Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2014, 05:27 AM

8,815 posts, read 21,280,851 times

Advertisements

You know, I was afraid I would need to close this thread , but there were so many wonderful ideas about what to do in case of a strike that I did not want to do that.

I just wanted to thank many of you for your very helpful suggestions in the event of a strike. This is exactly what the Long Island Forum is for & your thoughtful replies show the resilence & caring of Long Islanders . We'll get through this . . . .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-01-2014, 05:34 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
But it is too bad that your employers are so rigid and won't make even simple accommodations. And sad that you and other people working in NYC don't stand up for yourselves, and force everyone into a race to the bottom.
It's too bad ppl like you exist, thats what's too bad.

Working on LI is not the end all be all. A lot of hardworking, smart, talented, good-hearted ppl also work in NYC. Not everyonr can find good paying work on LI, so stop putting us down. You found work on LI, Moderator cut: language removed good for you.

You are not everyone.

Respect goes a long way. You should try it sometime.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
You know, I was afraid I would need to close this thread , but there were so many wonderful ideas about what to do in case of a strike that I did not want to do that.

I just wanted to thank many of you for your very helpful suggestions in the event of a strike. This is exactly what the Long Island Forum is for & your thoughtful replies show the resilence & caring of Long Islanders . We'll get through this . . . .
I think I love you, Nancy

Old 07-01-2014, 12:30 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Quote:
You and other posters were rude to me in the past for no reason other than the fact that you can't accept my decision to work on Long Island rather than the city.
Sorry but that wasn't it all. If you showed any self awareness you'd have figure out a long time ago why people disagreed with many of your statements. Luckily for the LIRR commuters, the strike will likely be a short term inconvenience. As my great grandma used to say, after a hurricane comes a rainbow.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:37 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Although, I can get to work without using the LIE. I can use back roads that most people here have never even heard of (and no, I'm not posting my secrets here). The only reason I don't go that way every day is because if I hit it at the wrong time, I can wait forever at an LIRR grade crossing. But with the strike I won't have that problem! So smooth sailing for me, while the rest of this forum hits the road at 3 AM and gets fired from their job anyway for being 5 minutes late. I'll be the one laughing.

And besides, since I work on Long Island, the company I work for actually gives decent vacation time. So I could use a few days of vacation time if I absolutely could not get to work and still have plenty of time left for a real vacation. Not an option for you people who work in the city and get minimal vacation time. Then again, if you materialistic people use vacation time the way you spend your money, you'd be out of vacation time by now anyway.
Nobody asked for your secrets!

Why does everything have to be all about you? Your driving commute to work in Suffolk County and your vacation time has nothing to do with the LIRR strike. We are trying to have a serious thread here with helpful news and information.

If you like, I too can bore everyone with idiotic diatribes all about my narrow-minded opinions that I barely stay on topic with. Like this:

I think the charming red and yellow Neighborhood Trolley that used to take us to the idyllic Neighborhood of Make Believe in Mr. Roger's Neighborhood was way better than taking the ugly and nasty LIRR to NYC! So, I suggest all you people out there just get on the Neighborhood Trolley on the days the LIRR is on strike! You will have a much better time in the Neighborhood of Make Believe than in NYC anyway! Problem solved!

Old 07-01-2014, 06:50 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,728,677 times
Has there been any news on the strike? Last I heard, it may start on 7/20 if an agreement isn't reached. I don't like watching the news (too much negativity) and I don't buy the newspaper.

If you guys can post any news about the strike, I'd appreciate it!

Old 07-01-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Has there been any news on the strike? Last I heard, it may start on 7/20 if an agreement isn't reached. I don't like watching the news (too much negativity) and I don't buy the newspaper.

If you guys can post any news about the strike, I'd appreciate it!
7/20 is the date. LIRR employees have the ok to walk off the job on 7/19. I am hearing it should only be 2 days or so. The good news is 7/20 is a Sunday.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:45 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,048,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
Sounds like its time to form a union!
No, a union is not what is needed. Unions are the cause of this mess.

What is needed is employees who are willing to stand up to their employer. Instead of just being a doormat and accepting abuse from your employer, maybe every employee who currently commutes using the LIRR should meet with their boss and suggest some compromise solutions. I realize that not every solution would work for every employee or for every employer, and most of these suggestions will require some compromise on the part of the employer and/or the employee:

1. Allow at least some employees to work from home at least a few days during the strike

2. Allow employees to work non-traditional hours during the strike, so then can travel when traffic would be somewhat lighter

3. Pay for at least some employees to stay at a hotel in the city during the strike. Maybe that can be in lieu of a raise, or in lieu of some other benefit that the employee would otherwise have.

4. Allow employees to work a 10 hour day, 4 days a week during the strike

5. Encourage employees to reschedule their vacation to the week of July 21, if it is possible for them to do so

6. Allow employees to use vacation time during the strike if they have nothing urgent going on at the time. Maybe offer them the option of extra vacation time in lieu of a raise

7. Allow employees to work Saturdays and Sundays in lieu of 2 days during the week. (as much as I am against working on weekends, this is a case where it might be appropriate)

These are just a few ideas. It's a shame that it seems employers are playing hardball with their employees and threatening to fire them, rather than trying to work with them and come up with compromise accommodations. That is because employers know that their employees will just be doormats that will accept whatever abuse they are given. That is what happens when employees don't stand up for themselves. Again, I am so glad that I don't work in the city, and that I work on Long Island for an employer that actually respects their employees and treats us like human beings.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
No, a union is not what is needed. Unions are the cause of this mess.

What is needed is employees who are willing to stand up to their employer. Instead of just being a doormat and accepting abuse from your employer, maybe every employee who currently commutes using the LIRR should meet with their boss and suggest some compromise solutions. I realize that not every solution would work for every employee or for every employer, and most of these suggestions will require some compromise on the part of the employer and/or the employee:

1. Allow at least some employees to work from home at least a few days during the strike

2. Allow employees to work non-traditional hours during the strike, so then can travel when traffic would be somewhat lighter

3. Pay for at least some employees to stay at a hotel in the city during the strike. Maybe that can be in lieu of a raise, or in lieu of some other benefit that the employee would otherwise have.

4. Allow employees to work a 10 hour day, 4 days a week during the strike

5. Encourage employees to reschedule their vacation to the week of July 21, if it is possible for them to do so

6. Allow employees to use vacation time during the strike if they have nothing urgent going on at the time. Maybe offer them the option of extra vacation time in lieu of a raise

7. Allow employees to work Saturdays and Sundays in lieu of 2 days during the week. (as much as I am against working on weekends, this is a case where it might be appropriate)

These are just a few ideas. It's a shame that it seems employers are playing hardball with their employees and threatening to fire them, rather than trying to work with them and come up with compromise accommodations. That is because employers know that their employees will just be doormats that will accept whatever abuse they are given. That is what happens when employees don't stand up for themselves. Again, I am so glad that I don't work in the city, and that I work on Long Island for an employer that actually respects their employees and treats us like human beings.
Cuz there are no good co's in the city and no bad ones on LI, right?

Old 07-01-2014, 08:08 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,048,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Cuz there are no good co's in the city and no bad ones on LI, right?
There are definitely bad companies on Long Island. I just don't work for one. I'm sure there are good companies in the city (though not in my field), but the people posting in this thread don't seem to work for them if they exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island