Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 02:04 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times

Advertisements

THIS past season it was cheaper to have electric heat in your home. I know from experience. I have oil heat & hot water. I also do property management at a large development with all units 100% electric. It was definitely cheaper running ALL electric including electric heat over oil useage and then factor in your regular bill.

It's probably an anomaly due to the coincidence of a total horror show of a winter and the high oil prices. Next year could be different who knows...
Right now nat gas is golden but that could change as well. I remember not too very long ago (late 90's?) When gas was more than oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 02:10 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman140 View Post
Update - Meenan oil quoted me 2400. Had a private plumber come by and give an estimate. He ballparked 2300-2400. Will let me know for sure tomorrow when the supply store is open.

If both are the same, should I go with the oil co. Or the private plumber?

Go with the oil company and see if they will offer you no interest financing as they did me. Also as the other poster said, they will guarantee their work.

Old 07-04-2014, 02:18 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
THIS past season it was cheaper to have electric heat in your home. I know from experience. I have oil heat & hot water. I also do property management at a large development with all units 100% electric. It was definitely cheaper running ALL electric including electric heat over oil useage and then factor in your regular bill.

It's probably an anomaly due to the coincidence of a total horror show of a winter and the high oil prices. Next year could be different who knows...
Right now nat gas is golden but that could change as well. I remember not too very long ago (late 90's?) When gas was more than oil.
People just dont get how expensive oil is. El is actually cheaper.

Old 07-04-2014, 03:08 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
People just dont get how expensive oil is. El is actually cheaper.
Well right now it is. That's why all this stuff is a crapshoot.
You never know when oil will drop or gas will rise.
Electric heat currently is cheaper than oil but I wouldn't recommend installing it into your home because pricing isn't stable enough.
Gas is still the way to go right now but again, that could all change in a heartbeat.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:11 AM

409 posts, read 512,085 times
Energy efficient and cost-effective

Tankless heater model is known to be highly energy efficient and consumes less power when compared to the traditional model. By making use of heaters with no tank, you will be able to heat the water without using much electricity. I can very well say that you will be saving about 60% of the heating costs. It cuts down on your bill amount to a considerable extent and helps saving money.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:25 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,865 times
I converted this house to natural gas from oil about 5 years ago, and it was an excellent decision. The savings is about $1K+ yearly, and the system has already paid for itself. There's a surplus of natural gas, so no worries that supplies will dwindle (at least not this generation). Things got a bit pricey this past winter due to the extraordinary cold weather, but I'm sure it would have been worse if I still had that old, inefficient oil burner and had to pay $3.75 a gallon.

If you can afford a conversion upfront, do it. A green energy conversion also improves the value of your house. Meenan did my installation. They did a good job, but I felt their marketing/upselling was a bit pushy.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Well right now it is. That's why all this stuff is a crapshoot.
You never know when oil will drop or gas will rise.
Electric heat currently is cheaper than oil but I wouldn't recommend installing it into your home because pricing isn't stable enough.
Gas is still the way to go right now but again, that could all change in a heartbeat.
I agree, I wouldn't put el heat in. But for a hot water heater, its a no brainer. We will never see cheap oil again.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:30 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanon13 View Post
Energy efficient and cost-effective

Tankless heater model is known to be highly energy efficient and consumes less power when compared to the traditional model. By making use of heaters with no tank, you will be able to heat the water without using much electricity. I can very well say that you will be saving about 60% of the heating costs. It cuts down on your bill amount to a considerable extent and helps saving money.
I heard about these, and wondering if there's any problem with hot water on-demand with these units. As I posted above, I converted to natural gas, and the system uses a conventional water tank. A tankless heater wasn't offered with these conversions.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:21 PM

1,609 posts, read 4,687,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
An electric hot water runs cheaper than oil, and is ALOT cheaper to buy.
NO way at least on Long Island an electric will be the most expensive to operate the cost of the unit might be less but not to operate

Old 07-06-2014, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
NO way at least on Long Island an electric will be the most expensive to operate the cost of the unit might be less but not to operate
OK, believe what you want. I will continue to save year after year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island