Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 11:09 AM

22,682 posts, read 36,850,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
The OP shouldn't feel discouraged. On $90k, they can buy a house. He just has to realize that anything can happen in 2 years.
For most people I'd agree. But for this guy - he's 31, has never lived anywhere but under his parents' roof, hasn't held a job till VERY recently - for most people homeownership is the next step in the logical progression of their life. There's no logic here at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 11:14 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,249,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
I agree..... great post. The big difference is that LIQUEST's job...and probably career path has a lot of uncertainty. if someone was..... say a delivery guy or a cleaning crew....odds of pulling a 100k in XX years is very slim....I wouldn't go buy a house based on that premise.

What's aggravating is there is way too many moving parts to speculate what will happen. He is better off hiring a fortune teller now

Agreed--salary is the most uncertain but we did it with almost $90k combined (actually a little under $90k). I wasn't expecting a salary adjustment when my new director took over and a promotion all within 2 years. Anything can happen. And the same on the downside--anyone can lose their job. Being able to afford the house itself isn't so much the issue. It's the tax increases and being able to keep cash on hand when the furnace needs to be repaired or a storm rips your roof off and it's not covered due to "acts of God"...those are things he really needs to worry about!

Old 07-22-2014, 11:14 AM

8,700 posts, read 11,099,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
For most people I'd agree. But for this guy - he's 31, has never lived anywhere but under his parents' roof, hasn't held a job till VERY recently - for most people homeownership is the next step in the logical progression of their life. There's no logic here at all.
don't forget expectation for other people to pay for his home down payment & his wedding too.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:26 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,399,965 times
Quote:
Thanks. I know they've already told him and a lot of people are snippy with him. I totally understand how he feels because the thought of buying a home is scary and nerve racking (both in a good and bad way). He's doing research but it's too early, we all know that, but at least he's doing it. How many threads do we see where people didn't do their research/due diligence and now they're stuck in crappy districts or put up fences and pools without getting variances, permits, CO's, etc? The more premature research I did, the crazier and discouraged I got. The OP shouldn't feel discouraged. On $90k, they can buy a house. He just has to realize that anything can happen in 2 years.
Comparing Bethpage, Levittown & Mass Pk to Plainview is not doing very good research. It's not hard to figure out that Plainview isnt comparable to those areas.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:29 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,249,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Comparing Bethpage, Levittown & Mass Pk to Plainview is not doing very good research. It's not hard to figure out that Plainview isnt comparable to those areas.
I didn't say his research was good lol...I'm just saying at least he's looking and seeing what's possible and what he probably may need to rule out. Personally, I ditched all 3 of those towns because of the taxes. They were already close to or over $10k when I was househunting 6 years ago. I didn't even bother with Plainview because taxes were well over $10k.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:29 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,858,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold69 View Post
I get it and frankly think your first post was great, spot on and informative. The OP (who seems to have a history of driving people batty on here) asked about towns and so many responses have been Suze Ormond style lectures on affordability. I just like to take the devil's advocate viewpoint. If every "greatest generation" member waited until they could actually properly afford a house Levittown would still be potato fields and the LIRR wouldn't run past Babylon. I trust people to make their own stupid financial decisions and home buying is probably the most popular of them all! People should do what's in their heart and bust their ass to make it work. The American way!
Are you aware that Levitt houses were originally rentals?

Old 07-22-2014, 11:30 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,399,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
don't forget expectation for other people to pay for his home down payment & his wedding too.
This is a big mistake on his part. Just like the uncertainty in his life, his parents will also have some uncertainty - everyone does. Yes it would be great if they do give him the $70k in 2 years but you just never know - someone gets sick, they have to move. It's just silly to make all these plans and do all this research now and drive us all crazy when no one knows what will happen 2 years from now.

Not only that but he is all over the place - Yaphank, now Nassau. Pick a general location you want to be in and we can try to help.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:39 PM

480 posts, read 669,825 times
Quote:
Thanks. I know they've already told him and a lot of people are snippy with him. I totally understand how he feels because the thought of buying a home is scary and nerve racking (both in a good and bad way). He's doing research but it's too early, we all know that, but at least he's doing it. How many threads do we see where people didn't do their research/due diligence and now they're stuck in crappy districts or put up fences and pools without getting variances, permits, CO's, etc? The more premature research I did, the crazier and discouraged I got. The OP shouldn't feel discouraged. On $90k, they can buy a house. He just has to realize that anything can happen in 2 years.
Everyone should read and understand bellakins post. They are 100 percent correct. As for others they are indeed snippy and I choose to ignore those types. This poster is what others should aspire to do. Be kind, polite and have a convo. Not a jab.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:42 PM

413 posts, read 599,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Are you aware that Levitt houses were originally rentals?

Way off topic, but you're right, there were originally rentals. Until the GI Bill gave everyone a loan to buy one.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:41 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,788,229 times
Bethpage homes near Grumman are cheap for a reason. There are many cancer clusters in that section. I could post all the news articles and links to people in that area which have been diagnosed with cancer over the past 2 decades, but there are so many if you just google. There is one which I did bookmark a few weeks ago that was a study commissioned by SUNY Stony Brook that showed every cancer cluster all over Long Island, and the sections that showed red flags were mostly concentrated around Bethpage and parts of East Farmingdale. There are also issues with the water quality and levels of toxins that still remain on the ground from manufacturing plants that were there many years ago (even though EPA claims they have cleaned up many sites all over the Island, I still remain skeptical and drink only filtered water from my fridge).

Plainview's taxes are quite high compared to the other sections being compared (Levittown, Mass Park). As others have noted, the advice given to OP on this thread and on several others have been quite on point. The consensus is correct that OP's method of doing research is rather....'unconventional' to say the least. As an example: OP reached out to me via DM for details on my home which is currently listed for sale. Our home is definitely within his price range (under $300K w/ taxes of $8K in south shore Nassau) so he should know more or less what he and his future wife can afford and what options there are at least in many of these Nassau towns by now. As aptly pointed out, the real question is how stable is OP's job and can he count on having that salary in the next 2 years. A lot of things can happen between now and then. But it seems that all the prior info he has been given in older threads have fallen on deaf ears.

Last edited by LegalDiva; 07-22-2014 at 01:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island