Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 01:46 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I propose a tax on wiring money out of the country. Tax all those MoneyGram and Western Union outbound transactions, for example.
Tax the bejeebers out of wire transfers and reduce aid by the amount of remittances transferred to a given country.

As U.S. Economy Recovers, Central American Migrants Get To Send Money Home Again | Fox News Latino

Quote:
U.S. Latino immigrants sent an overall $53.8 billion to Latin American nations – more than double the amount sent in 2000...

The U.S. is the most important source of remittances to Latin America, in fact, 17 Latin American countries receive more money from immigrants in the U.S. than they do in foreign aid. According to World Bank data cited by Pew, remittances accounted for a tenth or more of the gross domestic products of El Salvador (16.5%), Honduras (15.7%), Guatemala (10%), and Nicaragua (9.7%).

Latin nations received a total of just $6.2 billion in aid – eight times less – than the remittances pumped into the region's economies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 01:49 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Word has it, the perp was a legal resident and the hero was an illegal.
Westbury Attempted Rape Witness Chases Away Suspect | Long Island News from the Long Island Press

Quote:
The suspect is described as a Hispanic man with a medium build, facial hair, 40 to 50 years old who was wearing blue jeans, brown boots and a black hooded jacket.
We know he's Hispanic. Whether or not he was an illegal is yet to be determined.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:49 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
On the way to the 6:58am train this morning, there's a guy burning garbage bags full of trash right in the LIRR Parking lot off Scally Place.
I called 911 and NCPD wasn't interested in responding and transferred me over to the Westbury FD. The first responder truck showed up as my train pulled in. What a joke this town is. I feel like I am living in Brentwood now. I cant take much more, its getting so bad. Maybe after seeing this you'll believe me now?

The last one is really a hoot..."Westbury Village has Surviellence Cameras for your Safety". Well they never work or are never checked. Code Enforcement is USELESS..., they can't be bothered to get off their lazy ass to do their job!
Your thread title seems to have nothing to do with your original post. Why is that?

Old 10-24-2014, 11:37 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 View Post
Can you imagine the meltdown here if that were true? Whineinwestbury would be spinning so fast he'd drill himself into the ground
You sound like one of those people who pray terrorist suspects aren't Muslim even though they nearly always are. It's understandable - once you've invested the time to suppress your brain's natural and usually reliable habit of grouping people based on past experience, it is quite a chore to dig yourself back out.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:35 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
You sound like one of those people who pray terrorist suspects aren't Muslim even though they nearly always are. It's understandable - once you've invested the time to suppress your brain's natural and usually reliable habit of grouping people based on past experience, it is quite a chore to dig yourself back out.
That suggests there is one, and I like to think that a person would show some compassion for another human being who is having trouble in this world due to mental illness.

Old 10-25-2014, 02:31 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,280,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
You sound like one of those people who pray terrorist suspects aren't Muslim even though they nearly always are.
Yes, that sounds exactly like me. WALLA JIHAD!

Old 10-28-2014, 09:52 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,766 times
Some complain about Post Ave being deserted, and dark at night.
Glad I'm not the only one who is afraid to walk thru town at night!
Nassau PD releases sketch of suspect in attempted rape | Verizon FiOS1 News - Long Island

Old 10-31-2014, 11:05 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,208,196 times
Was thinking about this as will be going to The Space tomorrow night. Cousin is in town & surprised me with tickets. We are going as a group so I am sure it will be fine & will probably be crowded anyway with extra security. Have not been in that specific part of Westbury since at least 99. Have extended family that lives in Old Westbury so I go there few times a year. But never really go south of the NSP on Post Ave.

We will see...what we see tomorrow night. Weather suppose to be horrible so the people John complains about probably wont be out & about.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:39 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Was thinking about this as will be going to The Space tomorrow night. Cousin is in town & surprised me with tickets. We are going as a group so I am sure it will be fine & will probably be crowded anyway with extra security. Have not been in that specific part of Westbury since at least 99. Have extended family that lives in Old Westbury so I go there few times a year. But never really go south of the NSP on Post Ave.

We will see...what we see tomorrow night. Weather suppose to be horrible so the people John complains about probably wont be out & about.
Let me know what you think! The Space building itself is very nice and I think you will be impressed. But you'll see what I mean about the deserted looking streets and the street lighting. Yeah the weather should keep the loiterers away, once it gets cold they go away like bugs.
Part of the reason why fall & winter are my favorite times of year, well that and not sweating and being thirsty walking around.
After the latest incident I really hope people start singing a chorus to the village on the vagrancy & lighting issues. They need more code enforcement patrols too. They just need to have what they did after Sandy, when the power was out Code Enforcement patrols were going up and down Post Ave constantly, so they can do it. I did feel safe here even with the power out as a result & we didn't have any looting.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:18 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,208,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Let me know what you think! The Space building itself is very nice and I think you will be impressed. But you'll see what I mean about the deserted looking streets and the street lighting. Yeah the weather should keep the loiterers away, once it gets cold they go away like bugs.
Part of the reason why fall & winter are my favorite times of year, well that and not sweating and being thirsty walking around.
After the latest incident I really hope people start singing a chorus to the village on the vagrancy & lighting issues. They need more code enforcement patrols too. They just need to have what they did after Sandy, when the power was out Code Enforcement patrols were going up and down Post Ave constantly, so they can do it. I did feel safe here even with the power out as a result & we didn't have any looting.
Will let you know. If anyone tried anything they will regret it if you know what I mean. As business owners that have been robbed before we (especially my cousins) know how to protect themselves. Always ready & well trained & one of them is a police officer in Buffalo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island