to a CFO, but still works long hours and has a tremendous amount of pressure.

Last statement is spot on! The teachers' unions only focus on one thing: SENIORITY. When it's unfortunately time to cut personnel, the old hack everyone knows is a joke of a teacher will always keep their job instead of a harder working and better teacher who hasn't been there as long. Merit means nothing in this system, so why should taxpayers be trapped with it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island