Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 03:56 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,728,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
For someone who doesn't want to strike, your union heads are surely chatting it up big time.

Wonder if the courts could force all the fake disabled LIRR retirees back to work to start paying off all they owe?

Just once, I'd like to see the paying customers go postal on the workers after they come back.

Sorry to "derail" the OP, but getting tired of all this MTA nonsense.
I would love to see it, too. All the riders get on and tell the ticket takers "we're not paying; *********; we're on strike now"

Old 06-22-2014, 04:26 PM

181 posts, read 445,055 times
I've been trying to take my sweet-ass time showing tickets in the morning but it seems the conductors have gotten so lazy they don't even check anymore. They just go through and look for the right color. Some of them are nice, but I can't stand the ones that just grunt or give you an evil stare when they see your ticket. And for those who say conductors have physically demanding jobs, why are there so many obese ones? The least they have to do is waddle through the aisles....Them striking will result in some unintended consequences for them...with the internet these days, it would be pretty easy to expose the ones who can't control themselves in front of unruly passengers.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:09 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,633 times
I will work for home or my Melville office for the first week, if it goes longer than that I may crash at a family members place in Manhattan. Either way, I can't imagine driving in unless I was in the city before 6AM. Adding even a small percentage of LIRR commuters to the roadways will make that experience just miserable.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:14 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,545 times
On a side note, if they actually DO strike, some laws need to be changed.

Go ahead and strike to shut down 1 business. But shutting down a mass transit system ought to be ILLEGAL! for the same reason that cops aren't allowed to strike.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:36 PM

519 posts, read 597,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
I love this not working with a contract crying. Do you take a cut in pay? Did you have to pay higher benefit costs like everyone else in the private sector? Or did you just keep the sweet deal you have going?

You reap what you sow. Show disrespect to the paying customers via strikes, and they want to make your life as bad as you made theirs during the strike time.

I don't understand why you guys aren't forbidden to strike. Mass transit is supposed to be an essential service to keep the economy going. If it is not then start the layoffs and privatize it. You can reapply for your job.
People need to get mad. Mad as hell. and not take this crap anymore.

$67k average salary; It's really $120k with benefits and ot.

It shouldnt be hard to remove them all and find replacements at $50k with benefits.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:53 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,669,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post

So, it's being said that a strike is almost sure to happen because the already-overpaid employees are whining that they want more, more, more in addition to their double-pensions, free medical, huge salaries, etc.
You ask for relevant, non ignorant/snarky remarks, then you open your question with this? Which is snarky, and opinion.
Nice way to set the tone for the thread.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:55 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,408,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post

It shouldnt be hard to remove them all and find replacements at $50k with benefits.
So that's the problem today. Everyone is brainwashed to think we all should be paid less, and work more. How did this happen? 67k in pay is not all that wonderful. Don't get me started about the ot. They deserve to get paid extra for there time. If MTA wants to cut ot, hire more people and manage better!

Old 06-23-2014, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namogel View Post
I've been trying to take my sweet-ass time showing tickets in the morning but it seems the conductors have gotten so lazy they don't even check anymore. They just go through and look for the right color. Some of them are nice, but I can't stand the ones that just grunt or give you an evil stare when they see your ticket. And for those who say conductors have physically demanding jobs, why are there so many obese ones? The least they have to do is waddle through the aisles....Them striking will result in some unintended consequences for them...with the internet these days, it would be pretty easy to expose the ones who can't control themselves in front of unruly passengers.
There are plenty that are friendly, and go all out to be helpful. Then, there are those that just aren't. If you have (and show) a total disdain for the passenger, then you're in the wrong line of work. While Conductors do more than 'punch holes' perhaps a Conductor's position on a freight line is more for you.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
So that's the problem today. Everyone is brainwashed to think we all should be paid less, and work more. How did this happen? 67k in pay is not all that wonderful. Don't get me started about the ot. They deserve to get paid extra for there time. If MTA wants to cut ot, hire more people and manage better!
Totally agreed. I've said it before, overtime is a tool at the disposal of management to get work done within the current workforce. Each new head to cut down on OT has its other hidden costs, to a point the OT is cheaper.

Excessive OT is the fault of the boss, not the employee. If a Carman is making as much as the President (of the rr) then that Carman's manager should be held to account, not the carman.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post

What information did you use to determine that 50k is an apropriate salary?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island