Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2014, 07:45 AM

67 posts, read 125,124 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are first time homeowners trying to select a new entry home door. We spoke to several contractors that sort of came in, threw an installation cost together and said "pick a door" from this catalog. We were originally looking at Thermatru Doors, but it is a big hassle for us to select the right options with these contractors that want to rush since it is technically a smaller job for them.

We found a company called "Royal Doors and Windows" out in Commack NY. They took their time went through every option with us and we feel comfortable with them. They manufacture their own doors in Long Island so it is not a name brand. The only caveat is I think the price is really high (I don't mind paying more for quality, but this is about $1000 - $1500 more)

Has anyone had an experience with Royal Doors and Windows in Commack? We were trying to select them or a Thermatru door. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 08:08 AM

158 posts, read 380,010 times
I had Home Depot install our Therma-tru door. They did a great job. It was about 10 years ago, so I can't help you with a price. The door has held up well.

Matt

Old 08-21-2014, 02:20 PM

10 posts, read 14,904 times
just hire a few mexican guys. thats what those "contractors" do

Old 08-21-2014, 05:42 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,644,273 times
I remember that the doors we chose from had privacy ratings from about 3 to 10, 10 being the most difficult to see through. We ended up with a 7 in that it has patterned glass from top to bottom that is hard to see through, and when the sun shines through the glass it has a crystal look. We're very happy with the door and the installation (installation is what most of it's about - you don't want a door that's not plumb, and also it has to be installed so there's no drafts), and we also added a storm door that has a deadbolt on it.

About 7 or 8 years ago I hired someone who turned out to be a sub par contractor in Stony Brook who installed a new front door, and it definitely was rather drafty. We lost plenty of heat in the winter. It can be very difficult to get a good contractor - do your research and ask reliable people (ie, a good plumber, electricial) who they'd recommend.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:13 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,329,322 times
Setting a door in an existing opening takes about 30 mins. (tops) unless the rough opening is out of square. ThermaTru doesn't make high end doors. I'm not saying they're "bad" just that their undifferentiated from the competition in their category. Royal makes fiberglass doors which will cost more than steel but less than mahogany. A door manufacturer that makes custom sizes will tend to be more expensive than a company that doesn't; even if a common size is ordered. FYI, we have a 36" wide Pella Mahogany (wood) w/o side or fan lights that cost about $2,500.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:36 AM

186 posts, read 243,931 times
Don't make it more complicated than it needs to be. You will not go wrong with a fiberglass Therma-Tru door. They manufacture great doors for the money.

Find a contractor you're comfortable with that will do a quality installation. The installation is "key" to the longevity of the door and it's performance.

Don't believe the post above me about installing a door in 30 minutes. That post only proves how much misinformation there is on the internet.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:43 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,761,376 times
I've been happy with Unified Windows, Doors, and Siding installing doors in my previous home as well as my current home. Doors are an art, the least thing wrong and they don't work right. Unified has dedicated people who only do doors, and they do a great job. Also, their steel doors come with steel frames, adding strength as well as looks, and also come with hinges that have bearings, making their operation much smoother. I recommend them highly, and their showrooms are open Sundays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: