Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 11:05 PM

37 posts, read 74,830 times

Advertisements

I have been with my realtor since November 08 and he has shown me perhaps 20 houses. My price range is $250k-$320k and I am looking for a 3br 1.5 bth starter home in a few specific areas (Levittown, Oceanside, Lynbrook and similar town) He showed me one in Jan that I liked (Found it on my own on mlsli.com) - put in an offer, they regected but are back now because the other accepted offer fell through. I called him to put in a new offer but the problem I have is that I think my realtor is lazy (20 houses in 4+ months???), not a good negotiator and since I found the house to begin with and have found out everything about the property on my own (he pretty much just filled out the paper work) DO I need to continue using this guy? Can I legally represent myself? Now before I get people PO'd at me realize I am not looking to rip the realtor off but I feel if I called the sellers realtor I can close this deal within a day, instead of the week I am sure I will have to wait for him to either get back to me or actually do his job. Why should I lose this house because my realtor sucks? And since I did all the research and negotiating I am wondering why I can't rep myself - but again, is that legal?

Anyway - I don't need a new realtor....I am tired of hearing the same BS over and over again....the pressure of buying a house a horrible enough but when the person representing me is lazy, I can't accept that.

oh, Not in contract with my realtor, I am preapproved and have 20% to throw down for deposit and have a bank account that will not slow down getting a mortgage.....I just need a house!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 05:38 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,139,915 times
if you found it on your own, you dont need him. toss him to the curb.
the guy who bought my house represented himself.

Old 03-08-2009, 05:38 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,976,419 times
Just don't answer the phone for a few days.

You need a "rest" from all of this, AND a new perspective.

You're just over LOADED with BS !

Old 03-08-2009, 05:51 AM

659 posts, read 2,516,432 times
If you are not happy with your realtor, you can easily find a new one. in this economy, I'm sure you can find a gung-ho real estate agent willing to help you. My parents once dealt with a lazy realestate agent. They quickly found a new one. what is interesting is the lazy one called my parents about a home after they already had their bid accepted on it with the good realtor. Talk about waiting to persue a home. There is no reason to be stuck with this realtor.
The realtor I used showed us 8 homes in 2 weeks and we made a decision quickly.

Also, if you found the home on your own, you definately don't need to go through the realtor. Good luck!

Old 03-08-2009, 05:55 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,216,939 times
Post Call His Boss!!!

All Realtors work on a commission basis......including his boss...who gets paid as a direct result of what his agents sell......so if you are not happy with him...speak to the office manager and tell him you are going to follow up with a complaint to the State of NY......no one in real estate wants to be investigated by the state...

You may also want to confer with your attorney to see what you legal obligations are to your current agent......after all...you would hate to close the deal only to find out you owe an additional commission to your old real estate agent......

Old 03-08-2009, 07:00 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,467,494 times
If you're not in contract with your current realtor, you have absolutely NO obligation to him whatsoever. However, I would take a look at whatever paperwork he "filled out" for you.... you never know if there's a stipulation in there saying he's entitled to a commission or whatever.

Legally, you can represent yourself in the purchase but you should have an attorney for the closing, etc, to make sure everything is correct.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
If you're not in contract with your current realtor, you have absolutely NO obligation to him whatsoever. However, I would take a look at whatever paperwork he "filled out" for you.... you never know if there's a stipulation in there saying he's entitled to a commission or whatever.

Legally, you can represent yourself in the purchase but you should have an attorney for the closing, etc, to make sure everything is correct.

EVEN if there was a contract, I would expend some energy to "break it"...meaning, examine the contract, reflect on the realtor's actions, get a professional "take" on it, and kick them to the CURB !

Perhaps, get the realtor to break it !

It doesn't take much, to send them packing, believe me.

Use your imagination.

E.G. Give them notice that you are going to remodel your house, or something....MAJOR renovations, ok ?

They don't want to waste time, on a losing proposition, these days.

Last edited by longislandmike; 03-08-2009 at 08:16 AM..

Old 03-08-2009, 03:15 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,273,545 times
I both bought my current home and sold my old house from ads in Newsday. I think it cost $15.00 a day for three days. That was it.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-09-2009, 06:00 AM

903 posts, read 3,578,994 times
I found my current home through writing letters to houses in the neighborhoods I liked-"Dear homeowner, My family is looking to buy a home in your neighborhood,,,," Someone who was on the fence called and we moved in in Oct. Because of the economy and news sellers might be afraid or think why bother but you might trigger someones interest with a letter. Also, a good real estate lawyer for contract and closing will be the best one to protect your interests.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I both bought my current home and sold my old house from ads in Newsday. I think it cost $15.00 a day for three days. That was it.

WOW, so they used to do something like THIS, before there were Real Estate Agents ?

6% or 7% SAVED, is MONEY IN THE BANK !

I'm sure MORE people are going to be doing this !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island