Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 11:13 AM

9 posts, read 19,540 times

Advertisements

Hello!

New to the forum but I've been reading some great threads of info and need some LI help.

My husband and I are looking at a home in Wantagh in the Forest City section and wanted to know if there are differences in property taxes inside sections of Wantagh, ie. Forest City vs Wantagh Woods. Do some neighborhoods have higher taxes than another? Is there any neighborhoods in Wantagh we should avoid?

Also how do property taxes compare across Merrick, Bellmore, Wantagh and Massapequa?

The house we like doesn't have a garage. Is getting approval to build a garage hard in Wantagh? How close can we build to the property line?

My last question (I think), the house we are looking at has oil and we want to switch to gas. There is already gas coming into the house for the stove. What's the average cost to do the switch and how long does it usually take? Any recommendations on how to get this started and who to use?

Thank you so much everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 12:55 PM

573 posts, read 1,244,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGR101213 View Post
Hello!

New to the forum but I've been reading some great threads of info and need some LI help.

My husband and I are looking at a home in Wantagh in the Forest City section and wanted to know if there are differences in property taxes inside sections of Wantagh, ie. Forest City vs Wantagh Woods. Do some neighborhoods have higher taxes than another? Is there any neighborhoods in Wantagh we should avoid?

Also how do property taxes compare across Merrick, Bellmore, Wantagh and Massapequa?

The house we like doesn't have a garage. Is getting approval to build a garage hard in Wantagh? How close can we build to the property line?

My last question (I think), the house we are looking at has oil and we want to switch to gas. There is already gas coming into the house for the stove. What's the average cost to do the switch and how long does it usually take? Any recommendations on how to get this started and who to use?

Thank you so much everyone!
The Forest City section of Wantagh (or North Wantagh as some people call it) is in the Levittown School District; Wantagh Woods is in the Wantagh School District. The taxes will vary because of the different school districts.

Are you familiar with the My Nassau Property site? You can look up any property in Nassau and find the taxes on it.

If you are asking whether there are any areas of Wantagh to avoid because of crime, then no, you don't have to avoid any areas.

I am not sure whether it's hard to get approval for a garage in Wantagh, that's governed by the Town of Hempstead so check with the building department. Check the Town of Hempstead Town Code for distance from property line.

Good luck!

Old 09-23-2014, 05:04 PM

1,386 posts, read 5,352,108 times
Wantagh is a mish mosh of different areas with different building styles and feels. I wouldn't say there is an area to avoid, just that some are nicer than others, and some have different features than others.

The break down includes
Levittown vs Wantagh Schools
In the Levittown school section, I can think of 3 different differentiators, Forest City is its own area(with basements), there are the ranch houses (with basements) east of Wantagh parkway, there are the levitt ranches and capes with no basements.
in the Wantagh schools section, there is Wantagh woods, what I consider pesudo Wantagh woods (ranches just south of Jerusalem), Forest Lake, Twin Lake, Manadaly and I'm sure I'm missing a few areas mainly east of Wantagh parkway south of sunrise. All have slightly different feels

Generalizing, I find Wantagh taxes slightly higher than bellmore taxes. I find the Levittown taxes on the high side as well.

It wouldn't be hard to add a garage, if you meet the proper setbacks and coverage ratios on the lot, check with the town of Hempstead, they would govern the building.

FWIW, I bought in the Forest Lake section of Wantagh and really like it there. I do love the Forest city area as well, and the park there. When we looked there wasn't really a good value on the market in that area.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unctorious View Post
The Forest City section of Wantagh (or North Wantagh as some people call it) is in the Levittown School District; Wantagh Woods is in the Wantagh School District. The taxes will vary because of the different school districts.
Thank you so much for your reply! I appreciate the feedback. It appears we are in the Levittown School District. We don't have children yet but plan to and it seems that school district is good (maybe not as good as Wantagh SD) but still good. If anyone in the forum has experience with both SDs, I'd love a comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unctorious View Post
Are you familiar with the My Nassau Property site? You can look up any property in Nassau and find the taxes on it.
YES, thank you. It's been very helpful gaining access to the property's history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
Generalizing, I find Wantagh taxes slightly higher than bellmore taxes. I find the Levittown taxes on the high side as well.
Thanks for the reply!! Does this include taxes in North Wantagh? which I believe the house is "technically" located in, even though is looks like North Bellmore on a map and the address says Wantagh, LOL. It's very confusing..

Quote:
It wouldn't be hard to add a garage, if you meet the proper setbacks and coverage ratios on the lot, check with the town of Hempstead, they would govern the building.
Do you happen to know if the property line distance for building a structure in North Wantagh is 2 feet or 5?

Quote:
FWIW, I bought in the Forest Lake section of Wantagh and really like it there. I do love the Forest city area as well, and the park there. When we looked there wasn't really a good value on the market in that area.
Awesome! We are very excited to move. We almost bought in Baldwin but we were uncomfortable with some of the recent crimes in the area near the home AND the school district concerned us so we are thrilled to hear such positive reviews about Wantagh.

I REALLY appreciate the feedback and answers! They are so helpful for such a big decision in our lives.

Any info on the oil to gas thing would be great too! Thanks so much everyone.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:37 AM

13,064 posts, read 18,168,969 times
re: Oil as long as you currently have it in the home, you should call a plumber and ask about the conversion. Call several my sister got quite a range.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:13 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,460,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
re: Oil as long as you currently have it in the home, you should call a plumber and ask about the conversion. Call several my sister got quite a range.

If Oil prices continue their downward spiral the gas option becomes less viable. At times of cheap oil gas companies start offering deals to convert. They offer no deals usualy when oil prices are hight.

Also if you have no kids and heat is low all day as both work it lessons the difference.

I have a friend who lives in a 1,200 square foot place with Electric Heat, Electric Hotwater on Long Island, she pays $140 a month with the least efficient method. Why she is single and works full time. The heat is set very low 12 hours a day and AC very low 12 hours a day.

If she was a stay at home mom with four kids the electric heat and electric hot water would bankrupt her

Old 09-24-2014, 07:53 AM

56 posts, read 89,161 times
Forest City "looks" like North Bellmore, has a Wantagh Zip and goes to Levittown schools. LOL
Im not sure what Elementary School you are slated for, but the Middle School will be Salk and the HS is McArthur. The taxes are just ridic for Levittown and Wantagh, regardless of what school you go to. Wantagh is just smaller.
Good Luck!

Old 09-24-2014, 08:29 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,789,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGR101213 View Post
Thank you so much for your reply! I appreciate the feedback. .......

We almost bought in Baldwin but we were uncomfortable with some of the recent crimes in the area near the home AND the school district concerned us so we are thrilled to hear such positive reviews about Wantagh.

I REALLY appreciate the feedback and answers! They are so helpful for such a big decision in our lives.

Any info on the oil to gas thing would be great too! Thanks so much everyone.
I live in Baldwin and this is a shame to hear. What "recent crimes" are you referring to exactly? The only major one is the Love Jones on Grand Ave and that was obviously in NORTH Baldwin and involved all people who don't even live in Baldwin. As for the school district, are you afraid of "diversity" (aka blacks/minorities going to school with your kids? ). Good luck with the Oil to Gas conversion. If none of your neighbors have Gas Heating/Cooking, and National Grid has to run a gas line from street to your house, expect to pay upwards of $ 6 - 10K for the whole thing. Oil heat is a complete money wallet drainer.

Old 09-25-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat123 View Post
Forest City "looks" like North Bellmore, has a Wantagh Zip and goes to Levittown schools. LOL
Im not sure what Elementary School you are slated for, but the Middle School will be Salk and the HS is McArthur. The taxes are just ridic for Levittown and Wantagh, regardless of what school you go to. Wantagh is just smaller.
Good Luck!
This has taken me a while to figure out! I think the home is slated for Lee Road ES. Is that a good school?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
I live in Baldwin and this is a shame to hear. What "recent crimes" are you referring to exactly? The only major one is the Love Jones on Grand Ave and that was obviously in NORTH Baldwin and involved all people who don't even live in Baldwin. As for the school district, are you afraid of "diversity" (aka blacks/minorities going to school with your kids? ). Good luck with the Oil to Gas conversion. If none of your neighbors have Gas Heating/Cooking, and National Grid has to run a gas line from street to your house, expect to pay upwards of $ 6 - 10K for the whole thing. Oil heat is a complete money wallet drainer.
We were in the local 7/11 and the clerk told us about a homicide at the Sec 8 housing just a few blocks away. In addition, there was an apartment complex that had loud music playing and TONS of people outside just hanging out, and this was just down the street from the home we were looking at. The kids were walking up and down the street constantly at 11pm at night. We just want something quieter. My husband is Puerto Rican and my in laws are all mixed races so no, diversity isn't a problem. This was just south of Sunrise Hwy. I don't know the area very well so I don't know if this is North Baldwin ??

Again, thank you everyone for the information. It has been VERY VERY helpful!

Any dog lovers on the forum -- I'll need a local VET when we move. Anyone have good experience with vets in the area?

Old 09-25-2014, 12:54 PM

56 posts, read 89,161 times
Lee Road is a great Elementary School !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island