Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2014, 03:11 AM

83 posts, read 169,592 times

Advertisements

After looking for a decent house for months, I'm getting desperate. I hear Malverne has bad schools but see lots of great homes listed within Malverne school district. I have a toddler who will be entering the system in a year or two. How is Malverne really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 03:16 AM

167 posts, read 305,361 times
The town itself is nice. Personally, I would stay away from the schools. The not so nice part of Lakeview feeds into the schools. It's a whole other world back in there. You are much better off in Lynbrook schools.

Old 06-09-2014, 04:49 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,906,538 times
Academic performance&quality-wise, it is a good/ok school district. Definitely not a top school district, but definitely can't be considered a bad one either:

- It's rated 7/10 on greatschools.org: Malverne Union Free School District in Malverne, NY | GreatSchools

- In this thread, somebody ranked LI school districts based on the published graduation rates, AP Participation, (%) going to college and overall performance and it still performs better than a lot of other LI districts: Long Island High School Rankings 2014

Reputation-wise, some consider it questionable only because of the fact that it has a higher-than-average African American(%) (from a neighboring suburb).

So in summary, it pretty much comes down to whether your comfortable or not having your kid in a more diverse environment or not.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 06-09-2014 at 05:13 AM..

Old 06-09-2014, 06:59 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,446,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekinchief View Post
After looking for a decent house for months, I'm getting desperate. I hear Malverne has bad schools but see lots of great homes listed within Malverne school district. I have a toddler who will be entering the system in a year or two. How is Malverne really?

Malverne Elementary schools are good. However, you have to send you kids to Catholic High School so you will either need to spend 8K a year for HS or move. Lots of folks buy their first home there as great value and then just move by time oldest kid is graduating elementary school

Old 06-09-2014, 01:26 PM

659 posts, read 2,516,632 times
I lived in Malverne and almost everyone sends their kids to private school for elementary and high school. People who buy in Malverne budget for private school before they buy. The Lakeview kids go to Malverne, but very few Malverne kids go to Malverne. It is irregardless of race too. African-American families in town also send their kids to private school. It is a great town with high taxes, but the school district is avoided. I would reconsider if you need a public school.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:12 PM

694 posts, read 1,202,968 times
If you are dead set on Malverne, then look for homes in the North Valley Stream SD, there are not many available, a co-worker of mine rented home for several years in Malverne to be part of the NV Stream SD and looking heavily, finally she found the house.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:19 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,406,825 times
I lived in Malverne and I did not go to Malverne schools. I went to VS North HS and James A dever Elementary. I was in the district 13 part of Malverne.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island