Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2014, 11:46 AM

429 posts, read 853,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Can you please quote who posted that depressed are more of a drain than illegal immigrants? I can't seem to locate it anywhere. I for one found it interesting that an able bodied young man was able to live rent free. A well travelled young man at that. Travelling daily on busses and trains which requires a modest amount of stamina and mental toughness which even the healthiest of man could find unbearable. Just sounds weird.
As for Westbury though, why aren't people protesting in large numbers? Enough people together to demand enforcement of the laws of this country?
First of all, I think the "I find it interesting" line is a cover for the fact that you are truly judging a situation you know little-to-nothing about. He may be "able-bodied" but being able-bodied and able-minded are two different things. Maybe part of his program is that he is in counselling or receiving evaluations and/or medication. I don't know for sure, but what I do know is that he is clearly eligible for the program he benefits from and it benefits more than just him by doing what it can to keep him healthy and off the streets.

This isn't a person who had 5 kids and put himself and all of them on welfare. It's someone with a (self-described) mental illness who is receiving help that he is entitled to.

It sounds to me like you have a preconceived notion of what mental illness looks and acts like and that by the way he conducts himself, your don't deem him actually "mentally ill." I'm sorry, should I be addressing you as "Doctor Long Isle"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 04:40 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
what...you being a lifelong welfare leech?

John, ignore him.

“Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”
Martin Luther King Jr.

The above is a fine example of what Dr. King was talking about.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:06 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,875 times
this might help answer your question, John. Westbury is a sanctuary city.

Sanctuary city, sanctuary, sanctuary cities, sanctuary city list, list of sanctuary cities, list, Ohio, jobs, OJJPAC, justice, illegal alien, immigration, amnesty, undocumented, ICE, NYC, IIRIRA, Huston, Chicago, Phoenix, Steve Salvi

Sanctuary cities in NY:
Albany, NY
Bay Shore, NY
Brentwood, NY
Central Islip, NY
Farmingville, NY
New York City, NY
Riverhead, NY
Shirly/Mastic, NY
Spring Valley Village, NY (Added 7-25-07)
Uniondale, NY
Westbury, NY

" The consequences of sanctuary policies. What you can do.

Sanctuary policies--official or otherwise, result in safe havens (or safer havens) for illegal aliens involved in a variety of criminal enterprises--since their illegal schemes are less likely to be uncovered and face less risk of deportation if caught by local law enforcement. Sanctuary policies also provide an environment helpful to Latin American drug cartels, gangs, and terrorist cells--since their activities are less likely to be detected and reported by law enforcement.

Some sanctuary cities (e.g., Chicago and San Francisco) even receive millions of dollars in federal State Criminal Alien Assistance Program grants to compensate for the cost of jailing illegal alien criminals--even though city sanctuary policies act to encourage illegal alien settlement."

Old 10-17-2014, 12:52 AM

2,940 posts, read 8,323,539 times
All I can say is it's sad some people don't understand what Mental Illness is about. I've had it since I was born, and have struggled all my life. It's easy for some people to come here & put others down, I bet it would be much harder for them to say those things to my face!
I've said over & over again I am not against immigration, I don't care what color people are or what they look like. All I ask is for them to respect the community. These illegals do not. For those of you who dont understand, how about you see your town get taken over by people who sit around on sidewalks, in public spaces, parking lots, and congregate getting drunk, throwing trash everywhere, being rowdy, and being a general nuisence? Seeing threatening looking men who appear to be gang members staring you down on the street, which you are afraid to walk down? Then being told because you're mentally ill you don't deserve to live someplace safe? If that's seriously the attitude prevalant among LI'ers than I will have to leave. I'm not looking to move to Garden City or Great Neck, just someplace that doesn't have these vagrants loitering around, decent transportation, and things within walking distance. Imagine the struggle of dealing with Mental Illness, then having to deal with additional stresses of public safety & transportation?
It's obvious Westbury will never change, our Mayor recently replied to one of my latest complaints saying it's "illegal to disperse loitering men". So they won't do anything about it, even though according to the Village Code I read, it is indeed illegal to loiter without purpose in public spaces, especially if alcohol is being consumed. Time & time again he runs unopposed. I'd love to see Westbury dissapear off the list of Sanctuary Cities, but as long as an attitude like that is in Village Hall, these illegals aren't going anywhere, heck, they know that, they sit all around town like they own it because THEY DO.
Some friends have told me not to post this kind of stuff on the internet, but I have to vent, I'm only human. If you saw this happening in your community, wouldn't you? I wish I could just leave, I'm trying to, but once again, thanks to that Mental Illness, I can't. That's the sad thing, someone who really NEEDS to live in a better place MAY NOT be able to, and instead be trapped somewhere where he is miserable. Sure there are worse places, but illnesses such as mine need positive change to improve. Seeing negative things everyday I set foot outside is not helping. No amount of antidepressant will either (& I am on meds and have been for my whole life).
Anyway, I'm done explaining it. It's sad that many LI'ers would rather see illegals get better treatment than mentally ill citizens, but I always appreciate the few that care. It's too bad those aren't the ones in power. I try to make the best of things, pray, that's all I can do for now. If I can't find another place in a decent area, then I will have to leave LI. I'm not going to spend the rest of my life trapped here somewhere that is adding salt on the wound that is mental illness.

Last edited by Johninwestbury; 10-17-2014 at 01:07 AM..

Old 10-17-2014, 01:04 AM

2,940 posts, read 8,323,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csteen85 View Post
Wow, I cannot believe there are people on here that believe someone like JohnInWestbury is more of a drain on our resources than people who come into our country illegally and don't contribute to our economy in the form of taxes.

I don't have a problem with immigration, I have a problem with illegal immigration. They need to be subject to all of the same rules and laws we are - regardless of their race or personal back story.

As far as mental illness goes, when a US citizen is benefiting from a program that was designed for people in need of it, you'll never hear a peep out of me. People who complain about the money/resources spent on the mentally ill don't stop to think that if those resources didn't exist... where would they go? You want mentally ill people roaming the streets with nowhere to live or get help? If we do nothing about it, it becomes EVERYONE'S problem.

JohninWestbury has been very open about his personal struggles. He feel uncomfortable in the area he is restricted to living (due to circumstances beyond his control). How is this bad? He's not contributing to the problem, he's trying to bring awareness to it and do something about it. I have lived in places as a renter where I felt uncomfortable. Guess what? I didn't do a thing about it, except leave and not buy a house there when it was my time to be a home owner.
I wish I had that choice to leave, I would have been out years ago. It is reaching a head now, that if I can't get any help moving within LI I will consider leaving the state altogether. Certainly a monumental task for someone like me, but I shudder to think what another few more years in Westbury will do to me.
I have Depression, Anxiety Disorder, IBS, Sleep problems, Panic Attacks, and seeing what's happening to the town all around me makes it that much worse.
If it wasn't for this damn illness I would love to run for Mayor of Westbury, Cavallaro needs to go along with the Village Board, they've been there for years & haven't done a damn thing except cater to illegals.
Sure the town has a new Theater for Performing Arts, but the illegals are still here, more of them than ever, on the bus home tonight we must've dropped off 10-15 of them, most of them were intoxicated & stumbled off the bus at Post & Maple aves.
I was attacked many years ago by a loose Pit Bull owned by an illegal & the village gave the guy a slap on the wrist, even let him keep his dog. It's a joke. And these same ppl have been running this town for years.
I just post here to sound off, I wish others would read this & band together and get some positive change.
But it seems everyone that cared moved out or they simply don't drive down thru town. It's hard to be quiet when you see people that come here and spit in the face of this town, and the town does nothing about it. Got nothing against diversity, but come here legally & respect the community instead of treating it like a toilet.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:52 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
All I can say is it's sad some people don't understand what Mental Illness is about. I've had it since I was born, and have struggled all my life. It's easy for some people to come here & put others down, I bet it would be much harder for them to say those things to my face!
I've said over & over again I am not against immigration, I don't care what color people are or what they look like. All I ask is for them to respect the community. These illegals do not. For those of you who dont understand, how about you see your town get taken over by people who sit around on sidewalks, in public spaces, parking lots, and congregate getting drunk, throwing trash everywhere, being rowdy, and being a general nuisence? Seeing threatening looking men who appear to be gang members staring you down on the street, which you are afraid to walk down? Then being told because you're mentally ill you don't deserve to live someplace safe? If that's seriously the attitude prevalant among LI'ers than I will have to leave. I'm not looking to move to Garden City or Great Neck, just someplace that doesn't have these vagrants loitering around, decent transportation, and things within walking distance. Imagine the struggle of dealing with Mental Illness, then having to deal with additional stresses of public safety & transportation?
It's obvious Westbury will never change, our Mayor recently replied to one of my latest complaints saying it's "illegal to disperse loitering men". So they won't do anything about it, even though according to the Village Code I read, it is indeed illegal to loiter without purpose in public spaces, especially if alcohol is being consumed. Time & time again he runs unopposed. I'd love to see Westbury dissapear off the list of Sanctuary Cities, but as long as an attitude like that is in Village Hall, these illegals aren't going anywhere, heck, they know that, they sit all around town like they own it because THEY DO.
Some friends have told me not to post this kind of stuff on the internet, but I have to vent, I'm only human. If you saw this happening in your community, wouldn't you? I wish I could just leave, I'm trying to, but once again, thanks to that Mental Illness, I can't. That's the sad thing, someone who really NEEDS to live in a better place MAY NOT be able to, and instead be trapped somewhere where he is miserable. Sure there are worse places, but illnesses such as mine need positive change to improve. Seeing negative things everyday I set foot outside is not helping. No amount of antidepressant will either (& I am on meds and have been for my whole life).
Anyway, I'm done explaining it. It's sad that many LI'ers would rather see illegals get better treatment than mentally ill citizens, but I always appreciate the few that care. It's too bad those aren't the ones in power. I try to make the best of things, pray, that's all I can do for now. If I can't find another place in a decent area, then I will have to leave LI. I'm not going to spend the rest of my life trapped here somewhere that is adding salt on the wound that is mental illness.
you shouldn't have to justify yourself to anyone. the internet brings about keyboard "tough guys" who become something really ugly when given the opportunity to speak anonymously. Don't give them a 2nd thought.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:07 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
you shouldn't have to justify yourself to anyone. the internet brings about keyboard "tough guys" who become something really ugly when given the opportunity to speak anonymously. Don't give them a 2nd thought.
Brings to mind the quote my parents always repeated, "Never criticize a man until you have walked a mile in his moccasins.". I agree with you, Anonymity brings out bullies.

Old 10-17-2014, 02:25 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,890,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Brings to mind the quote my parents always repeated, "Never criticize a man until you have walked a mile in his moccasins.". I agree with you, Anonymity brings out bullies.
should johm not be held to the same standards? he would not know the difference between an illegal or legal if it sat on him. continue to defend him regardless ofwho he offends.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:57 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,367,774 times
If I had a dollar for every time someone blamed Mental Illness for their short comings or lack of drive...

Old 10-17-2014, 07:36 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,355,916 times
Johninwestbury:
You write very well and seem to have your head on pretty straight. You should be proud. You are very astute regarding what is happening around you. Which is more than can be said for a lot of people who don't have a mental illness. The same thing was happening where I lived. Believe me just living in New York and putting up with all that crap is indeed depressing, you are not alone. My wife and I have never been happier since we left, it was such a burden lifted off of our shoulders leaving all that crap behind. Fortunately for you there is a way out and you are planning ahead. There is light at the end of the tunnel. Leaving the state is not such a bad thing. There are plenty of other places throughout the United States where you can move to that you will be perfectly happy in. There's nothing like waking up in the morning and enjoying the taste of freedom! Don't let it get you down, my friend you will be okay! I sincerely wish you all the best.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 10-17-2014 at 07:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island