Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 06:24 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,802,909 times

Advertisements

We left two years ago and while we have been back to visit, I love where we live. We moved just outside Pittsburgh, great schools, city is 20 mins away and we can actually have a life. We lived on Long Island for over 20 years, our kids were born there and we thought we would be there forever.

We are back to making close to what we did on long island, but do not have the parochial school tuition, property taxes are half of what we paid, insurance is less, and life is great. Is it greener on this side ; no, not at all. Nowhere is perfect. But we are much happier here and really do spend more time with our kids here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 09:29 PM

852 posts, read 968,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser199 View Post
Sold! Where do you live?
Sorry bud, but I'm not saying! [Nothing personal- But there are few NYers here, and I'd like it to stay that way )

It's kind of on the border of the midwest and the South.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Mumbly Joe

You said it brother! And a big "thumbs up" to the rest of your post. You got me beat on the property taxes, mine are $1500 a year for a 2000 sq. ft. home, in a neighborhood that is comparable to an upscale community in Westchester. As opposed to over $10,000 a year for an 1100 sq. ft. home in that run down dump of a city, Peekskill. I have a 10 mile round trip to the stores yet live in a quiet semi rural area. We have everything here in Arizona that we had in New York, but most important we have what New York doesn't have: Freedom from all that progressive BS. These people want to literally control every aspect of your life. Thank God there are better places to move to.
You're SO right! Freedom is my "main thing".

I built a garage last year- I didn't have to get permits and have inspections and pay fees. I just went and bought the wood and metal, and built me a 20x25 garage for under $3K. Ditto with my pool. And ditto the mobile-home I put on my property for my elderly mother to live in. Liberals seem to think that the nanny state helps the poor. It's just the opposite in reality. The nanny state makes everything much more expensive and unattainable. I have a friend back on LI (One of the few who remain there) who is worth quite a few million. I live much better than he does, and I make peanuts!

In the 13 years I've lived here, there hasn't been one robbery or break-in in my area. Every house has at least 5 guns. I leave my vehicles unlocked, and many nights I don't even bother to lock the doors of my house. We even have a law, that if someone breaks into your home, you don't have to "wait for them to try and kill you or threaten deadly force"- you can waste them, and YOU don't go to jail.

Want to go somewhere? You get in your car, and you drive 60 or 70MPH and likely won't have to come to a stop till you get there.

I hate fireworks, but I'm actually glad to see the tents pop-up every year around this time selling them. Just to know that we still have that freedom here.

Economic and personal freedom. It's what I'd wanted since i was a kid. Of course, with this still being America, the noose is tightening every year- one day, it'lll be like NY/NJ/MA/CA/etc. but for now, at least I've had 13 years of freedom and happiness.

And the funny thing is: Everyone says that you can make more on LI. Hah! Yeah, in numbers you can- but when it comes down to it, I have more money now (And I was pretty much broke after the move, getting set-up here) than I have ever had, because the cost of living is so much lower (At $50K a year on the Island, I was a pauper; and lived in a studio apartment!); and my quality of life is the best it's ever been. I look back on tyhe first 39 years of my life in NY as a total waste of time. The only thing I accomplished, was escaping from that place.

It makes me smile when I see others here, like yourself, who have also seen the light, and who are now able to enjoy their lives! It sounds as though you live in a very beautiful place too. I think NY has scarred me for life, though. Every day when I look at the panoramic views from my little ridge, and see woods and fields and cows, I think back to the cement jungle which LI has become, and am amazed that I can live like this, while people who could buy and sell me, can't back on LI.

Keep on enjoying the good life in AZ!!!!!! The best revenge, is living well.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:48 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,352,988 times
Mumbly Joe:
A big A-men brother, we are definitely on the same page! There's nothing like the taste of freedom. We've just got to insure that this nation doesn't lose it. Take heart, we do have states rights, let those who choose to remain there wallow in their own misery, for it is they who have the power to change it. It's a sure bet that Cuomo will still remain as governor. How about Shelley Silver? How long has he been speaker of the assembly? As you so aptly stated: "The best revenge, is living well." Good luck my friend, you've earned it. We have paid our dues, and it's now time to enjoy life.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:11 PM

413 posts, read 598,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
Sorry bud, but I'm not saying! [Nothing personal- But there are few NYers here, and I'd like it to stay that way )

It's kind of on the border of the midwest and the South.

You're SO right! Freedom is my "main thing".

I built a garage last year- I didn't have to get permits and have inspections and pay fees. I just went and bought the wood and metal, and built me a 20x25 garage for under $3K. Ditto with my pool. And ditto the mobile-home I put on my property for my elderly mother to live in. Liberals seem to think that the nanny state helps the poor. It's just the opposite in reality. The nanny state makes everything much more expensive and unattainable. I have a friend back on LI (One of the few who remain there) who is worth quite a few million. I live much better than he does, and I make peanuts!

In the 13 years I've lived here, there hasn't been one robbery or break-in in my area. Every house has at least 5 guns. I leave my vehicles unlocked, and many nights I don't even bother to lock the doors of my house. We even have a law, that if someone breaks into your home, you don't have to "wait for them to try and kill you or threaten deadly force"- you can waste them, and YOU don't go to jail.

Want to go somewhere? You get in your car, and you drive 60 or 70MPH and likely won't have to come to a stop till you get there.

I hate fireworks, but I'm actually glad to see the tents pop-up every year around this time selling them. Just to know that we still have that freedom here.

Economic and personal freedom. It's what I'd wanted since i was a kid. Of course, with this still being America, the noose is tightening every year- one day, it'lll be like NY/NJ/MA/CA/etc. but for now, at least I've had 13 years of freedom and happiness.

And the funny thing is: Everyone says that you can make more on LI. Hah! Yeah, in numbers you can- but when it comes down to it, I have more money now (And I was pretty much broke after the move, getting set-up here) than I have ever had, because the cost of living is so much lower (At $50K a year on the Island, I was a pauper; and lived in a studio apartment!); and my quality of life is the best it's ever been. I look back on tyhe first 39 years of my life in NY as a total waste of time. The only thing I accomplished, was escaping from that place.

It makes me smile when I see others here, like yourself, who have also seen the light, and who are now able to enjoy their lives! It sounds as though you live in a very beautiful place too. I think NY has scarred me for life, though. Every day when I look at the panoramic views from my little ridge, and see woods and fields and cows, I think back to the cement jungle which LI has become, and am amazed that I can live like this, while people who could buy and sell me, can't back on LI.

Keep on enjoying the good life in AZ!!!!!! The best revenge, is living well.
I admire your "freedom" and appreciation for where you live and I'd probably like it too... if I didn't have a wife, but it's not exactly everyone's cup 'o meat. If it were there would be a lot more people looking to share your rural utopia. Fact is, most around here cringe at the thought of the "freedom of 5 guns and a trailer on the lawn for mom!" They just want to be taxed less...and find a good lobster roll.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:24 PM

Recently Moved:
Out of curiosity I went to "Google Maps" and looked up Cary, NC placed the little man down on the streets in different neighborhoods, it looks pretty nice there. If it were not for my love of the southwest, Arizona in particular, I could easily live there. I think you'll be okay, once your friends and family come down to visit they might end up joining you.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:40 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,237 times
Quote:
Recently Moved:
Out of curiosity I went to "Google Maps" and looked up Cary, NC placed the little man down on the streets in different neighborhoods, it looks pretty nice there. If it were not for my love of the southwest, Arizona in particular, I could easily live there. I think you'll be okay, once your friends and family come down to visit they might end up joining you.
I am hoping to start the trend, but my family has no plans or interest in leaving NY.

It is very nice here "Ex", just doesn't feel like home. It doesn't help that we don't know a soul here. But I am here to give it a shot. I honestly do want it to work out. This thread was started on a day when I was so homesick, I felt like I was suffocating.

I appreciate your replies, and everyone else's

Old 06-25-2014, 01:18 PM

marigold69
Quote:
"Fact is, most around here cringe at the thought of the "freedom of 5 guns and a trailer on the lawn for mom!"
Another "fact" is that more people have left New York State during the past decade than any other state in the nation and are not moving back. Many do indeed love their "rural utopia" and not have to undergo a bureaucratic nightmare in order to possess an effective means to defend oneself both at home or in public. A lot of us out here "cringe at the thought" of the only ones being armed are the police, who are never around to prevent a violent crime from occurring and of course the criminals, who regardless of any laws will always remain armed. For the most part the only ones moving to New York are foreigners who more than likely will be dependent on New York's generous social welfare programs. Sooner or later as the "safety net" overflows it will sink the boat that cast it. The New York State legislature is also bought and paid for by the public employees unions with their generous salaries and benefits packages. This has been the cause of many local governments to go bankrupt. Detroit Mi., San Bernardino, Ca., Mammoth Lakes, Ca., Stockton, Ca., Jefferson County, Ala., Pritchard, Ala., Harrisburg, Pa., Scranton, Pa., Central Falls, R.I., Boise County, Idaho to name a few. New York is certainly headed in this direction as more people move leaving less people to carry the freight. I think you should start working on your wife before it's too late. I don't know if you own your own home, but if you do you may be stuck there like the citizens of Detroit as there will be no one in their right mind that would want to buy it. But please if you don't support the 2nd Amendment or have problems with law abiding citizens carrying guns either openly or concealed don't move to Arizona.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:09 PM

RecentlyMoved:
In checking out some of those neighborhoods, it looks like you can go for walks this is a great way to meet your new neighbors. We, like you did not know a single soul out here in Arizona. Just by walking around the neighborhood we quickly became friends with and practically know everyone in the neighborhood, they are all great people. It starts with a friendly "hello" usually they'll reply "Oh, I see you're new here" and then you're on your way to developing new friends. Our neighbors have become our second family and we have shared many of the holidays with them. We actually do more socializing out here than we did in New York. Sometimes when we go out for a half hours walk we don't get back for 2 hours as there are always people who we stop and talk with. Because of the beautiful weather out here people are always out and about. I also own antique cars, that was also a good avenue for meeting people with like interests. We also shop at the same supermarket and have become friendly with the employees and look forward to going grocery shopping. Our local gun store is like the neighborhood barber shop where customers and employees hang out, swap stories and political talk. You can always find others that have the same interests as you. We never felt homesick since the day we arrived. We were just so happy to be out of New York and move to, in my opinion the most spectacular place in the world! I'm glad that you are wiling to give it a shot, you seem like a warm friendly person, I don't see how you'll have any trouble making lifelong friends. By all means get your friends and family to visit you never know they could change their mind.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:18 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,237 times
"Ex New Yorker", you sure don't sound like most NYers I've met. You're way too nice LOL

Thank you again for your kind words and encouragement.

May I ask where you live in AZ? I was under the impression that the whole state is just HOT all the time. But you had mentioned previously that you live in central AZ, and the climate is moderate.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:47 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,273 times
Quote:
marigold69

Another "fact" is that more people have left New York State during the past decade than any other state in the nation and are not moving back. Many do indeed love their "rural utopia" and not have to undergo a bureaucratic nightmare in order to possess an effective means to defend oneself both at home or in public. A lot of us out here "cringe at the thought" of the only ones being armed are the police, who are never around to prevent a violent crime from occurring and of course the criminals, who regardless of any laws will always remain armed. For the most part the only ones moving to New York are foreigners who more than likely will be dependent on New York's generous social welfare programs. Sooner or later as the "safety net" overflows it will sink the boat that cast it. The New York State legislature is also bought and paid for by the public employees unions with their generous salaries and benefits packages. This has been the cause of many local governments to go bankrupt. Detroit Mi., San Bernardino, Ca., Mammoth Lakes, Ca., Stockton, Ca., Jefferson County, Ala., Pritchard, Ala., Harrisburg, Pa., Scranton, Pa., Central Falls, R.I., Boise County, Idaho to name a few. New York is certainly headed in this direction as more people move leaving less people to carry the freight. I think you should start working on your wife before it's too late. I don't know if you own your own home, but if you do you may be stuck there like the citizens of Detroit as there will be no one in their right mind that would want to buy it. But please if you don't support the 2nd Amendment or have problems with law abiding citizens carrying guns either openly or concealed don't move to Arizona.
Even with a population close to 20 Million, NY's population grew by 1% last year and 1.41% between 2010-2013 which was 31st in the country.

New York State Population 2013 | World Population Statistics
List of U.S. states by population growth rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island