Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2017, 09:26 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
A lot of things cause cancer. That is why I am saying I do not think it is largely attributed to the plume. I think it had some influence in causing it in that area - it is not the sole, nor is it the main cause, in my opinion.

They have a review of the area like later this year or something. Until someone proves 100% that it has caused cancer in that area, I have my theory on it and I'm sticking to it.

I am also not alone in my thinking. You guys are not any more right than I am wrong.

Time will tell what this thing is actually doing.

While many things may cause cancer, what is in the plume has been identified by scientists as known carcinogens. When the NYS DOH creates a map showing incidents of cancer and there are 3 above average clusters circling Grumman and including the plume, it stands to reason that something dumped at Grumman has negatively impacted the health of the residents.

Time has revealed a creeping plume full of toxins; it has forced agencies to build monitoring wells (which have helped map the plume's movement) and made water districts to take costly actions. If the cancers and autoimmune diseases my family, friends, neighbors and myself have suffered (and died) from are not indicative of the plume's toxic content, the goverment would not be doing anything in an effort to mitigate the damages. People have been complaining for decades. Time has told them something is wrong.

If it were you or your loved ones suffering, you would be vociferous rather than obtuse.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 09:48 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Yes and unfortunately by then it will be too late. You don't have kids and don't plan on it if I'm remembering correctly, having kids changes things drastically. Not just for their health, but for wanting to be, well, alive for them as long as possible. Waiting until you GET the cancer is not what most people want to do.

As far as cancer clusters there have been plenty on Long Island, I remember one in Syosset when I was a kid growing up, nearly every woman on the street got breast cancer in a very short time period. Friends from college knew of one in Rockland County where they lived - again, almost everyone on the street got cancer at some point, including lots of kids. The government has never, to my knowledge, acknowledged any cancer cluster. If you want the government to run your life, go ahead and wait for the cancer. My DH grew lived in Stewart Manor when he was a kid - all of the kids his brother's age (including his brother) had myriad health problems as kids and adults, including cancer. JUST that age - very odd.

It's not just that cancer is occurring, either....it's the types of cancer. If you see a bunch of people in one area getting thyroid or kidney cancer that is a huge red flag. So is a high incidence of childhood cancers.

You can try to protect your property value all you want but the fact of the matter is most people are not going to want to take a chance of living on a plume when there are plenty of other places to live. Not sure why this is so hard to comprehend.
But so many people live in that area and many people are continuing to buy there. I hear you that there are other places to live, but why are people still continuing to buy in that area then? Either they don't know about the plume or they don't feel it's a large enough threat.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:44 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,962,988 times
Quote:
Either they don't know about the plume or they don't feel it's a large enough threat.
But buyer's lack of research or denial is not reason enough. If there was even the hint of a threat of something like this, why would you buy there? Its not like what's found in Bethpage can't be found in other places without that reputation. Even from a resale standpoint it doesn't make sense.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post
But buyer's lack of research or denial is not reason enough. If there was even the hint of a threat of something like this, why would you buy there? Its not like what's found in Bethpage can't be found in other places without that reputation. Even from a resale standpoint it doesn't make sense.
Fair enough.. but why then isn't that area seeing an influx of people leaving then?

If you felt your life was in danger, wouldn't you up & leave ASAP? That doesn't seem to be going on Bethpage...

if it was a serious huge threat, don't you think people would be leaving in droves?

I'm not denying something is there but it's certainly not like Chernobyl or anything...

Old 07-27-2017, 01:14 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,943,583 times
Quote:
Fair enough.. but why then isn't that area seeing an influx of people leaving then?

If you felt your life was in danger, wouldn't you up & leave ASAP? That doesn't seem to be going on Bethpage...

if it was a serious huge threat, don't you think people would be leaving in droves?

I'm not denying something is there but it's certainly not like Chernobyl or anything...
They probably don't know just like you and I didn't know until perusing on here.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:08 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
They probably don't know just like you and I didn't know until perusing on here.
Or, more likely since there has never been a scientific cause and effect link between the plume a hundred feet below the surface and cancers on the surface educated people are reluctant to make positive claims linking the two. A factor not mentioned here is that where "cancer clusters" have been located on Long Island it has been found that certain ethnicities with a high rate of those cancers are found in the same areas in high numbers. Alarmist rhetoric does nothing to further understanding of the situation.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:14 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,962,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
the plume a hundred feet below the surface and cancers on the surface
That's where the water is...

Old 07-28-2017, 09:28 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
But so many people live in that area and many people are continuing to buy there. I hear you that there are other places to live, but why are people still continuing to buy in that area then? Either they don't know about the plume or they don't feel it's a large enough threat.
I'm sure there are a lot of people who don't know about it. Disclosure laws in NY suck. Put this plume in any other state and the neighborhood will be abandoned in 10 years. Long Island is also different from any place I know of where people are absolutely desperate to live as close to where they grew up as possible....and if it was good enough for mom and dad (and still is) then it's good enough for their kids.

It is also not always that easy to just up and move...unfortunately there are people no doubt stuck in those homes. Either they overpaid, it will cost too much to close on another home, they've put work in to make it the way they want it and don't want to start over, they qualified for the loan on two incomes and now there's only one, the kids have started school....inertia can be harder to overcome than fear.

Plus there are people who think like you - willing to take a chance. If it all works out for them, great....if not...oopsie.

I'm not sure why there are no gradations of danger here - why is it that it's either Chernobyl or it's safe?

Old 07-28-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I'm sure there are a lot of people who don't know about it. Disclosure laws in NY suck. Put this plume in any other state and the neighborhood will be abandoned in 10 years. Long Island is also different from any place I know of where people are absolutely desperate to live as close to where they grew up as possible....and if it was good enough for mom and dad (and still is) then it's good enough for their kids.

It is also not always that easy to just up and move...unfortunately there are people no doubt stuck in those homes. Either they overpaid, it will cost too much to close on another home, they've put work in to make it the way they want it and don't want to start over, they qualified for the loan on two incomes and now there's only one, the kids have started school....inertia can be harder to overcome than fear.

Plus there are people who think like you - willing to take a chance. If it all works out for them, great....if not...oopsie.

I'm not sure why there are no gradations of danger here - why is it that it's either Chernobyl or it's safe?

The media is overhyping it like they do everything... in my opinion.

Because if I was going to die, saving my life would be a lot more important that any mortgage or any work I put in to my house.

Actions speak louder than words. People aren't leaving b/c there is very little threat.

My 2 cents.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:35 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Quote:
The media is overhyping it like they do everything... in my opinion.

Because if I was going to die, saving my life would be a lot more important that any mortgage or any work I put in to my house.

Actions speak louder than words. People aren't leaving b/c there is very little threat.

My 2 cents.
I don't rely on the media either. They can only report what they are told. I look at the data directly within the scientific community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island