Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 09:44 PM

6,381 posts, read 5,501,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
as nasty as this comment is - I agree with it in theory.

If "Yankees" and many other people from all over the US wouldn't have converged on this area, it wouldn't be anything special, nor would it have been ranked "top places to live". So I don't know if people from this area originally should have issues with outsiders, or the companies who brought them here. Without RTP, this area would be a shell of what it is and would likely resemble any other sleepy southern town.
The University of North Carolina was chartered in 1789; Duke University in 1836; and NC State in 1899......Research Triangle Park, named in recognition of and strategically located nearly equidistant between those three major research universities, opened in 1959.

I'm pretty sure that all would have happened regardless of late 20th/early 21st century Long Islanders wanting lower taxes and bigger, newer houses flocking here in droves.

Last edited by TarHeelNick; 06-29-2014 at 09:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 09:19 AM

852 posts, read 969,387 times
I'll say it again: Nothing will ruin a place faster, than a bunch of refugees from the nanny-states.

Compared to NY, taxes in NC may seem cheap, but I'll bet the locals are fuming, because those taxes are probably 10 times what they paid just a few years ago- and didn't start going up exponentially until exNYers started migrating to NC en-mass.

NYers, CAians, Massachooches [ ] et al, never seem to learn.

My next move will be to South America.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:21 PM

6,381 posts, read 5,501,958 times
Floridians are the new New Yorkers. I read a few weeks ago that Florida is now the number one "exporter" of transplants to NC. Many of them are native NYers who moved to Florida but didn't like it so they moved back north but only half way "half backers". But there are also many native Floridians who are moving to NC en masse because they have been priced out and because the crime and schools have gotten worse down there in the past decade.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:24 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,640,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
LOL.. Friend of mine, native to the region said that's how the locals refer to LI transplants that move there. It maybe old, you may have heard it before..but you must admit it's funny!
Heard it from a girl at work who used to live there. Yes, it is very old. I retired in 2006 and she told me about it years before that.

We had some half-backs too.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:28 PM
NCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
The University of North Carolina was chartered in 1789; Duke University in 1836; and NC State in 1899......Research Triangle Park, named in recognition of and strategically located nearly equidistant between those three major research universities, opened in 1959.

I'm pretty sure that all would have happened regardless of late 20th/early 21st century Long Islanders wanting lower taxes and bigger, newer houses flocking here in droves.
Can you believe the arrogance of that poster? We are the best place to live in spite of them rather than because of them.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:34 PM
NCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
I'll say it again: Nothing will ruin a place faster, than a bunch of refugees from the nanny-states.

Compared to NY, taxes in NC may seem cheap, but I'll bet the locals are fuming, because those taxes are probably 10 times what they paid just a few years ago- and didn't start going up exponentially until exNYers started migrating to NC en-mass.

I don't know where they are from but we have some of the most shellfish people in Union County on the face of the earth. Yes, our taxes were going up slowly but this year the migrants have started with the law suits that is just about to ruin our reasonable schools that are some of the best in the state.

Is it one bad apple or one Big Apple will spoil the whole state?

Old 06-30-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I don't know where they are from but we have some of the most shellfish people in Union County on the face of the earth. Yes, our taxes were going up slowly but this year the migrants have started with the law suits that is just about to ruin our reasonable schools that are some of the best in the state.

Is it one bad apple or one Big Apple will spoil the whole state?
I live in fear of that; which is why I refuse to disclose on here where I have migrated to!

Believe it or not, Lawn Guyland was once in the same boat. Back in the 70's and early 80's, taxes were about like anywhere else. Then all the large-scale development started; and immigrants and people from NYC started flooding in...and all of a sudden, the taxes were DOUBLING every year.

It's amazing how fast the whole character and political atmosphere of a place can change.

My cousin moved to NC 30 years ago, before it was "the thing to do". It was like Mayberry. He literally bought an old mansion for $40K, with negligible property taxes, and was the only NYer around. Today, "Mayberry" is indistinguishable from Lawn Guyland; and you're more likely to encounter a nasty NYer or immigrant on the street, than a native.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:55 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,736,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post

No, you've got it wrong. Your so-called "nanny-states" are mostly in the South, where residents seem to need constant help from the Federal Government to keep things running (the same government that many of you like to complain about). For example, for every dollar North Carolinians send to Washington, they get $1.34 back. Here in NY, it's 79 cents. So all of us here up North, including people of all races and colors who some of you Southerners love to hate, spend a good part of their tax dollars to support you and your fellow "takers." Remove that New York money and then see what your taxes would look like.

Oh, and have a nice time in South America.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
No, you've got it wrong. Your so-called "nanny-states" are mostly in the South, where residents seem to need constant help from the Federal Government to keep things running (the same government that many of you like to complain about). For example, for every dollar North Carolinians send to Washington, they get $1.34 back. Here in NY, it's 79 cents. So all of us here up North, including people of all races and colors who some of you Southerners love to hate, spend a good part of their tax dollars to support you and your fellow "takers." Remove that New York money and then see what your taxes would look like.

Oh, and have a nice time in South America.
The fact is, with our [the whole country's] population of nit-wits, who voted not once, but TWICE for a Marxist president, the whole country is turning into one big government-dependent welfare slum. The almighty gov't says that if someone makes less so-much, they are "entitled" to foodstamps and medicaid and all that garbage....so naturally, most people avail themselves of the opportunity to "gimme!"- and since incomes are generally quite low in the South, it wouldn't surprise me if what you say is true- although I would not use NC as an example- as NC, for all intents and purposes is essentially a northern liberal state now.

And at least where I am, I don't have to live amongst the scum. All of my neighbors are self-sufficient- i.e. no gov't jobs/unions/entitlements. They're good old-fashioned "get it done" types who take care of their own. When the economy fully collapses, we'll be just fine.

Meanwhile, here, you don't see empty shopping centers and abandoned gas stations and foreclosed homes, because we still have a locally-based agricultural economy. In the town where I shop, the population is only 12K people- and yet there must be 20 banks in that town! I have never seen so many banks in one small town.

It isn't a north vs. south thing, either- it's a city thing. I'm sure there's as much welfarism in New Orleans as in New York- maybe even more. Anywhere you have these cities- whether it's Memphis; Atlanta or Buffalo or Deroit, you have a large population who are essentially helpless; and they are enabled by a rogue political system which makes it possible for them to procreate prolifically and live their entire lives never having to worry about making a living or practicing birth-control.

And actually, NY can not even support itself. Remove Federal funding from NY, and the subways and LIRR wouldn't even run! I'll never ride one of those trains again- and my neighbors have never been on one of those trains in their lives, and yet we subsidize them. Ditto the federal funds that build and subsidize 80% of the cost of a housing project in Manhattan, so indigents can live in some of the most expensive real estate in the country! If you stopped the Federal funding that NY has become so reliant on, NY would fold literally overnight.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:04 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,847,323 times
[quote=Mumbly Joe;35466976]The fact is, with our [the whole country's] population of nit-wits, who voted not once, but TWICE for a Marxist president, the whole country is turning into one big government-dependent welfare slum. The almighty gov't says that if someone makes less so-much, they are "entitled" to foodstamps and medicaid and all that garbage....so naturally, most people avail themselves of the opportunity to "gimme!"- and since incomes are generally quite low in the South, it wouldn't surprise me if what you say is true- although I would not use NC as an example- as NC, for all intents and purposes is essentially a northern liberal state now.

It isn't a north vs. south thing, either- it's a city thing. I'm sure there's as much welfarism in New Orleans as in New York- maybe even more. Anywhere you have these cities- whether it's Memphis; Atlanta or Buffalo or Deroit, you have a large population who are essentially helpless; and they are enabled by a rogue political system which makes it possible for them to procreate prolifically and live their entire lives never having to worry about making a living or practicing birth-control.

/quote]

If you believe that receiving welfare is an urban phenomenon you are quite wrong. I understand you keep your location top secret, whether because you believe you paint such a desirable picture and fear it will be overrun with LIers moving there or fear for your safety if they do, but it may be enlightening to you, and us, for you to research the balance of payments for your state as opposed to the 21% deficit New York gets back on every federal dollar paid. That figure, incidentally, includes all those transportation expenses you don't ever want to use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island