Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 05:15 AM

181 posts, read 445,809 times

Advertisements

Well, I'm probably saying whatever everyone else is - the whole revenue not safety thing, especially if these will operate during weekend hours. For businesses located near schools (like some in the massapequa area), this is really going to hurt them.

I love speeders. If they're dangerous, they usually get out of my way on the road fairly quickly and I don't have to deal with them because I'm all the way in the back. THey also reduce congestions significantly.

It's not as simple as maintaining your speed. If you're not familiar with an area, there could be a sign that's in a blind spot (Patchogue road test site from when I took is notorious for this) and 20 itself is really slow. Easy to go past it without noticing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 06:22 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,074,835 times
Well, my friend, the king of speeding tickets just got one on Union Turnpike by the Cross Island...doing 42 in a 30.

Im so happy for these cameras. He has been collecting speeding tickets for 40 years...got one from the same cop, the same day, on the same street...one in the morning, one in the evening.

He will learn now...as soon as they see all the money this is going to bring in...and they will be expanded all over the place.

I love technology...it will keep us safer on the roads.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:46 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,818,033 times
Long Island motorists don't have a speeding problem, it's the crooked Long Island politicians that have a spending problem!

Old 08-04-2014, 06:51 PM

202 posts, read 265,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Well, my friend, the king of speeding tickets just got one on Union Turnpike by the Cross Island...doing 42 in a 30.

Im so happy for these cameras. He has been collecting speeding tickets for 40 years...got one from the same cop, the same day, on the same street...one in the morning, one in the evening.

He will learn now...as soon as they see all the money this is going to bring in...and they will be expanded all over the place.

I love technology...it will keep us safer on the roads.
You should take a road trip on the autobhan. No speed limit for most vehicles and it's one of the safest highways in the world.

Speed limits laws for the most part have nothing to do with driving safety, it's for air pollution. Once vehicles start going 50-65mph or more the fuel usages becomes less efficient, causing more exhaust emitted and leading to air quality problems. No joke.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:11 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,911,155 times
30to66at55, the first 6 minutes of this is relevant for you:
PSA: How to drive on a freeway

Old 08-05-2014, 01:46 PM

Union Turnpike is a freeway? Guess you need to get out of Long Island a bit more.

Get use to speed cameras, they will be all over the place. So get use to obeying the speed limit or get tickets.

Its really not that hard and you wont get to you destination that much longer.

BTW...the speed cameras will let you exceed the speed limit by 10 miles.

Of course, most will go more than that.

Take a look where they have them now....the city, and perhaps, Long Island will be issuing a ton of tickets...they are on speeding roads..No speeding anymore..thank god.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:55 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,525,221 times
Quote:
Union Turnpike is a freeway? Guess you need to get out of Long Island a bit more.

Get use to speed cameras, they will be all over the place. So get use to obeying the speed limit or get tickets.

Its really not that hard and you wont get to you destination that much longer.

BTW...the speed cameras will let you exceed the speed limit by 10 miles.

Of course, most will go more than that.

Take a look where they have them now....the city, and perhaps, Long Island will be issuing a ton of tickets...they are on speeding roads..No speeding anymore..thank god.
maybe they can start getting rid of some cops given sitting on the side of the LIE writing speeding tickets is such a huge part of their job.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:31 PM

Exactly....and maybe deploy the cops to higher crime areas.

Cant wait till they put cameras up to detect those people crossing into the HOV lane thru double white lines. And maybe detect tailgaters....

It will come.

The driving world is going to change. Everyone better change their horrible driving habits...no speeding, no tail gating.

A safer world is coming.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:57 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,525,221 times
Quote:
Exactly....and maybe deploy the cops to higher crime areas.

Cant wait till they put cameras up to detect those people crossing into the HOV lane thru double white lines. And maybe detect tailgaters....

It will come.

The driving world is going to change. Everyone better change their horrible driving habits...no speeding, no tail gating.

A safer world is coming.
great idea. I think we should get rid of cops altogether and let cameras and technology fight crime. And since Cuomo's safe act went in law, there is no gun violence at all anymore. So we really don't needs cops at all.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:10 PM

Its all about changing the reckless driving habits of those who choose to not obey the vehicular laws.

You will learn.

The writing is on the wall.

Change your bad habits now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island