Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 01:44 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,894,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIQUEST View Post
Everyone should read and understand bellakins post. They are 100 percent correct. As for others they are indeed snippy and I choose to ignore those types. This poster is what others should aspire to do. Be kind, polite and have a convo. Not a jab.
Can you please kindly go get a pre-qualification and let us know how it goes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 01:49 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,766,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Thanks. I know they've already told him and a lot of people are snippy with him. I totally understand how he feels because the thought of buying a home is scary and nerve racking (both in a good and bad way). He's doing research but it's too early, we all know that, but at least he's doing it. How many threads do we see where people didn't do their research/due diligence and now they're stuck in crappy districts or put up fences and pools without getting variances, permits, CO's, etc? The more premature research I did, the crazier and discouraged I got. The OP shouldn't feel discouraged. On $90k, they can buy a house. He just has to realize that anything can happen in 2 years.
I would argue he's done no such thing. And much of the legit feedback he's been given has been ignored.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:04 PM

8,697 posts, read 11,091,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
I would argue he's done no such thing. And much of the legit feedback he's been given has been ignored.
like one other poster here, he only wants to hear what he wants to hear.....the rest will be dismissed....new duplicate threads will be reappearing endlessly

Old 07-22-2014, 02:04 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,391,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Can you please kindly go get a pre-qualification and let us know how it goes?
This is a really great suggestion, LIQUEST, so you should listen to this b/c the bank may not even qualify you and then all this research would be for nothing. Get a qualification and know what you can afford instead of throwing arbitrary #'s around.

I'm no expert but my thinking is you wont be able to afford low 3's.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:06 PM

8,697 posts, read 11,091,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
This is a really great suggestion, LIQUEST, so you should listen to this b/c the bank may not even qualify you and then all this research would be for nothing. Get a qualification and know what you can afford instead of throwing arbitrary #'s around.

I'm no expert but my thinking is you wont be able to afford low 3's.
A decent mortgage broker will tell him what he can afford. Always have all your financials ready for inspection. They do this all day

Old 07-22-2014, 02:09 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,243,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
like one other poster here, he only wants to hear what he wants to hear.....the rest will be dismissed....new duplicate threads will be reappearing endlessly

LOL...awww, c'mon, I'm just being nice

Old 07-22-2014, 02:16 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,965,037 times
What happened to settling on beautiful Holbrook?

I mean Yaphank?

I mean Nesconset?

I mean Lake Ronkonkoma?

I mean Hauppauge?

I mean Huntington?

I mean every other damn town on Long Island you have listed?

Old 07-22-2014, 02:23 PM

538 posts, read 1,008,446 times
Buying a house is no easy task

Understand this now

Try to save as much money

Try to do some real research

Focus on saving for big tax bills

Usually the taxes are the killer

Careful on asking so many questions

Kinda hard to ask everyday

Everyone is a little uptight

Research, research, research

Old 07-22-2014, 02:50 PM

480 posts, read 669,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
Bethpage homes near Grumman are cheap for a reason. There are many cancer clusters in that section. I could post all the news articles and links to people in that area which have been diagnosed with cancer over the past 2 decades, but there are so many if you just google. There is one which I did bookmark a few weeks ago that was a study commissioned by SUNY Stony Brook that showed every cancer cluster all over Long Island, and the sections that showed red flags were mostly concentrated around Bethpage and parts of East Farmingdale. There are also issues with the water quality and levels of toxins that still remain on the ground from manufacturing plants that were there many years ago (even though EPA claims they have cleaned up many sites all over the Island, I still remain skeptical and drink only filtered water from my fridge).

Plainview's taxes are quite high compared to the other sections being compared (Levittown, Mass Park). As others have noted, the advice given to OP on this thread and on several others have been quite on point. The consensus is correct that OP's method of doing research is rather....'unconventional' to say the least. As an example: OP reached out to me via DM for details on my home which is currently listed for sale. Our home is definitely within his price range (under $300K w/ taxes of $8K in south shore Nassau) so he should know more or less what he and his future wife can afford and what options there are at least in many of these Nassau towns by now. As aptly pointed out, the real question is how stable is OP's job and can he count on having that salary in the next 2 years. A lot of things can happen between now and then. But it seems that all the prior info he has been given in older threads have fallen on deaf ears.
If I remember correctly you live in Baldwin and that's not really an area that we are interested in.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:54 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,391,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIQUEST View Post
If I remember correctly you live in Baldwin and that's not really an area that we are interested in.
With your income, you may not have a choice LIQUEST. You have to remember that. Some of the areas you are interested in you may not be able to afford and you may have to be flexible about certain things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island